Opals and N. Nevada Gold

A few years back they discovered opal deposits in Wyoming and a claiming rush was on but since then i have not heard much about it so i don't know if gem material was found. they were very tight lipped about it all.

Dale nice sapphires every so often while in Montana we will take a break from detecting and go sapphire hunting for Yogo sapphires they are what you call corn flower blue in color although you do find yellow green and pinks also.

Here is an excerpt from their website Dale.

Hidden in the isolated northwest corner of Nevada, lies Virgin Valley. Despite it's arid and desolate location, rockhounds and miners from all over the world travel here to search for the beautiful black opal for which this area is famous. These spectacular opals are prized by collectors, lapidary enthusiasts and jewelers worldwide. This area is famous for the rare and fabulous black opal, known to occur in only two places on Earth; the Virgin Valley, Nevada and New South Wales, Australia. These wonderful specimens flash and gleam with a rainbow of brilliant reds, blues, greens and purples in a jet black matrix.  Prime examples can be worth more per carat than even diamonds. Also found in the area is opal in a variety of colors and types from the famous black opal to the amber colored honey opal, the clear jelly or crystal opal, and the pure white matrix of the lechosos or milk opal, all of which can contain the stunning play of color which signifies the 'precious opal.' Most of the opal is in the form of replaced wood and limb casts. Sometimes retaining the characteristics of the ancient wood in incredible detail. It is  theorized that this area was once the location of a large lake surrounded by lush forests of sequoia, spruce, hemlock, birch, cedar, larch and chestnut.  This prehistoric forest was devastated by a series of volcanic eruptions which buried the forests, lakes and accumulated driftwood with layer upon layer of ash.  Over millions of years, the silica-rich water of the areas hot springs seeped through the layers of ash and slowly replaced the buried wood with hydrated silica molecules. Under the right conditions precious opal may form.

The amazing thing about the limbcasts are the original tree were Giant Sequoia.  Some of the finds I have that are only partially opalized are very cool becaust the bark still looks like original in shape and color

• Like 2

I still have the image of a harlequin opal (that is what this fellow called it), that had been mined in N. NV.

It was without a doubt the most beautiful gemstone I had ever seen.

I did not have enough money to buy it and I still regret it to this day.

I saw it it 1977.

Maybe someday…

Had a wonderful time digging opals. I did'nt find some of the best specimens in our group of a dozen, that were easily seen by the naked eye. But I think I have a few encrusted pieces that are hiding beauty inside.

I then went to do some detecting, but had caught a cold. And when I got there. Something was blooming from all of the recent rain. My allergies were flaring. So I left and got no detecting in  :( . Will post some pictures later.

• Like 1