Sign in to follow this  
DeltaDigger

Button Finds With The Orx. Questions About Tones?

I found these buttons yesterday with the ORX. Two of the buttons were "D" buttons and one was a "V" button. While I'm glad the ORX hit the targets I'm unsure how I was able to tell if they were digable targets. Granted I don't have a lot of hours with the ORX but I'm having significant problems trying to identify good targets. The target ID numbers seem to be unreliable and the tones seemed to be slurred once you get past the iron tone. I'm not knocking the machine but was hoping for some tips on the "how to" of recognizing the "dig me" targets.

I have the HF Elliptical coil and I'm detecting in fairly trashy areas. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks for looking!

Any chance XP will push an update that may help with TID and tones?

IMG_0030.JPG

• Like 2

18 hours ago, DeltaDigger said:

I found these buttons yesterday with the ORX. Two of the buttons were "D" buttons and one was a "V" button. While I'm glad the ORX hit the targets I'm unsure how I was able to tell if they were digable targets. Granted I don't have a lot of hours with the ORX but I'm having significant problems trying to identify good targets. The target ID numbers seem to be unreliable and the tones seemed to be slurred once you get past the iron tone. I'm not knocking the machine but was hoping for some tips on the "how to" of recognizing the "dig me" targets.

I have the HF Elliptical coil and I'm detecting in fairly trashy areas. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks for looking!

Any chance XP will push an update that may help with TID and tones?

IMG_0030.JPG

Alright full disclosure here.  I haven’t run ORX.  I have loads of Deus experiences.  I have read ORX manual and have watched some videos of ORX done by folks.

First off. Ground balance being off in soil other than mild can cause targets to sound not as pure.

Second.  Coin fast and coin deep.  Seems they are using different filters.  You can’t change them while in a mode like Deus (per reactivity setting).

Duller sound sounding targets can be caused by some masking.  ID of nonferrous targets with iron present will skew ID, drive down real low even into iron range.

You need to get a good tuned ear.  Dig, dig and dig on signals not textbook yet not what I call hard iron fault signals.  There is loads of grey area with Deus (and apparently with ORX) as far as reporting nonferrous presence of object under the coilmwhwn sweeping.

Some on top of the ground testing using scenarios where you set booby traps for your ORX May give some clues to its possible behavior tonally in the wild detecting. This is exaclty what I did with Deus.  On top of the ground testing won’t give you all the info you need though.  Be sure to test some mixed (both ferrous and nonferrous) objects.  Like shotgun shells in various orientations, button with steel backs and or steel loops, etc.  Overall buttons are good ones to test too.  Get yourself a magnet and check your test targets, and believe it or not check all your finds made with ORX with magnet.  You may find this both educational and beneficial for future detecting outings with ORX.  You’ll remember how some targets sound when you located in the wild.  And the magnet may tell you some of the whys behind.

See the manual here.  Note top of  page 4. What it says.  

http://www.xpmetaldetectors.com/telechargement/Instruction_manual/ORX_MANUAL_EN.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Tnsharpshooter said:

Alright full disclosure here.  I haven’t run ORX.  I have loads of Deus experiences.  I have read ORX manual and have watched some videos of ORX done by folks.

First off. Ground balance being off in soil other than mild can cause targets to sound not as pure.

Second.  Coin fast and coin deep.  Seems they are using different filters.  You can’t change them while in a mode like Deus (per reactivity setting).

Duller sound sounding targets can be caused by some masking.  ID of nonferrous targets with iron present will skew ID, drive down real low even into iron range.

You need to get a good tuned ear.  Dig, dig and dig on signals not textbook yet not what I call hard iron fault signals.  There is loads of grey area with Deus (and apparently with ORX) as far as reporting nonferrous presence of object under the coilmwhwn sweeping.

