You should see my wheelbarrow and triantiwonigong.

• Like 2

Chris is right!

Here is a little calc, rule I have allways used. Lets take a deep cycle battery of 100 amp hours (what does this mean). You could draw 100 amps for 1 hour. 

BUT wait a minute, you can't take a battery down to nothing you would destroy it. The most I would discharge a 100 amp hour battery is 50% (if you want it to last a few years) so you have available 50 amp hours.

So 50 amp draw for one hour, 25 amp draw for 2 hours, 12.5 amp draw for 4 hours, ect ect. Make sense?

A lot of deep cycle batteries say 80% discharge But they will not last long.

State of Charge Sealed or Flooded Lead Acid

100% 12.70+ volts most batteries 12.6 - 12.7 fully charged

75% 12.40   volts

50% 12.20   volts if the battery reads 12.20 volts it is 50% discharged

25% 12.00   volts

0% 11.80   volts dead as a door nail

Last point, If I was you guys using your vehicle for charging detectors and ect. You should have deep cycle battery in your truck..SLA (sealed lead acid). not cca batteries.

PS:  cca  (30 seconds) cold cranking amps means (650 cca) you can draw 650 amps for 30 seconds, so they say.....

Ivan

• Like 2

How much power does a GPZ 12v charger draw? my guess 1-3 amps.

When Fred was saying the battery on the gpz 750 watt hours, that is the power available from the battery.

I was trying to find out what the charging watts or amps are.

But when I seen the wall wart I new it can't be over 1 amp. Normally a 1 amp wall wart is pretty good size and have never seen a wall wart bigger than 1 amp. most wall warts are milli amp output (milli amp, 1000 milli amp = 1 amp) One would get or draw more power from a 12 volt supply.  Most new power plugs in a vehicle are 5 amp max, think cell phone milli amps, the cigg lighter plug is 10-15 amp circuit, (resistance heater on a cigg lighter) ouch. (ever drop one in you crotch).

Ivan

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2015 at 0:08 AM, fredmason said:

when I plug one into the 12v outlet in my truck it starts flashing red while charging. The manual says this means there may not be enough battery to pull juice from the truck battery...

Old thread I know but was wondering if anyone has issues with the charger while using a power point (240v in Australia).

A couple of times now I have gone to get my charged battery only to find the red light flashing. After removing/replacing the battery, turning it off then back on again etc. it will go back into a charge cycle but sometimes comes back with the red flashing light & sometimes with a solid green light indicating full charge. Its a pain as I'm not really sure if it's charging properly or not & if there is a problem with the battery/battery charger?

Been putting it on 12v charge when driving out to go detecting & it seems ok but just concerned that the 240v issues are damaging it or might cause premature failure of the battery if not getting charged correctly?

No trouble with mine AussieMatt, charged about 20% of the time with 240v and never had an issue. The cig lighter in the car gives the usual red flashing light.

the majority of my charging is using the USB port on a Weekender/ Thunder battery box, 120 AH AGM battery, woks perfectly.

Thanks Coota - I got it to charge to a solid green light after 3 attempts so will see how it goes tomorrow hopefully. Bit of pain when you charge it overnight & it gives the green blinking light on start up but then find a blinking red light in the morning. 

Might just keep it charged off my 12v powerpack.

I have patiently followed this thread. It's been interesting and educational as is just about every thing else posted on this forum. But the one thing missing is Why does a $10,000.00 detector have a $2.00 battery charging system. My 12V adapter shorted the first time I used it and the charger itself has yet to work properly except when plugged into a 110V receptacle. Are we all supposed to overlook this blatant rip off because the charger has ML stamped on it? I am now prepared to accept the consequences of  excommunication from the ML religion. May God have mercy on my soul.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, klunker said:

I have patiently followed this thread. It's been interesting and educational as is just about every thing else posted on this forum. But the one thing missing is Why does a $10,000.00 detector have a $2.00 battery charging system. My 12V adapter shorted the first time I used it and the charger itself has yet to work properly except when plugged into a 110V receptacle. Are we all supposed to overlook this blatant rip off because the charger has ML stamped on it? I am now prepared to accept the consequences of  excommunication from the ML religion. May God have mercy on my soul.

Got news for you, that 10,000 dollar detector is only 8,000 now.....

Ivan don't be so cruel...we hurt enough!

I have found the 120 charger works fine but I don't have enough cord to take the house current with me.

The 12v that hooks to the battery with clips works fine but that is a pain to lift the hood and the damn clips are too small...

The 12v cig lighter type plug works but sometimes flashes...but still charges. I have found that moving the male plug around a little improves the connection to stop the red flashing...

But I agree, Klunker...the parts ought to be much better made.

fred

• Like 1