10" Lobo Wide Scan Coil Question

I was looking at the spec's and it seems the Lobo and Tejon run at the same frequency and use the same delta coils. I was thinking of trying some gold prospecting up north from me (probably not much there) and was wondering if the solid widescan coil would be worth while putting on the Tejon for this purpose?

54 minutes ago, kac said:

I was thinking of trying some gold prospecting up north from me (probably not much there) and was wondering if the solid widescan coil would be worth while putting on the Tejon for this purpose?

As opposed to the stock 8"x9" concentric?  DD's (which Tesoro like's to call 'Widescan') are better in higher mineralization.  Solid coils do better over uneven surfaces (especially rocky soil/terrain).  I assume 'up north' means in the Appalachians, which (typical of mountains) are going to have higher mineralizations than flat land.  All of this points toward using the widescan coil over the concentric.

Pretty sure the Tejon's all-metal mode is non-motion (similar to pinpoint mode on many detectors).  That means you'll need to manually adjust the threshold (as opposed to Self Ajdusting Threshold or 'SAT' of motion all metal).

Re-adusting the threshold and manually adjusting the ground balance was characteristic of early gold detectors.  For example I'm pretty sure the Garrett Groundhog (15 kHz VLF) found decent gold back in the late 70's and into the 80's.  It will probably be a challenge to find the smaller bits that modern mid- to high frequency VLF's can do with their advanced circuitry, but as always you have to use the best equipment available at the time.  If you'll be hunting in creeks, you also have the chance of finding old coins as a bonus.

Good luck on your trip!

• Like 1

That helps a lot. The concentric I have now can pick up tiny bits of foil so I shouldn't be too far off. Will check out some my old stomping grounds where I used to do tons of flyfishing up towards the white mountains and north of that. There is supposed to be flake gold up there, guessing the Tesoro probably won't pick that up but never know.

I believe the Tejon is all metal motion.

Thanks