Hello.

I was out detecting an old park today that I have been working for a little while which has an interesting history. In the early 1900's it was the site of a hotel, this closed down at some point and during the second world war the building was a military post office. Today it is just an old neglected park.

So this morning I found what I think is the back of an old pocket watch, possibly gilded. It has "Made in U.S.A" stamped on it and a slot with small graduations under it it. On the left hand end is the letter "F" and on the right side is the letter "S". I am assuming this is a fast/slow adjustment? 

I have searched the net trying to find a similar item but with no luck. If anyone has an idea as to it's age I would be most appreciative.

IMG_2904.jpeg

IMG_2903.jpeg

Nice find. The FS is fast slow. Is that steel? Usually they are brass or brass with silver plating on the low end.

Can you see any makers mark on it? All I can pick out is made in usa.

Hi Kac,

It's made from brass and yes the only marks are the made in U.S.A I'm afraid.

It does look to have been gold plated.

Any idea of age/era?

image.png.2942a2fcf90818aba29a27993e43cf32.png

I've seen this kind of adjustment on alarm clocks (as in the above image).  If you Google search "antique alarm clock back" you will see many more.  It would be surprising for this to be on a pocket watch unless it were under a 'door', else you would likely unintentionally slide the lever when taking it in and out of your pocket.  It's small for the (entire) back of an alarm clock but it could have been attached to the (larger) back plate, I suppose.

Interesting find but it's seen better days.  ?  I have no idea of its age.  Sure appears to have been in the ground a long time.  WAG is that it is from the hotel era.

• Like 1

Think GB is correct, it probably is an alarm clock (one that rang just a little too early too many times)!