I seen this issue on the oz forum...is anyone besides me having a problem with the 12v charger for the gpz?

I have two- one for my ctx and one for the 7000 and they both behave badly...when I plug one into the 12v outlet in my truck it starts flashing red while charging. The manual says this means there may not be enough battery to pull juice from the truck battery...my truck battery is brand new.

So, I carry a small invertor and plugged that into the 12v outlet, then the battery charger into the inverter...the charger worked fine but my truck battery was  drawn down and I had to jump it...

so, the second question is this; does the inverter draw a huge amount of amps to go from 12v to 110v to charge a the zed battery???

Also, is the sensitivey of the minelab chargers adjustable ????

thanks

fred

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have two PHD's. A Portola High Diploma, and a Post Hole Digger. I've worked on a few bikes. Hoping to get my Professor of Harley Davidson soon. Lol

You should see my wheelbarrow and triantiwonigong.

I stand corrected. Therefore a 20% reduction in the price makes the charger worth $1.60

Posted Images

Mine worked fine for my CTX since its release, I've never had any issues.

But I'm running 3x 120ah deep cycle battery's in my car + the cranking battery.

And the ZED charger hasn't given me any problems yet.

It must have something to do with an in-adequate power supply, every one who has this issue seems to have smaller battery's in their car.

Inverters do use extra power but its not over the top, if the inverter is draining your battery it is definitely inadequate.

I would consider getting a decent sized deep cycle battery and a charging regulator.

If you are charging off your cars starting battery it is not ideal for prolonged power draw, as its a cranking battery.

Its not the minelab charger, in all of the other cases I have seen I identified the cranking battery inadequacy as the culprit. 

The charger is not adjustable.

As long as the charging LED is flashing green the battery is still charging, even if the power LED is flashing red. See the note on the last picture below from the owners manual"

"For input voltages between 11 and 12 V DC, the charger will still operate however the battery will take longer to charge if the power LED is flashing red."

It does not mean you battery per se but the circuit, and can be caused by nothing more than inefficient wiring. Frankly, the charger is too sensitive to small voltage issues but again, if the battery LED is flashing green just get on with charging.

Minelab includes a harness for the charger that allows you to directly hook to your battery. Do this, and if the problem goes away it is in the wiring and could be from other items on the circuit.

My charger works perfectly from my front 12V outlet but there is one in the rear of my truck that makes the LED flash red. Too long a stretch of small wire? No matter, it still charges the battery.

I accidently ran my battery dead because I stupidly was running the heater while charging but truck was off so no surprise there! But I now have a separate deep cycle battery with charging harness for field use.

post-1-0-36044700-1432739414_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-50428800-1432739420_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-91211800-1432739423_thumb.jpg

Thanks Guys.

Dale, I noticed while visiting Oz that transport is set-up for being on one's own. Chargers, solar-power and freezers everything to provide for a long term stay in the beautiful vast spaces of OZ...you folks have it figured out for sure!

fred

One thing you can try is to install another charge port with heavier gauge wiring as this will minimize the voltage drop from the battery to the charge port. 16ga wire or better would be preferable for distances longer than 10 feet.  Dual battery is the way to go out bush :)

• Like 1

Fred

I had the same problem with the plug in part of the 12 V charger. The plug in power cord only worked once and then flashing red every time after that. I used the alligator clips directly on the batteries and worked every time. I had a 50 watt solar panel to maintain my batteries and the monitor on them was either full or charged, so I know it wasn't a lack of voltage from the batteries. I contacted AZO about my problem, he sent me a new power cord and it worked and the original wouldn't. I suspect that the wiring on the cord is insufficient to carry the voltage.

Norm

• Like 2

While charging in my car yesterday i started to smell plastic. Worked out it was the charger. I felt it and the base was very hot, the battery was mildly warm. Anybody else had this?

