15 minutes ago, Allan said:

Does anyone know of any war nickels that don't have silver content except for the 1942.

From A Guidebook of Buffalo and Jefferson Nickels by Q. David Bowers:

Production of regular-alloy nickels took place at the Philadelphia and Denver mints through the end of the summer (1942).  On October 8, 1942, the silver-content began to be used, after which through the end of the year, the Philadelphia and San Francisco mints producted the new coins.  The wartime silver alloy was continued in use past the end of World War II, until December 1945.  From 1943 through 1945, coinage was effected at all three mints.  (and later) In 1946 the regular alloy was resumed, and it has been continued ever since.

So, the answer is 'no', at least by intent.  This doesn't rule out occasional (rare) errors where the wrong alloy or wrong planchet (e.g. a penny planchet being struck with 5 cent dies) resulted in anomolous production.

• Like 1

Wow, I've been collecting Jefferson nickels since 1970 and I didn't know about the Henning nickel.

Does anyone know if they would come out of the ground dirty as a regular Jefferson? I have about 500 niks to go through but for me it would be well worth it if I had one in the mix. I have several War Niks and one of em is the 43' S high tone. Would love to have a Henning.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Happa54 said:

Does anyone know if they would come out of the ground dirty as a regular Jefferson? I have about 500 niks to go through but for me it would be well worth it if I had one in the mix. I have several War Niks and one of em is the 43' S high tone. Would love to have a Henning.

I have no idea, but given the weight difference (5.4 g for the Henning vs. 5.0 g for legal tender), that would be a good first pass.  Since most never made it to circulation it would be a longshot, but then so are many of the rare finds posted here.

I'd settle for a 1939-D myself.  ?

War nickels I have found don't get that copper color and usually stay gray or silvery.

• Like 1