Hi Mitchel

Great finds; Just a reminder for your trip;

Review the GPZ 7000 Detect settings on pages 21-27 of the user manual.

And recheck your settings at the start of each day.

Have a great trip,
Chet

• Thanks 1

Very best of luck Mitchel. Some beautiful pics in your post. Thanks for sharing. Stay safe, keep well in your travels. Hope you head home with some Aussie yellow.👍

Very best of luck to you out there.

JW 🤠 

• Thanks 1

Wow, way to go out with a bang, a 1.3 gram beauty!

I bet you're excited of the adventure ahead! I can't wait to read your stories and wish you luck finding a big one.

• Like 1

Nice nuggie, nice meteorites and pennies from heaven!

What are the two pic's of the "hot rocks"...looks like some of that nasty Gold basin shist or shist's close cousin...

fred

7 hours ago, kiwijw said:

Very best of luck Mitchel. Some beautiful pics in your post. Thanks for sharing. Stay safe, keep well in your travels. Hope you head home with some Aussie yellow.👍

Very best of luck to you out there.

JW 🤠 

I still may have to come and get a nugget or two of Kiwi gold no matter what happens in OZ.  My sister-in-law lives there growing veggies!  They have a young son working Auckland.  I'll be there for a visit one of these years.

5 hours ago, fredmason said:

Nice nuggie, nice meteorites and pennies from heaven!

What are the two pic's of the "hot rocks"...looks like some of that nasty Gold basin shist or shist's close cousin...

fred

Fred,

I took those pictures because it was layered.  I wanted to bring that rock home for my rock garden but I have so many now ... I just took a picture.  The rock was not hot.  I had just not seen quartz in quite that many layers.

Mitchel

• Like 1

Nice post Mitchel. Now for the real story, your trip. Looking forward to reading your impressions. Wishing you safe and exciting travels.

• Thanks 1

Mitchel, show those Ozblokes what a California Desert Rat can do! Best wishes, bud! HH Jim

• Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Condor
      I'm late getting out week 4, but unfortunately there wasn't much to report.  We've had wind, then some wind & rain, then some really fine days.  We lost a day here and there between weather, then the meeting with Dave on the X-Coil.  We had 2 long days at the very southern end of the lease and did a great deal of exploring.  We found a few crumbs.  Dennis actually found 12 nuggets that weighed a total of 1.2 grams.  It was enough to keep us busy and always thinking we were one coil swing away from a really good strike.  We just couldn't get that coil over the big stuff.
      I'm using our backup GPX5000 with the 14X9 Coiltek Elite coil while I'm waiting for my Patch Lead to be completed.   I was amazed at how quiet that machine can be.  I cranked up the RX and cranked down the Stabilizer just so I could hear some noise.  I found 3 tiny crumbs, 1 of them in one of my own boot scrapes from last week.  Clearly, the 5000 can find tiny gold.  My Patch Lead is delayed for another week, apparently one of the 5-pin connecter screws twisted off during reassembly.  I'm satisfied I'm not missing much if anything with the 5000, but I really want to get that 17" X-Coil in motion.
      We're making our move to a new lease tomorrow so we've got a full day of packing and hauling Camp Yank.  The flies remain a constant distraction during midday.  I bring out the bug hood the minute one dive bombs my eyes or nose.  They are persistent little buggers,   Dennis is a lot more tolerant.
      Paul made it back safe and sound.  He's chomping at the bit to get some of this $1400 an oz gold out of the ground.  Their backhoe is up and running again, so good things should start happening soon for their team.
      Sorry for the short and relatively uneventful report.  Maybe next week, it's all about the possibilities not the probabilities that keeps us swinging those detectors.  

• By Joe76
      In FNQ Australia, there are a number of properties you can go on & detect for gold. Most places are pay to detect & are well set up for camping with designated areas set aside for metal detecting, if you are fortunate enough to have access to private leases & cattle stations with gold bearing country even better again. Up until today, I had access to one of these private cattle stations to prospect on. Unfortunately I no longer have access, this is due to the fact there are still people doing the wrong thing while on these properties. The rubbish left behind at camp sites and open detector holes for cattle to break legs in is out of control. On top of that you got fence jumpers & poachers running a muck too. This is causing huge issues for for graziers forcing them to close the gates to everyone & in most cases getting access now, is nearly impossible. 
      I can't express in words how disappointing this is for us guys & girls who are doing the right thing, only to be told you can't detect at your favourite spot anymore because of w#%kers ruining it for everyone. So the quest for a new spot starts again....  Take only gold and memories & leave only foot prints. So we will all have somewhere to look for gold in the future!

• By mn90403
      I didn't go deep enough when I was there!
      https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/when-you-see-it-you-can-t-mistake-it-the-comeback-of-victorian-gold-20190620-p51zne.html 
    • By jrbeatty
      Looks like instability in the Persian Gulf has had one positive outcome with gold topping AU$2000 for the first time.
      Certainly will run higher but may need to consolidate first. Traders taking profits may also push it down:

• By Condor
      Tough sledding out here in WA.  We've put in a lot of miles exploring along the "line of strike" gold producing zone.  We generally start from old Drill Site roads or old pushes and do a 1/4 mile up and back grid along the likely areas.  The few we're finding are where weathering has exposed deeper ground on the old pushes, plus the Z 7000 can find tiny gold the original detectors missed.  They didn't miss much based on our return so far. 
      Our hearts were thumping yesterday when I got a deep low tone way down in the caprock.  Luckily Nurse Paul was nearby and brought over the jackhammer.  Paul put in a yeoman's effort on the hammer, Dennis and I traded off digging out the hole.  We waved over the hole with everything we had, GPX, GPZ and 2300, and with the exception of the 2300 it all sounded good, but it just never improved even after we were down over a foot.  Finally even the 2300 was giving us a signal and we gave up for the evening.  Paul went back this morning and finally pulled out some kind of hot rock, the story is much more detailed, but that's the jist.  No doubt Paul has his version of events.
      The weather has turned nasty, threatening rain and gusty winds.  Camp Yank took some damage from the wind, turned over the prep table for cooking.  Pots, pans, plates and everything associated got dumped into the dirt.  Paul cleaned it up considerably, but I think he left some soap on my dinner plate, cuz I'm feeling a bit puny this morning.  We have the gazebo anchored on each end with an ATV to keep it from blowing away.  
      Dennis gold photo is his cumulative, mine shows this weeks finds only.  It's just a matter of time till we hit a big one.
      Flies continue to be a menace, they just don't quit.  They're having a tough time today with these gusty winds, but they'll find a way.

• By Joe76
      G'day everybody,
      Just thought I would start a thread on making your own gold maps to better your chances at striking it rich or at least finding a bit of gold. If this topic has already been done before please let me know & I'll remove it. I can't find anything specific on making your maps on the forum. So what are the things available for us to use in making custom gold maps?  Geological maps, topographical maps, books such as Ghost & gold series, Department of mining websites, google earth etc...there is plenty of resources that we can use.  I live in sunny north QLD Australia, so any info I can share with you will be based on what we have available in our QLD. Every state in Australia has its own mining department along with (rules and regulations) that differ from state to state. 
      Department of Mines & Energy in QLD is the website I use to gather a lot of information, so far it has paid out very well in some areas. In particular small isolated gold occurrences. I often look around the fringes of existing gold fields looking for potential gold locations especially along fault lines with historical gold workings. The more remote the area the better, as there are fewer chances of modern detectors having worked the area in recent years.
      To get the ball rolling I thought I would just post a couple of pics of areas I have researched & marked out where I've found gold & see where it leads us.