I seen this issue on the oz forum...is anyone besides me having a problem with the 12v charger for the gpz?

I have two- one for my ctx and one for the 7000 and they both behave badly...when I plug one into the 12v outlet in my truck it starts flashing red while charging. The manual says this means there may not be enough battery to pull juice from the truck battery...my truck battery is brand new.

So, I carry a small invertor and plugged that into the 12v outlet, then the battery charger into the inverter...the charger worked fine but my truck battery was  drawn down and I had to jump it...

so, the second question is this; does the inverter draw a huge amount of amps to go from 12v to 110v to charge a the zed battery???

Also, is the sensitivey of the minelab chargers adjustable ????

thanks

fred

Mine worked fine for my CTX since its release, I've never had any issues.

But I'm running 3x 120ah deep cycle battery's in my car + the cranking battery.

And the ZED charger hasn't given me any problems yet.

It must have something to do with an in-adequate power supply, every one who has this issue seems to have smaller battery's in their car.

Inverters do use extra power but its not over the top, if the inverter is draining your battery it is definitely inadequate.

I would consider getting a decent sized deep cycle battery and a charging regulator.

If you are charging off your cars starting battery it is not ideal for prolonged power draw, as its a cranking battery.

Its not the minelab charger, in all of the other cases I have seen I identified the cranking battery inadequacy as the culprit. 

The charger is not adjustable.

As long as the charging LED is flashing green the battery is still charging, even if the power LED is flashing red. See the note on the last picture below from the owners manual"

"For input voltages between 11 and 12 V DC, the charger will still operate however the battery will take longer to charge if the power LED is flashing red."

It does not mean you battery per se but the circuit, and can be caused by nothing more than inefficient wiring. Frankly, the charger is too sensitive to small voltage issues but again, if the battery LED is flashing green just get on with charging.

Minelab includes a harness for the charger that allows you to directly hook to your battery. Do this, and if the problem goes away it is in the wiring and could be from other items on the circuit.

My charger works perfectly from my front 12V outlet but there is one in the rear of my truck that makes the LED flash red. Too long a stretch of small wire? No matter, it still charges the battery.

I accidently ran my battery dead because I stupidly was running the heater while charging but truck was off so no surprise there! But I now have a separate deep cycle battery with charging harness for field use.

post-1-0-36044700-1432739414_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-50428800-1432739420_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-91211800-1432739423_thumb.jpg

Thanks Guys.

Dale, I noticed while visiting Oz that transport is set-up for being on one's own. Chargers, solar-power and freezers everything to provide for a long term stay in the beautiful vast spaces of OZ...you folks have it figured out for sure!

fred

And thank you Steve...i guess I need to learn to read better...or believe what I read...

I hope you are having a golden spring!

fred

One thing you can try is to install another charge port with heavier gauge wiring as this will minimize the voltage drop from the battery to the charge port. 16ga wire or better would be preferable for distances longer than 10 feet.  Dual battery is the way to go out bush :)

• Like 1

Fred

I had the same problem with the plug in part of the 12 V charger. The plug in power cord only worked once and then flashing red every time after that. I used the alligator clips directly on the batteries and worked every time. I had a 50 watt solar panel to maintain my batteries and the monitor on them was either full or charged, so I know it wasn't a lack of voltage from the batteries. I contacted AZO about my problem, he sent me a new power cord and it worked and the original wouldn't. I suspect that the wiring on the cord is insufficient to carry the voltage.

Norm

• Like 2

While charging in my car yesterday i started to smell plastic. Worked out it was the charger. I felt it and the base was very hot, the battery was mildly warm. Anybody else had this?

