Fisher Impulse AQ - No Update Facility?

There is on-going field testing of the Fisher Impulse AQ in progress trying to improve the discrimination. This despite the machine getting ready to go to production at any moment.

2020 Edit: The Impulse AQ has been revealed - see details here

For those that do not know metal detector development never stops. It just gets to a point where it is good enough and you launch. Engineers can improve for eternity if you let them. This does raise a concern however. This machine is as far as I can tell using a new premise for what it does, and is obviously up against deadlines to get out the door. There is nothing here about internet update capability, and in fact it seems I recall somebody at FT saying there never would be such a feature on their machines. But given that nearly every serious platform released by FT sees software bugs and updates in the first year, including the recently released F-Pulse, the odds are this machine would benefit from an update once it gets into user hands and the inevitable bug is found. It really is a set up for having to mail machines back to be updated.

I would like to be one of the first to jump on one of these but given the First Texas poor track record in this regard a lack of update facility does give me pause, especially in a detector that will likely be over $2000. I get a cheap detector having no update facility, but First Texas may end up regretting not putting the capability in this detector. Forget the unhappy customers - it costs the company money if it ends up having to physically reprocess every machine sold to perform some kind of software fix. In this day and age internet update capability is an expectation - every Nokta/Makro machine no matter the price has it, even the upcoming under $300 Simplex. I am a bit amazed that there is no mention of this capability on what appears to be the most expensive First Texas metal detector ever made. 

Source thread at Dankowski Forum

Fisher Impulse AQ Data & User Reviews

fisher-impulse-aq-pulse-induction-metal-
Fisher Impulse AQ metal detector

• Like 5

Steve, you are so eloquent with your words.  I'm always inclined to read every word you post, ever learning and never becoming an expert at anything.

• Haha 1

On 4/24/2019 at 5:39 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

There is on-going field testing of the Fisher Impulse AQ in progress trying to improve the discrimination.

This being said I thought the first version of the AQ was for beach only use, sounds like they might be trying to squeeze a little inland potential with improved discrimination.  But since there will be no ground balance feature I guess they are trying to improve the discrimination for the beach environment.  It will be very interesting to see how it all pans out.

• 3 months later...
On 4/24/2019 at 5:39 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

There is on-going field testing of the Fisher Impulse AQ in progress trying to improve the discrimination. This despite the machine getting ready to go to production at any moment.

4 months later.     I guess more time to save my beach clad.