Recommendations For 600/800 Unit Updates

Guest Tnsharpshooter

Guest Tnsharpshooter

The user profile button can be used to quickly shift to other settings.  I wish Minelab would have given us option to De- globalize the settings we wanted to do. Like sensitivity.  Sure would be a good OPTIONAL update to put together and offer folks.  For EQx 800 model only suggested.

Here is a suggestion I would like to see if possible to do.
Would be good for both Eqx 600 and 800 models.
Would be nice if I could have detector in a detect mode.  And could have option to hit one key or a couple keys and the entire detect mode (currently in) all settings would sequentially be displayed to user with the corresponding menu icon (be it normal or advanced) shown as settings are cycled.  Instead of a person having to go and double check when they turn on their detector.

PS
I guarantee some folks have used EQX with higher iron bias while detecting than they wanted to use,.  Accidentally.  My suggestion if possible would cut down on this error.

Another recommendation to do if possible - apply to both 600 and 800 units.
Can a way be devised where say a person is more or less a dedicated blue tooth headphone user.  Where blue tooth is where Nox goes first searching instead of wi stream.
Some time is wasted  by folks waiting for Nox to get to blue tooth search the way it is.
So basically allow which one (Wi stream or blue tooth) to be the first one searched for for a user.
Again another creature comfort Minelab.
And the 600 model I am assuming does search for Wi stream first.  Someone correct me I am wrong.  600 model doesn’t even come with Wi stream module so it sure should be default set to look for Bluetooth first I think if nothing else.

Oh yeah I’ve used EQX 800 a lot.  There are things I notice that can be improved upon (for a digitally updatable) unit.

While the cogs are still turning in my head.lol
Here’s another update recommendation.
Imo the sp reset is really useless when one thinks about it.  Yeah it has a function.  But a person can reset the whole detector and get by.
So, it would be nice if a user could set up a detect mode with settings.  And save.  And by doing a sp reset these settings would be reverted back to by detector.
Much more practical.
In the field a person may change settings on the fly.  And instead of having to remember what they changed in the detect mode they are using they could do a sp reset for  the detect mode in question and restore their personal settings for a particular detect mode.
Granted doing a full reset FP would reset detector to factory detect mode settings thus overriding personal settings set prior.

Backlight on both 600 and 800 should default to OFF when unit is powered down.
The way it is it stays at whatever setting it was when powered off.  So a user may have backlight on during daytime after nighttime use and not even realize and waste battery power.

Yeah I know some may think this is merely idiot proofing the detector moreso.  I don’t see it that way at all.  I see it as this detector has the capability to be more user friendly and maybe just save  a user some time.

Good stuff

I am hoping that Minelab is developing an update to enhance the detector. Sure it's great as is, but things like you mention would be the icing on the cake. 

After the lack of CTX upgrades for years and years, I admit I am a bit skeptical we will see many (any?) more for Equinox..

We already had kind of a wishlist somewhere..

Different people have different attitudes .. so many wishes have their cons and pros depending on the user, point of view, usecase and so on..

One of my personal wishes for the 800 though:

Swap the user profile button with the search mode button! I've stopped using the user profile button, because it's totally un-ergonomic...

• Like 1

Guest Tnsharpshooter

So I started my own wish list.

Prior wish lists, folks were giving suggestions with less time on Equinox units.  I have used the unit enough now, I can definitely see where some changes would make the detector better overall.  Not performance related but user friendly in the field.

Equinox models really don’t have a way to save detect mode settings for each detect mode.  Yes the detector line remains in last settings used at turn off but this is not the same.  My recommendation if adopted allows for a user to immediately go to their baseline settings with push of a button with detect mode selected ( with saved settings) when they start detecting for the day.

Equinox line seems to still be selling well.  Accessories for the line too.  No hard copy manual so any and all changes via updates can be electronically expressed in user’s manual.  A grand thing.  Would be nice to be able to see version ID loaded in units at turn on. Or if this is not possible allow this info to be accessed somehow using detector only- not with cable and computer.

Minelab can always read my recommendations and weigh and consider applying to their new next line of detectors they are working on.  I charge nothing for my recommendations. 

Certainly some positive improvements can be found:

1.Adjustable modulation of audio -... Adjustable audio gain.
The advantages of this setting are just a few.
2.autotracking with positive setting +3, to + 7 offset numbers Ground balance ..
3. Change user program using the button on the front panel.
4 . Pinpoint  mode with depth indicator in centimeters-inch ..
5.Allmetal mode - also in Park, Field, and Beach ...program modes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sinclair said:

Swap the user profile button with the search mode button! I've stopped using the user profile button, because it's totally un-ergonomic...

