Right Color... Great Texture!...

mushroom.thumb.JPG.39d4ff5f798a444c6889ad85e6bebb60.JPG

? Made you look!   OK, there is a dectecting story behind this, and actually more typical finds below.  The theme is that sometimes you're out detecting and find things you weren't expecting, and even things your detector might not see (or could see but wasn't needed).  Two weeks ago I was out a new site (park).  Someone I was walking past asked me if I had found any mushrooms.  "No, but then I wasn't looking for them, either."  So I go back this week, detecting again, and while peering down at the ground while swinging my detector, there plain as day was this morel.  (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morchella)

Actually, around here they sell for around $25/lb when fresh.  So in those units it's worth a bit more than a US silver dime (but I'd rather have found one of those).  My wife fried it up for me -- two small bites after all the water was out of it.  Pretty tasty nonetheless.

This sorta reminds me of another hunt I had a couple weeks ago, this one to a school built in 1959.  I was thinking "that's about 10 years for silver coins to have been dropped" so I was hopeful for those or maybe some Wheat pennies.  Less than 30 minutes after starting a survey hunt (the school grounds are many acres in size) I got a high but inconsistent tone.  Looking down I could see some silver, and dropping to my knees started pulling out a chain with a pendant, then seeing more silver, another chain and two rings.  About a foot away I saw something white that turned out to be a porcelain elephant, likely part of some kind of jewelry box.  Why was all this jewelry (every piece marked '925') laying on top of the ground in a schoolyard??  We can only speculate.  I did dig another sterling silver ring (on the right in the pic below) about 6 inches deep in another part of the schoolyard later that same day.  Although I've been back two more times and found lots of clad, nickels, and copper Memorials I still don't have a single old coin from this site.  And I haven't found any more jewelry, either.

elephant_jewelry.JPG

• Like 6

Wonder if the other half of the jewelry box is around. Looks like someone may have buried it.

• Oh my! 1

Nice work GB I dont know if those mushrooms grow here in Calif...I love mushrooms but I'm too chicken to eat wild ones. I got into a jewerly cash one evening at a local park...but it was all mostly plated stuff. I figured someone stole it then went through it out on the grass. None of it was worth keeping. Looks like your got some nice ones though. 

strick 

• Thanks 1

Only wild mushrooms I ever ate grew out of cowpies  :wacko: