Does anyone know of any war nickels that don't have silver content except for the 1942.

15 minutes ago, Allan said:

Does anyone know of any war nickels that don't have silver content except for the 1942.

From A Guidebook of Buffalo and Jefferson Nickels by Q. David Bowers:

Production of regular-alloy nickels took place at the Philadelphia and Denver mints through the end of the summer (1942).  On October 8, 1942, the silver-content began to be used, after which through the end of the year, the Philadelphia and San Francisco mints producted the new coins.  The wartime silver alloy was continued in use past the end of World War II, until December 1945.  From 1943 through 1945, coinage was effected at all three mints.  (and later) In 1946 the regular alloy was resumed, and it has been continued ever since.

So, the answer is 'no', at least by intent.  This doesn't rule out occasional (rare) errors where the wrong alloy or wrong planchet (e.g. a penny planchet being struck with 5 cent dies) resulted in anomolous production.

• Like 2

Some 42s are deemed war nickels by virtue of silver content.

See here,

http://www.coinflation.com/coins/1942-1945-Silver-War-Nickel-Value.html

Remember, by what you are asking, some 1941 nickels could be deemed  (war nickels ) made during US involvement in WW2.  Those minted after Dec 9, 1941.  

2 hours ago, Allan said:

Look up Henning nickles, no silver in them and no large mint mark either.

Wish I could find one.

Wow, I've been collecting Jefferson nickels since 1970 and I didn't know about the Henning nickel.

Does anyone know if they would come out of the ground dirty as a regular Jefferson? I have about 500 niks to go through but for me it would be well worth it if I had one in the mix. I have several War Niks and one of em is the 43' S high tone. Would love to have a Henning.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Happa54 said:

Does anyone know if they would come out of the ground dirty as a regular Jefferson? I have about 500 niks to go through but for me it would be well worth it if I had one in the mix. I have several War Niks and one of em is the 43' S high tone. Would love to have a Henning.

I have no idea, but given the weight difference (5.4 g for the Henning vs. 5.0 g for legal tender), that would be a good first pass.  Since most never made it to circulation it would be a longshot, but then so are many of the rare finds posted here.

I'd settle for a 1939-D myself.  😉

War nickels I have found don't get that copper color and usually stay gray or silvery.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By phrunt
      As many GPX owners may know the GPX has toggle switches, they're quick and easy to use, but they're also quick and easy to bump... you can spend half a day detecting in a mode you didn't mean to by accident unless you check them regularly.  It's happened to me all too often.
      I have a Steelphase SP01 audio enhancer for my GPX and on it's toggle switch is a handy little guard that stops you bumping it's on/off switch.

I've decided I want to add something like this to my GPX to prevent me screwing up bumping the switches but I can't find where to buy them, I'll have to keep hunting around online and see, and also check electronics shops next time I'm in town. 
      Has anyone done something like this to their GPX or am I the only clumsy one bumping the switches all the time?  If so what switch guards were best?  There appears to be a lot of different designs.
    • By phrunt
      I'm a bit puzzled on timings, I've pretty much left mine in sensitive extra since getting it and it seems the go-to timing for around here.  I only use mono coils and I'm  basically chasing tiny gold in soils with very low mineralisation, 1 gram is huge for me so we are talking 0.0X to 0.3 gram bits on average that I am chasing.  I was looking at timings charts on this site here and found the two best options for me below, I think.  Sharp appears to be best if using a DD, does that mean I'd be best off sticking with my sensitive extra seeing I use a mono coil or is a DD coil worth considering?
      I'm trying to see if there is a way I can scratch out a bit more depth on these little nuggets.
      This chart is the one that throws me out the most, basically no timings are "Excellent" for mono coils except Fine Gold, Enhance and Sens Smooth which are more for mineralised soils, only DD coils seem to have Excellent for the timings I'm trying to use for the small gold in mild soils..... 😕

And this chart below describes the two timings I think might be best for me.
      Mild
      Mineralization Sharp
      (GPX 4500, 4800, 5000)
      Sharp is similar to Normal but creates a more powerful detection field. It is capable of an improvement in depth, but is more susceptible to interference and will increase the severity of false signals in difficult grounds. This timing is best used in quiet conditions and can work well in combination with Deep Search Mode with a reduced Rx Gain setting. Sharp is an excellent tool for pinpointing faint signals due to the very "sharp" signal response. Sharp will work best with DD coils in most gold field locations. Medium Low
      Mineralization Sensitive Extra
      (GPX 4000, 4500, 4800, 5000)
      This timing may increase the signal from certain hot rocks near the surface, but can actually help smooth out the Threshold in certain ground types, particularly with Double-D coils. In mild ground conditions Sensitive Extra will provide the best signal response on a small, deep target.
    • By Voyager32
      I’m waiting for my Anfibio multi to arrive and was curious if anyone has tried wireless earbuds with the Nokta detectors, I have an equinox 600 and use them sometimes, also an Avantree clip on transmitter with my Tony Eisenhower Waterproof headphones, it’s nice to have options, would also like to make an adapter so I can use Tony’s headphones underwater with the Anfibio. 
    • By Againstmywill
      I found this at the same place the 1899 Barber Dime came from, the old farm where I grew up in Wisconsin. It appears to be brass, and the thin strip of metal makes a "bwonggg" sound when plucked. Any guesses?

• By Steve Herschbach
      How many of you have a non-human prospecting or detecting buddy? Dog, cat, burro, reconnaissance bird... whatever. Post a pic and tell us about them. Here is  chance to brag about our best friends! 
    • By Hard Prospector
      Well my Sand Shark is about finished so time to shop for a new dedicated (salt water ) beach detector. This machine will be dedicated to wet sand and/or surf only environment. Currently considering the ATX and TDIBH,, any suggestions / input would be appreciated.............Thanks!
      Rob