Gold Bug Pro With 10" Elliptical DD Coil

The Gold Bug Pro had turned into one of my favorite prospecting machines, especially for trashy areas. Ray Mills and I have been bugging (get it?) Fisher to put the machine out with the 10" elliptical coil as stock. In my opinion it is the best all around coil for the detector and also makes it look like it should as a prospecting detector and cousin to the Gold Bug 2. Right now you can only get the coil as part of a package or as an after purchase accessory. The coil works on the Fisher F5, Gold Bug, Gold Bug Pro, and Teknetics G2.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ray was kind enough to spend 15 minutes or so on the phone with me a couple of months ago and as a result I got a GBP with the 11" coil. I also happened across a good deal on like new 10" and 5" round DD coils. No doubt about it, the 10" elliptical is the "sweet spot" for me.

I had read a good bit about the GBP in Steve's guide to gold detectors and noted his comment that while the discrimination circuitry continues to display numbers while the GBP is in all metal, it does so by putting marks on the arc of small numbers which are permanently on the screen as opposed to putting the numbers in the big display. They chose instead to display the ground phase in the big central area.

Having used the GBP for a while now, I have come to appreciate that choice. First of all, I can see the current ground phase and compare it to the current GB set point which is shown right next to it. This tells me when I need to "grab" a new ground balance setting.

Secondly, it provides a valuable clue as to target identity. Hot and cold rocks show a slightly higher or lower reading than the ground around them. Metal targets however seem to reliably show a significantly lower reading than the ground. I need to observe and learn more about this, but I think it is valuable information.

Please First Texas, give us another tone and give us "iron volume" like on your Eurotec. Oh yes and while you are at it, give us a "Boost Process" to put some more hots into the discriminate mode.

And the 10" coil as standard. And a pony.

• Like 2

Hey Steve thats my favorite coil on my G2...

I never take it off...

gives up very little depth to the stock coil and seperates better and is lighter

Im testing out a 5" NEL G2 coil and hopefully a 5.5x9.5 Nel G2 coil  in the future to see if there much better than the factory coils of the same size...

Keith

Ray was kind enough to spend 15 minutes or so on the phone with me a couple of months ago and as a result I got a GBP with the 11" coil. I also happened across a good deal on like new 10" and 5" round DD coils. No doubt about it, the 10" elliptical is the "sweet spot" for me.

I had read a good bit about the GBP in Steve's guide to gold detectors and noted his comment that while the discrimination circuitry continues to display numbers while the GBP is in all metal, it does so by putting marks on the arc of small numbers which are permanently on the screen as opposed to putting the numbers in the big display. They chose instead to display the ground phase in the big central area.

Having used the GBP for a while now, I have come to appreciate that choice. First of all, I can see the current ground phase and compare it to the current GB set point which is shown right next to it. This tells me when I need to "grab" a new ground balance setting.

Secondly, it provides a valuable clue as to target identity. Hot and cold rocks show a slightly higher or lower reading than the ground around them. Metal targets however seem to reliably show a significantly lower reading than the ground. I need to observe and learn more about this, but I think it is valuable information.

Please First Texas, give us another tone and give us "iron volume" like on your Eurotec. Oh yes and while you are at it, give us a "Boost Process" to put some more hots into the discriminate mode.

And the 10" coil as standard. And a pony.

I agree with every point you have made and my wife amens the pony!

I too love that coil,but in really thick nails the stock 5inch coil works better for me. Talking relic hunting. I would like to see a boost mode ,adjustable iron volume and as Keith often refers too,a wider iron range,say 0-80 or 100.

hello, new to this forum and ready to pull the trigger on a detector purchase.

After doing research on gold models I thought I was ready to go with the at gold. Many great reviews and lots of YouTube tutorials.

Then I did some searching on gold detecting in my area and found posts by trinityau / Ray Mills and his results with the gold bug pro. He has had some great finds and he is in my local. So I can't ignore the fact a seasoned gold prospector is using that model successfully in the same conditions I'll be working in.

I loved the fact the at gold is waterproof, but worry about the cable connections having O rings that could possibly fail. I wonder how often I would actually use it in water, as my plan is to work dry washes and seasonal streams.

With the drought conditions being prominent and fish and game being down on even gold panners kicking up a little mud in any stream. A good gold specific detector seems like the way to go.

So I'm back on the fence, doing more research and open to suggestions on a gold machine in the $1000 range.

Hard to go wrong with the Gold Bug Pro. The AT Gold is for if you need to put it in the water. Any detector can be used in the rain. I have detected in rain for many a day with lots of detectors. Just drop a plastic bag over the control box, left open on the bottom to breath. A sandwich bag works great on the Gold Bug Pro.

The orings on the AT Gold are tough so no reason to worry about failure. They are silicone lubed though and care must be taken to keep them clean. The tiny pins in the coil and headphone connectors are what you worry about. They get bent easily if you are not careful. Bottom line is the AT is a fine machine but I would only get one for prospecting if I needed to submerge it.