My desire is similar - swap the User profile button and the Frequency button. I almost never use the frequency button - my detector stays in Multi. I agree the User profile button is just awkward enough that I basically don't use it either but would be more inclined to if it was easier to access.

In general Minelab considers the update facility to be for fixing bugs, so I won’t hold my breath on any more updates.

• Like 4

I started making a list of quibbles with the Equinox early last year after a few weeks of using the Equinox and reviewed the list again after this thread started.  First of all, the list is pretty short and several things have come off the list over time as Equinox has either addressed the issues via firmware updates, third party accessories are available, or the issues were just me getting used to Equinox.  Also, I haven't really added anything to list in months.  Anyway, here we go:

• Ergonomics, build quality, and accessories:
    • Balance and shafting issues: 
      • This is a user dependent thing and I think a lot of energy is wasted over things that cannot be resolved by a singular design such as S-shaft vs. straight and overall balance.  Suffice to say, ML did have issues with shaft wobble and regardless of whether you believe they have resolved those issues, at least they were willing to send replacements under warranty.  In any event, there are plenty of third party options available to address the shafting issues to satisfy user preference.  I am looking forward to more straight forward options regarding compact or telescoping shafts to support travel and backpack situations.
      • Control Head Physical Design:  Love that it can be removed as a self contained unit really facilitates the third party shaft options and user mods.  My only minor issues is perhaps a future battery type modification that allows shrinking the handle diameter and perhaps a mechanism that allows adjustment of the handle tilt.
    • Accessories
      • Redesign the WM08 module to be able to accommodate either a 1/8" or 1/4" headphone plug without the need to use an adapter and drop the recessed screw-in jack design which limits choice of adapter dimensions on the WM08 unless you plan to also make the WM08 IPX weatherproof/waterproof rated.  (Also reduce the standalone price to something that makes sense in the context of providing an economically affordable detector.  Providing an audio accessory that costs 40% of the Equinox 600, more than any of the accessory coils, or almost as much as the (still overpriced) full-featured ML Pro-Sonic is kinda nuts.  Furthermore, universal ML detector compatibility of the wi-stream products would be welcome and perhaps would encourage investing in the systems).
      • 10x5 or similar small width/decent coverage elliptical coil options, including closed coil designs, would be welcome.
    • User Interface:
      • Agree with swapping of the single frequency and user profile buttons but am starting to get so used to it that it may screw me up if they ever actually did this. Lol.
      • A simple firmware update that enable the use to step forwards or backwards through the mode profiles and the settings menu options would be welcome
      • Would love to have an Fe3O4 mineralization level meter
    • Performance and Related Features:
      • Would love either or both of the following: 
        • Lower single frequency options in gold mode - I know that makes it less of a gold only mode, but it would be interesting
        • Provide the gold mode true threshold and audio as an audio option for the non-gold modes as an alternative to tone ID
      • Enable multiple firmware versions to reside on the machine itself (up to 2 or 3) to enable switching between them.  I would limit this to just the "performance related" feature upgrades (enhanced edge-on coin performance) and not the bug fixes like the user profile mode power off bug which no one would like to see return.

Welcome your comments and suggestions.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2019 at 5:37 PM, Chase Goldman said:

Redesign the WM08 module to be able to accommodate either a 1/8" or 1/4" headphone plug without the need to use an adapter....

Yes, yes, yes.  This is not merely an issue with the Minelab Equinox but many other detectors.  Fisher did this years ago with some of their detectors (but not all).  This idea that you need a flaky(!) adapter to be able to use 1/4 inch plug headphones with the latest detectors is total &#*)$@) !!!!  Ditto the idea that Wifi, Wistream, etc.  are the rage and "who needs old technology?"  My first, second, third, and fourth best options for my Eqx 800 are all 3rd party headphones and 3 out of 4 have 1/4 inch plugs.  Metal detector companies are great at building metal detectors, but to take the attitude that "one size fits all" in regards to headphones?  I do give Minelab credit for giving us the WM08 option, though.  That is my exclusive path these days.  Anyone want to trade their WM08 for my ML80's?? ?

On another topic that fits this thread:  is there a reason we can't have multiple saved (profile) options?  Isn't this just done with RAM?

(stepping down from my soapbox now....)