Some Finds From A Hunt On Monday

Hi guys. Here's some finds made with the Eqx 8000 on monday. Was pretty happy with the outcome. One Chinese coin and the Broach was in some fairly hot ground under some rocks and mineralised clay from an old lead throw out heap. Around 8 or so inches roughly. I like the 800 but it really is screaming out for a 10 inch elliptical or similar. Some type of solid coil. 

finds2.jpg

• Like 7

Good finds Busho . A solid coil that doesn't catch every twig would be so handy for the Nox . Most ground here in Tassie is covered in Bracken fern which really loves to combine with that spoked Nox coil .

• Like 1

Nice.

Rather than glue a sheet of plastic to a coil, has anyone ever tried shrink film? Like the stuff they use on boats?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kac said:

Nice.

Rather than glue a sheet of plastic to a coil, has anyone ever tried shrink film? Like the stuff they use on boats?

Is it durable enough to stand up to rocks, dirt etc...? I'm thinking try what Steve did, but also drill some small holes to let out the water and instead of gluing it to the coil, use those drainage holes and secure with some zip ties. That way you can clip the zip ties and the cover comes off. I zip tied my CTX large coil and it worked well.

There are different gauges of shrink film, maybe the real thick stuff 8-12mil be good. I think the boat wrap is pretty tough but not sure.

A couple points on two of the options:

1) I modified Steve's method -- polycarbonate sheet but attached with 100% silicone (caulk).  The idea was for the attaching to be reversible.  It's starting to come delaminated.

2) Why not have two coil covers -- one modified (with epoxy) and one stock?

3) I tried 0.020 inch thick polyethylene (construction grade moisture barrier) to cover the magnet on my pick.  Didn't even hold up for one gold hunt.  The shrink wrap plastic is probably tougher but I doubt it will hold up for long.  Think about the tape that Coiltek and Nuggetfinder use around the edge of the coils.  It's super tough but it wears out, and it doesn't take as rough of a ride typically as the bottom of the coil.

You could use Velcro to hold the sheets on rather than eboxy. Another alternative is the adhesive tape used for plaques and awards.

I would pick a plastic that is uv and impact resistant.

Having the plasic so the edge wraps up is ideal so you don't get every weed and stick caught on the seem. But only way to do that from a sheet is to heat form it some how and that depends on the plastic used. Possible to make a form out of wood to press it in shape with a heat gun. Basically take a couple sheets of mdf or plywood (doesn't have to be thick) use one as a base, saw the other to the shape of the coil. Take a thicker piece and cut that to shape of the coil and then heat the area to be bent and squish it. Though Acrylic forms easy I think it would be too brittle so maybe ABS or PVC?

• Like 1

Congrats on those cool finds. Looking for my 1st Chinese coin. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Unfortunately I have come down with the flu and my plans to hunt for more have been put on hold. Im hoping in a few more days to come good enough for another hunt. If so, I'll hopefully show some more. Fingers crossed.