cheers BB

No problem here. Note the 240v charger puts out 18v, have you tried it with the alligator clamps direct on battery rather than cig lighter. Cig lighter plugs are not the best conx, and I suspect that is where your problem is, a high resistance joint cutting voltage. I use the old 32v polarised plugs have been doing so for 40 years in vehicles, no drama. Should be available in US, they were used in low voltage households before the grid power and are still being made by Clipsal, who I suspect are worldwide.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Robert Eaton Jr
      Hey everybody. I've been working my butt off to try to get ready to go find gold.Sometime seems like one step forward two steps back. A week and a half ago I was at the bottom of gold hill outside Virginia City, testing out the GPZ in the gold monster with my wife and kids, and when we put all the gear away I had my keys on the minelab vest, and stupidly locked them in the back of our car right at sun down. Being off the beaten path, and having to work had no choice but to smash my rear window to get the keys and get my family out of there. Just so happens that rear window is more expensive than my windshield at 500 plus dollars :-(.
      Had to look of finding a free spirit Odyssey 45-in tent for only $2,000 near San Diego. Went down and picked it up, only to find out that the so-called towing Springs that I thought I ordered, and we're actually tihuan springs for a golf, and not the towing Springs that I thought. My mistake ordering them, now my car sags, and I've got a cough up another $160 and change the Springs myself. Times money. To make things even better, on the way back through the Mojave desert my heater core went out. Fortunately it's got a CPo warranty, unfortunately I can't trust the local dealership so I have to drive to Sacramento to have the dealership fix it, luckily it's only 50 bucks. And that covers this sway bar bushings too which are bad.
      Yesterday I spent all day delivering doordash checking out Auburn and a little bit placer County. Forest Hill road and some other spots. Found an awesome mining store in Auburn. I like to get back today to metal detector it caught a land where I saw people excavating for a new home in placer County. I've got to work my butt off to pay off these bills, I hope I could get one or two hours.
      I had went to Cold Springs to get some Paydirt with my wife from the bedrock that was exposed. So far I found tons of iron. Bringing it home to our kitchen, where I spent about an hour and a half learning to pan for the first time. With a five bucket gallon, it took me about a good hour to find a good rhythm. Wow am I a slow panner:(
      I'm working on it, ordered some classifiers, and realized I need to get a sluice box or something to make that process go faster. I totally don't have any cash left to do that though...
      So I also wanted to figure out how to make my GPZ and gold monster operate better where there's tons of iron. Sitting in bed right now I was just trying to set my machine with Steve's super hot settings, which apparently were not as hot as the ones I was running, when the ultimate nightmare happened.
      Not even dressed, GPZ in my arms, I can see a gray line going down the center of the screen. Un freaking believable. I hardly used my GPZ yet. Not the hundreds of hours required. I've never dropped it I have no idea how this happened. Every free second of my day I try to spend looking for gold. there's no way I could afford to part with it for a couple months to send it to Australia. I'm hoping there's some way to have it fixed we're able to fix itself. Has anybody ever seen it a grey line in their display?
      Now my f75 LCD is worse than my GPZ, and my poor GPZ has a line through it... I never let it go in lower than  15-20°....

• By Ridge Runner
      I have been married two times and it’s been a long time.haha
      To win this inverter tell me the total number of years to both wives.
      Please only one guess for each person. I’ll stop the contest on 3/17/18 6PM CST and the nearest guess without going over is the winner. If someone gets it correct sooner I’ll stop it then.
      Chuck
      PS Has one USB port 

• By rvpopeye
      Just now reading Ridge Runner's contest (I know , it's over!), I noticed some comments mentioned looking for one.......
      I live in my RV so inverters (and solar) are in my wheelhouse ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR !
      I am partial to the pure sine wave (PSW)  type as the sensitive electronics like computers (or a Nox) , are often a bit "gun shy" around the modified sine wave (MSW) units.
      I just got a Renogy 700watt PSW inverter last summer and am very impressed with it. ANNNND  My Nox seems to like it too.
      A bit more power than the prize unit but it will charge two detectors including headphones at the same time. with power to spare. ( A good thing.)
      (I won't mention my old inverter as it sucked slime water from the Black Lagoon .... OK,  it released the "magic smoke" )

• By Old Penny
      Whites 5900 Di SL Pro   

Need a way to power the unit,
      New adventure..   , but I would rather copy
      What options do I have? (Welcome to suggestions)
      What can I replace the "C" holder with?   
      For instance, moving the 4.5 volt power pack to a waist belt and cable system, using a 1/8" phono/headphone jack to quick disconnect.
      Or perhaps a rechargeable battery pack that can be plugged into a charger without removing.
      Has anyone designed a battery system that is fairly quick and easy?   (and perhaps even lighter than 4 "C size batteries)
      Sub "C" or Double "A" batteries might be an option.
      I may make a balsa wood holder if I cannot find the Whites Original for less than 33.00 plus shipping.
      Would like to see what others may have done to improve their power requirements.
      So many options when it comes to batteries, each with Pros and Cons..
      Offer suggestions as I am brainstorming,
      Thank you in advance...
      PS. (right now I can get a 4 "AA" battery holder for $1.95 and the balsa wood block would be quick and easy to adapt as a slide in)

• By Lunk
      What better way to ring in the new year than going nugget shooting in the sunny desert southwest. 😎 In my wanderings through an area heavily worked by the old-time placer miners, I spied an old raked and drywashed nugget patch on a hillside that sloped down to a gravel bench deposit high above the dry creek bed. Back in the VLF gold detector era, the surface rocks were raked away in order to get the detector coil right on the ground, to make up for their limited depth capabilities. Detecting these types of environments with the newer PI and ZVT tech can reveal deeper nuggets that were beyond the reach of VLF detector operators. Slow and methodical coverage of the old patch with the GPZ 7000 yielded two small nuggets for the poke today.

• By Libertas
      ..and bought a used GPZ 7000. It will compliment my 4500, GM and Nox 800. Hopefully it will provide an edge on old hammered patches I know of. Guess I had better start lifting weights!
      Any sage advice from the GPZ veterans here much appreciated.
      Thanks.