Haven’t had a lot of free time to detect but did take yesterday off to hit a beach. I had to try out the new aluminum handle on the GPX. Works excellent and does not snap like the stock one does with a heavy coil on it. I found the usual junk, but surprisingly not too much. There were quite a few brass targets to get the heart pumping that looked like gold at first glance. The normal junk jewelry was there along with a spoon handle that may be nickel or silver. No sign of brass/copper. Not magnetic. I’m a little surprised at the number of nickels still to be found. A little bit of clad with some great toning on some of the copper pennies. For the good stuff: A Walking Liberty half, War nickel, silver Roosevelt, and a dated Buffalo. In the good jewelry category, I was again surprised to get a small signet ring that is unmarked gold, also having a nice toning. Must be 9k with the base metal toning. It buffs right out to look a solid gold color. Old lettering I’m only guessing early 1900’s to about 30’s?? Also got a class ring that hopefully makes the return a breeze, considering it has the person’s full name in cursive inside the band. Definitely before we considered identity theft LOL. And the final surprise of the day came from this gorgeous crucifix. Gold marked 10KN. The N part is new to me. Wondering if it means plum gold? Anyone know? Just a great day to be out and enjoy the good weather.

DSC00007.JPG

DSC00006.JPG

DSC00012.JPG

DSC00017.JPG

DSC00011.JPG

• Like 8

Looks like you made up for lost time in one day. Get a acid test kit, I ended up doing that and found what I thought was a junk charm was platinum with diamonds and an ear ring that turned out to be 18k. Kits are cheap enough and take the guess work out of it.

I believe most vintage jewelry usually have a  makers mark as well as a hallmark indicating date. An un-marked could be modern or custom jewelry and difficult to get info on.

• Like 1

Wow, I love digging nickels, most 10k ladies rings I've found fall at or below a nickel.  Any war nickels in the bunch?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mark Gillespie said:

Wow, I love digging nickels, most 10k ladies rings I've found fall at or below a nickel.  Any war nickels in the bunch?

One war nickel from the hunt but not in that picture of nickels. Somehow one of my pictures did not post. Here it is with that nickel.

DSC00003.JPG

• Like 3

Quite the precious metal trove for a one day hunt!   I'm envious of that Walker.  I still haven't found a silver half dollar.  I LoL'ed when you included that nearly gone Zincoln in your photos.  Apparently the saltwater speeds up the deterioration process -- a fate the wretched things deserve.

How and how much did you clean the coins?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Quite the precious metal trove for a one day hunt!   I'm envious of that Walker.  I still haven't found a silver half dollar.  I LoL'ed when you included that nearly gone Zincoln in your photos.  Apparently the saltwater speeds up the deterioration process -- a fate the wretched things deserve.

How and how much did you clean the coins?

The half dollars always surprise me. I stopped digging the high conductors because most were pennies and I promised myself I was going to look for just low gold sounds. But I couldn't resist that one signal. Every target I dug that day required me to rake my shovel sideways to pull 8" of rocks away. It's a hard packed beach, since most of the sand has washed away. That Zincoln is actually what is left from a copper penny. This area has a lot of coins that degrade to nothing eventually. The silver is protected to a point by the crust it develops, but the coppers just degrade over time. I quickly brass brushed the silver to show some detail. The copper pennies wipe clean when you dig them. Then they tone a bunch of colors when they are exposed to the oxygen in the air. Only in some areas do they come out bright and clean like that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, strick said:

The Crucifix...... thumbs up 

strick

Thanks. For some reason this beach has given me 3 of them. I rarely find them anywhere else.

• Like 1