cheers BB

No problem here. Note the 240v charger puts out 18v, have you tried it with the alligator clamps direct on battery rather than cig lighter. Cig lighter plugs are not the best conx, and I suspect that is where your problem is, a high resistance joint cutting voltage. I use the old 32v polarised plugs have been doing so for 40 years in vehicles, no drama. Should be available in US, they were used in low voltage households before the grid power and are still being made by Clipsal, who I suspect are worldwide.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Skullgolddiver
      I hope this topic hasn't already been covered and I'm not writing it in the wrong place.
      Recently, based on my lack of knowledge in this sector, I have however noticed large differences in actual life, not only because of battery chemistry ...
      I mean something about the use of power itself in using the tool.
      Thinking of a mobile phone, the standby time is merely relative to the battery capacity, as is the duration in call or video call, much less long ...
      So every time a detector is used in an area where there are several signals and we are busy digging or at least hearing many of them, the battery duration is more affected and reduced...
      This for me, as an inexperienced, means not being able to have a clear measure of the actual duration of the battery pack ... You can never know regardless of how many signals will pass below the coil ...
      So I then discovered the natural drop in voltage, added to that of absorption in the most arduous use ...
      And what about threshold instability and false signals if, for example, a pulse is not properly regulated and a too low delay makes it continuously sound for nothing by activating the retuning?
      At this point I have the impression that even with higher capacities, the voltage drop is the most difficult factor to defeat, even before the capacity ....
      I am facing the insertion of bms modules in these days and in the future I could add step up or step down modules if necessary, but first I would like to understand to what extent it is possible to delay the cut off, if not eliminating some form of protection that these boards cut away leaving a lot of useful voltage.
      Unprotected batteries can have a bad end if it is lithium, so there is a compromise between safety and durability ...
      I repeat again ... I am not an expert and anyone who can add his knowledge on the subject, do it without brakes because I am well open to constructive technical comments, or even comic and bad ...
    • By Steve Herschbach
      Click or double click any photos in this article for high resolution versions.
      I bought this 4 x 26650 battery holder on eBay after quite a bit of Google work. They are a surprisingly rare item. It comes with sleeves that can use 4 x 18650 batteries also. It ran me $29.65 delivered including shipping and tax. I ordered it on June 25th and it arrived from China on July 14th. The holder delivers 16.8V via a DC adapter plug or 5V via a USB outlet. It has a thin oring on the lid for an IP67 seal.
      I also ordered an IP67 M8 4 pole 16.4 foot female to pigtail cable from Automation Direct for $10.50 plus shipping and tax. I ordered several different cables so lets add $5.00 for s&h for this one cable. They delivered next day!
      And finally 4ea EBL 26650 batteries from Walmart for $20.99 free shipping, delivered in a few days.
      Total parts cost about $70. I have a 26650 charger already that came with my Tarsacci so you'd have to figure that. Some sets of the batteries come with a charger. By the way, the EBL seem in short supply lately.
      I shortened the power cable to 5 feet, more than enough to set the detector on ground if need be. The DC adapter that comes with this battery box is great. Blue wire to negative post and brown wire to positive. Warning - I am not vouching for the polarity. I used a multimeter to check my AQ battery and matched that. You should do the same. I take no responsibility for anyone doing this mod and blowing their AQ! The black and white are headphone wires. I hooked up a 1/4" female jack to those.
      I am using the AQ mostly as a wader unit employing some true chest high waders that have a big pocket on the inside front. I'll drop this battery in that pocket and plug my Sun Ray Pro Gold headphones in. I could use my TaoTronics to go wireless, but that seems pointless the way the battery is mounted near my head. I need to determine run time with four 26650 batteries - should be way better than the current 3 (all metal) to 3.5 (tones/mute) hours running time I get with the Fisher battery. Enough that I probably will not need to do a battery change at all and perhaps enough for a long day. I also need to determine how the detector handles without a battery under the elbow. Lighter of course, but too nose heavy? Should be fine in the water as the coil is neutral. Maybe too nose heavy for some people for dry beach use. We will see. This would be a great belt hip mount battery for dry beach use. I suppose it could also be mounted under the elbow, perhaps with the included strap, so I'll consider that also. It would balance well like that. It is IP67 rated and with proper headphone / power cables might be good enough to use under arm for wading / shallow dunking use at least.
      Operating sequence. Power up battery pack (it has its own power switch) then power up detector. Power off detector, power off battery pack. Doing otherwise may trip the circuit protector on the battery pack, necessitating removing and reinstalling the lid to reset. The pack has its own built in battery level indicator. And it may be used to charge a phone or other USB device! I was warned this USB capability might create interference in the AQ, but that has not proved to be an issue so far. The two circuits, 16.8V and 5V, appear to be isolated.

