Final Tuneup Before Oz

Hi Mitchel

Great finds; Just a reminder for your trip;

Review the GPZ 7000 Detect settings on pages 21-27 of the user manual.

And recheck your settings at the start of each day.

Have a great trip,
Chet

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, kiwijw said:

Very best of luck Mitchel. Some beautiful pics in your post. Thanks for sharing. Stay safe, keep well in your travels. Hope you head home with some Aussie yellow.?

Very best of luck to you out there.

JW ? 

I still may have to come and get a nugget or two of Kiwi gold no matter what happens in OZ.  My sister-in-law lives there growing veggies!  They have a young son working Auckland.  I'll be there for a visit one of these years.

5 hours ago, fredmason said:

Nice nuggie, nice meteorites and pennies from heaven!

What are the two pic's of the "hot rocks"...looks like some of that nasty Gold basin shist or shist's close cousin...

fred

Fred,

I took those pictures because it was layered.  I wanted to bring that rock home for my rock garden but I have so many now ... I just took a picture.  The rock was not hot.  I had just not seen quartz in quite that many layers.

Mitchel

• Like 1

Nice post Mitchel. Now for the real story, your trip. Looking forward to reading your impressions. Wishing you safe and exciting travels.

• Thanks 1

The rock in question looks to be Arizona BIF, you'll probably see some more of that in Australia too though lots hotter there and more reddish/yellowish. In AZ the cherty layer has been partially metamorphosed into something that looks very much like quartz but I believe is quartzite.

Might be a cool rock to snag because if that's what it is, you are looking at something amazing and precambrian outcrops are rare in AZ. It's an indirect fossil record of the largest oxygenation event on Earth, a process created by the emergence of the first life over a billion years ago, which was bacteria. Same way plants create oxygen, except this was before even plants existed. This made the iron in the oceans form oxides (magnetites and hematites) and settle on the bottom in layers between sediments (the quartzy stuff). Without this life as we know it would not exist, pretty cool stuff for an unassuming rock.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 1

1 hour ago, jasong said:

The rock in question looks to be Arizona BIF, you'll probably see some more of that in Australia too though lots hotter there and more reddish/yellowish. In AZ the cherty layer has been partially metamorphosed into something that looks very much like quartz but I believe is quartzite.

Might be a cool rock to snag because if that's what it is, you are looking at something amazing and precambrian outcrops are rare in AZ. It's an indirect fossil record of the largest oxygenation event on Earth, a process created by the emergence of the first life over a billion years ago, which was bacteria. Same way plants create oxygen, except this was before even plants existed. This made the iron in the oceans form oxides (magnetites and hematites) and settle on the bottom in layers between sediments (the quartzy stuff). Without this life as we know it would not exist, pretty cool stuff for an unassuming rock.

Thanks jasong.  I do have some banded iron that is wind blown and when you hold it ... there is 'life' in the rock.  I was aware that this was the beginning of life in those layers but it didn't occur to me that this could be the same but I think you are right because the layers look like deposits and not extrusions.

Mitchel