Minelab Customer Service - No Joke

Minelab is serious about their US service.

Sent my Nox by priority mail Thur., arrived there Sat. Got there in 2 days.

They called me @9:00 this Mon. morning.It been tested, diagnosed and a new control unit is being sent out today.

I sent Whites, Garretts and Fishers in for service and have always been happy with their service departments.

Minelab just blew them away with their service.I am impressed.

Shipping hint: Remove control head from shaft. Control head, coil and headphone will fit in a large flat rate box.

• Like 2

The Nox is essentially non-repairable apparently, there is no nondestructive way to open the control box.  Any fault in the control box and you get a new one back.  Makes for quick service turn-arounds. expect to see more of this in future machines from other makers - service is a money losing proposition, much faster just to replace.

• Like 1

What do they do with the Nox if the battery pack dies is that not built in on the unit?

12 hours ago, Rick Kempf said:

The Nox is essentially non-repairable apparently, there is no nondestructive way to open the control box.  Any fault in the control box and you get a new one back.  Makes for quick service turn-arounds. expect to see more of this in future machines from other makers - service is a money losing proposition, much faster just to replace.

It's a losing proposition for the customer.

This is not good. What happens, if let's say the day after you warranty expires a cold joint on the PC board fails? You call service, tell them your detector no longer works, you are told it is OOW and there is a flat fee of $XXX.XX for control head replacement.

If the detector was serviceable, it would be a cheap easy fix, maybe free, once factory service saw a failure caused by something like a bad solder joint. But instead now, you have to buy a new head. 

It also adds to the cost of the detector to the consumer. Minelab knows the will be a certain percentage of in warranty failures, that is factored into cost. Repair cost has always be cheaper than replacement cost, so that adds to the price of the detector.

This is going to be interesting as the Nox come out of warranty. Is there going to be a flat fee for head replacement or will they be able to diagnose the problem, such as a simple cold joint and base the repair cost on that? Head replacement $XXX.XX, repair cold joint $X.XX.

wise words being said by phrunt! I don't worry at all what happens after end of warranty as Minelab is a company that wants to keep their customers happy. I had my SDC2300 sent in and it took a loooong time + 3 months. I have to say it wasn't Minelab's problem. The German importer caused the delay. Minelab in Ireland was real fast and a pleasure to deal with. That was the reason for me to purchase a Nox 800 instead of a DEUS. I fully trust Minelab and their products. I can't really say how much fun I have with my Nox 800. I hope there is my first bit of gold with a MD left in California.......

• Like 2

Ahh good, thought it might be like an iPhone or iPad. That would be a pain.

• 3 weeks later...

After less than one year and maybe 20 cycles the battery charger for my SDC2300 quit working. I tried several different things like different batteries, using both 12 volt and 110ac and the unit would not charge. I called MineLab explained my problem and received an RA number. Shipped old charger out on a Tuesday priority mail, they received it on Thursday and I got a confirmation email that they had received it.

On Monday I got another email saying the unit had been repaired and was being shipped out. On Friday I received a brand new charger with new batteries (10 days from my original shipment including one weekend). Outstanding customer service and shipping times have made me a happy camper and the SDC is ready to go - Thanks to MineLab

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad you also had a positive experience with MineLab customer service. 

• 1 month later...

I finally couldn't take the random falsing on my Profind 35 and called in for an RMA. This time I got outstanding service! My previous encounter was not all that pleasant but glad they came through. The pointer is really nice and iron signal actually works!