Been asked numerous times over the past several years to hunt for a class ring lost in a local cemetery.  Then finally last week I agreed to give it a try, with no promises given.  The class ring was lost by a gentleman's mother in 1960 while she was trimming the grass around the cemetery.   One good thing about this graveyard, it is privately owned so no trouble should occur because of my digging.

By the looks of the lot, it may take a good bit of time to cover the area. 

2019042795184553.jpg

• Like 2

Hope you get to keep all coin finds.  Looks like quite an opportunity.

• Like 1

I'm wondering why you waited so long....maybe I have no morals :smile:

A  lady the other day I was talking to said every time she passed an area where there was an old  indian burial ground they would leave something for them..she said they left some tobacco..."you know they liked tobacco" she exclaimed with a serious look on her face....I replied back with an equally serious look on my face..."so you are leaving stuff for the dead indians" 

strick

• Like 1

Not sure why I waited so long to say yes. 

I met with the lady yesterday and she explained just how important this ring was to the family.  That the lady, had always talked about her lost ring, even up to her death, several years ago.   

• Like 1

Well, made some progress.  Started around the fence rows and right from the start I knew I had difficulties ahead of me.  Get within 10" of the fence and the Equinox would give a solid ID of 13.  Also knowing that the very last class ring I found gave a solid 13, oops.  May end up having to buy the 6" coil just to make this find.  Oh well, maybe the lost ring is a higher karat count than the last one, that would raise the ID a little.  All random thoughts.

1 hour ago, Mark Gillespie said:

Well, made some progress.  Started around the fence rows and right from the start I knew I had difficulties ahead of me.  Get within 10" of the fence and the Equinox would give a solid ID of 13.  Also knowing that the very last class ring I found gave a solid 13, oops.  May end up having to buy the 6" coil just to make this find.  Oh well, maybe the lost ring is a higher karat count than the last one, that would raise the ID a little.  All random thoughts.

I have the 6" and it's a very good coil, but the main thing I use it for is hunting (small) natural gold.  Even in trashy areas the 11" is my preference for its better coverage.  With small coils I always leave feeling I haven't gotten good coverage, even in a small area.  For me it's just more difficult to overlap my sweeps with a small, lightweight coil.

But I understand your need for a small coil with the situation you face.  However, with all those detectors listed on your sidebar, don't you have one with a small coil?  (Or was this just rehearsal for rationalizing your purchase when your wife finds out?  ?)

The only detectors I presently have are the Equinox, Fisher F75, White's TDI and Fisher F22.  Maybe the F22 will be less sensitive to the fence.  She only cares for my hobby when I bring something home that she wants.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The AT Pro I can get right next to a fence within a few inches. That is where I found the old silver cross it was less than a foot away and about 8" down. Can't get close at all with my Tejon. Tejon sounds off on my digger I carry unless I sling it over my shoulder.

Not that familiar with the ML but if you can switch to single frequency then set it between 8-14 khz and you might be able to get a bit closer. Smaller coil can help too.

• Like 2

My two cents here: I have an AT Gold that has All Metal mode. I can turn the Sensitivity way down--much lower than in Discriminate mode. Not sure this would help because 50 years the ring is probably quite deep. Anyway, you might see if your detector works the same way.