Some on top of the ground testing using scenarios where you set booby traps for your ORX May give some clues to its possible behavior tonally in the wild detecting. This is exaclty what I did with Deus.  On top of the ground testing won’t give you all the info you need though.  Be sure to test some mixed (both ferrous and nonferrous) objects.  Like shotgun shells in various orientations, button with steel backs and or steel loops, etc.  Overall buttons are good ones to test too.  Get yourself a magnet and check your test targets, and believe it or not check all your finds made with ORX with magnet.  You may find this both educational and beneficial for future detecting outings with ORX.  You’ll remember how some targets sound when you located in the wild.  And the magnet may tell you some of the whys behind.

See the manual here.  Note top of  page 4. What it says.  

http://www.xpmetaldetectors.com/telechargement/Instruction_manual/ORX_MANUAL_EN.pdf

Thanks Tnsharpshooter. I was in coin deep, and probably should have been in coin fast considering the area was fairly contaminated. In my opinion, It just doesn't have that "dig" me tone that I'm accustomed to hearing. Maybe it's operator error, maybe I'm not use to the tones. I'll follow your advice and keep listening and learning.

Question, does the Deus have that clear "dig" me tones in contaminated spots or does it have the many shades of gray also? Some of my spots are really trashy and I really need to descriminate on what I'm digging. The clean areas are easy to dig all the targets, the trashy spots not so easy.

Edited by DeltaDigger
Correction

3 hours ago, DeltaDigger said:

Thanks Tnsharpshooter. I was in coin deep, and probably should have been in coin fast considering the area was fairly contaminated. In my opinion, It just doesn't have that "dig" me tone that I'm accustomed to hearing. Maybe it's operator error, maybe I'm not use to the tones. I'll follow your advice and keep listening and learning.

Question, does the Deus have that clear "dig" me tones in contaminated spots or does it have the many shades of gray also? Some of my spots are really trashy and I really need to descriminate on what I'm digging. The clean areas are easy to dig all the targets, the trashy spots not so easy.

Deus will give many shades of grey while using 2 tones, 3 tones, 4 tones, etc.  and also full tones.  Deus running pitch tones and some disc like say levels 6-8 gives more of a go no go kinda signal.  No grey really.  You can’t run your ORX like Deus though using pitch tones it seems based on manual.

This shades of grey not bad.  Definitley better than giving no recognizable signal at all.  Can be challenging though.  Some folks running Deus.  They may only be digging more textbook sounding targets.  And are I think likely leaving some nice finds buried walking right by.

Would be nice to actually see ORX and Deus compared over a few booby trapped scenarios using same coil to see how similar or how different they really are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tnsharpshooter said:

Deus will give many shades of grey while using 2 tones, 3 tones, 4 tones, etc.  and also full tones.  Deus running pitch tones and some disc like say levels 6-8 gives more of a go no go kinda signal.  No grey really.  You can’t run your ORX like Deus though using pitch tones it seems based on manual.

This shades of grey not bad.  Definitley better than giving no recognizable signal at all.  Can be challenging though.  Some folks running Deus.  They may only be digging more textbook sounding targets.  And are I think likely leaving some nice finds buried walking right by.

Would be nice to actually see ORX and Deus compared over a few booby trapped scenarios using same coil to see how similar or how different they really are.

I agree with you on the comparison. Use the same coil, same klz, and use the closest program available with both machines. That would be interesting. I'll be back in the field after the weekend and will operate it on coin fast to see if the tones change. 

• Like 1

The ORX limits on tone ID with just 3 tones is in play here as discussed above.  I could live with that tone limitation if XP saw fit to also provide pitch tone as an option.  Be careful about Coin fast.  Coin fast utilizes an automatic silencer filter which quiets the machine down in thick iron but can also exacerbate non-ferrous masking.  Overall, the signal processing of coin fast vs. coin deep results in quieter overall operation even if you take silencer out of the equation.  If auto silencer is implemented on ORX similar to Deus than it should be turned off at Reactivities 2.5 and above (which is also where you probably want reactivity to be in super thick iron anyway).  I would give high reactivity coin fast a spin at this site.  Also, you might want to experiment with Gold mode.  It can ultimately give you a pitch-like tone deeper than the coin modes but of course no Tone ID (only visual target ID) and takes some getting used to because it also does not use traditional discrimination but instead an iron audio cancel setting that just breaks up signals it thinks are probable ferrous.  Good luck.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1