Powered up - and no smoke!
      I really like this. Very easy for a not super skilled person like me to do, less than third the cost of a spare AQ battery, and should get well over twice the run time. If I had another complete set of batteries ready, it would be an easy swap for even more running time. It leaves only one cable to the rear end of the detector, and that is my only concern at all - I will try and beef that up and protect it better. I'm thinking a rubber boot that clamps completely over the end of the detector rod. I ordered a couple like like the one pictured below to see if it will stretch enough to work. Long story short is there is a very good chance this will replace my Fisher batteries for most of my use. This is why I had no problem getting the Limited "wader version" of the AQ as I find chest waders to be a good option at Tahoe and it's cold water for all but a couple months of the season when the water gets reasonably warm for mask and snorkel work. I used to do a lot of ice diving with drysuits while gold dredging, but am not looking to get quite that serious any more. 
      Joe’s Fully Waterproof 26650 Alternative

Description:
      Features:
      100% brand new and high quality.
      Without 18650 battery. You need to prepare 4x 18650 or 26650 batteries yourself to use.
      DC 5.5x2.1mm interface has input and output functions, with DC adapter, easy to use.
      DC 5.5x2.1mm port for 16.8V devices
      USB 5V Port for Charging Smart phone GPS Tablet PC or 5V LED Light and more.
      Improve replacement battery pack fixes inconvenient shortcomings, greatly facilitates the users of the battery pack DIY requirements, without spot welding battery, thereby greatly reducing the battery internal resistance, improve the battery discharge performance, so as to effectively improve battery life
      Power supply: you can use 18650 rechargeable lithium battery as a power source
      The output side: USB and DC dual output power supply function,DC output voltage is 16.8V(can power the 16.8V device, such as the bike light), USB output voltage is 5V(can power the cellphone and other 5V device), to meet a wider usage scenarios, the product comes with overcharge and over discharge protection, protection of the battery is more safe and sustainable
      Specification:
      Material: Plastic+metal
      Color: Black or Red
      Input Voltage:DC 16.8V
      Output Voltage: DC Port 16.8V
      Standby current Under 80μA
      USB Output Voltage: DC 5V
      USB Output Current: 2000mA
      Overcharge Protection Voltage: 16.8V
      Over Dischage Protection Voltage: 10V
      Over Current Protection Voltage: 7.2A 
      Size: 9x6.5 x 6.5cm
      Cable length: 29cm
      18650 and 26650 Batteries are not Included
      Note
      Please put in battery in a right way.
      Charge it when power indicator light flashes.
      Don't use the device in the water. Waterproof standard is IP67
      Packing list:
      1x Waterproof 4x 18650 /26650 battery box case.(without battery )
      1x 5.5x2.1mm adapter
      4x 18650 to 26650 battery converter

• By Skullgolddiver
      Joe, are you using a bms module inside the 4s1p tube?I hope not because....
      I actually don't know if I'm correct but seems to be the easier combination for a self balanced recharge without the need of multiple solder and little cables around cells, not to mention the module itself presence inside the pod...
      I'm developing a similar pack for the Tdi and can be the base for the future of my dreamed AQ...
    • By G.B.
      https://youtu.be/Kpp_TPnwmdE

• By mh9162013
      I just finished the next iteration of my 9V to AAA battery adapter for my Pro-Pointer AT (Carrot). You can read about it in my blog post that will be uploaded soon (see my profile for the link, if you're that curious), but most of the "juice" is in the pictures.
      In case you're wondering (or you don't recall my prior blog posts about this building process😞
      1. Yes, waterproof integrity is maintained.
      2. Yes, the performance when using this adapter is identical to using a regular 9V battery.
      3. Yes, this can still use a regular 9V battery.
      4. Yes, runtime is less than with a regular 9V battery, but should be enough to get you at least a full day (8+ hours) of run time. I estimate this will get you about 1/3 of whatever an alkaline 9V battery will get you.
      5. Yes, this can run on other types of AAA cells, including NiCd, NiMH, lithium (primary; think Energizer Ultimate Lithiums) and alkaline.
      6. I did this modification because I like tinkering and because I really hate 9V batteries.
      Background info of prior builds: 

• By PeterInSa
      Currently using an SP01 and matching twin Speakers, volume on the Z is 8 volume on Sp01 around 7.5 if not using the Sp01 Volume on the  Z is 11, with these settings and my hearing am not sure am getting the benefit of the Sp01, so as above would appreciate comments on twin WM12's ( Speakers are high on the Z Harness along with the WM12, the SP01 in the Z Harness backpack) 
      Will look at setting up the SP01 and the Twin Speakers on Margaret's 2300 with a Transmitter/Receiver driving the Sp01.
      Thanks
      Peter