Which Detector For Australia?

Guest AussieDigs

Guest AussieDigs
5 hours ago, oneguy said:

Maybe this can help you decide?  If nothing else a vlf is much cheaper than a PI and to be really complete you should eventually have one of each????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcL04ZHki6Q

Thanks Oneguy, that has been my thinking.

Budget wise, for the moment, i now need to choose the correct VLF for the conditions. What SteelPhase has suggested people are using the likes of the monster and Gold Bugs for heaps, reefs and tailings sounds viable. I would like to go beyond these though so i suspect this is where the likes of the PI will come into it.

Cheers mate.

Al.

Is there a reason the QED hasn't been mentioned?  I feel like that omission is the elephant in the room.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Is there a reason the QED hasn't been mentioned?  I feel like that omission is the elephant in the room.

Aha! Someone finally mentioned it. I didn't, because I'm also a QED tester and don't wish to be seen as overtly partisan.

The current PL2 model is impressive. It is lightweight, cheaper than most (if not all) other PI detectors, has great ergonomics and can be used with all the GP and GPX Minelab, Coiltek and Nuggetfinder monoloops. Power consumption is minimal and just two supplied 18650 LI ION cells give a good days detecting

The designer and manufacturer (Howard) lives near Ballarat in Victoria, and, unlike any other detector manufacturer, goes out of his way to personally help anybody who experiences problems.

Howard has a restless intellect and is constantly fiddling with new technology and future improvements to his baby. Every time I see him he is bursting with enthusiasm over some proposed changes or other. He reminds me a little of the late professor Julius Sumner Miller - - :)

Some Minelab users find it difficult to adapt to the QED. It is a totally different machine to operate and some habitual Minelab operating techniques don't directly transcribe successfully. Further, certain highly magnetic soils can prove difficult to obtain good depth in. This can be an issue with many detectors.

There is no such thing as the perfect detector for all applications and I, for one, always carry another in the vehicle just in case. Nonetheless, there are few detectors which can be swung all day with little fatigue (and no bungy, in my case) For me, it is the perfect prospecting new ground machine, and since that's what I do, ergo, for me it is the perfect detector.

See: https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/4255-gold-found-with-qed/?tab=comments#comment-45878

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'll have one of those in my hands soon!  ?

• Like 2

Guest AussieDigs

QED? Ill do some reading.

I have a Gold Bug Pro on its way. I think for $580 delivered with two coils isnt bad price but from the reaserch for the requirements that i have done, this looks to be a good starting point. Sounds like a good simple machine for someone starting out and in the terrain i intend to scout. I will get a PI as well for sure eventually.

Thanks guys.

Al.

There is QED being used here in Vietnam where I am at the moment. It has a sand detecting mode and is being used as a beach detector with great success. 

• Like 3

Guest AussieDigs
1 hour ago, Reg Wilson said:

There is QED being used here in Vietnam where I am at the moment. It has a sand detecting mode and is being used as a beach detector with great success. 

Reg, ill def suss out the QED PL2 further down the track. I really like the fact that its being manufactured by a local in the state. Great stuff mate.

Al.

Guest AussieDigs
3 hours ago, phrunt said:

The Gold Bug Pro is decent for small shallow gold, won't get the really tiny stuff as easy as some other detectors but does the job for the bigger bits if they're there to be found, it's simple to use and you can't really get it wrong settings wise.  It's so light you can easily swing all day and if you have no luck on the gold you can easily take it elsewhere and use it for coin and jewellery detecting, it's pretty good with accurate VDI numbers on coins and will have no troubles finding you some jewellery....

The QED could well be a good viable option for your PI choice within a smaller budget, I think you'll really need one at some point soon to be really serious about it and it seems a decent PI, especially for the price, the Gold Bug will be good for the areas Steelphase has mentioned though and hopefully handles your soils well enough to get you some gold!  Good luck!

Thanks Phrunt, appreciate it mate.

Hi mineralization is what led me to the Pro. That, simplicity and price. I think it should be a good starter machine.

Al.