Sign in to follow this  
kiwijw

My 1st Gold With The X Coil 10 X 9

Very nice indeed.  Jw is the Z a little un balanced with the 10 coil?  I have ordered the 12 but want the 10 but it looks so small.

2 minutes ago, goldwright said:

Very nice indeed.  Jw is the Z a little un balanced with the 10 coil?  I have ordered the 12 but want the 10 but it looks so small.

Hi there goldwright. Thank you.  When I very first used the 10 x 9 I did find it very unbalanced. It seemed very strange, even seeing that small coil on the end of the Zed. I have got use to it now & don't notice it. I still use the bungy cord & would still use the swing arm, but I broke that a couple of weeks ago & waiting on the replacement part. Simon & I did go back to this spot today as we got rained off it last weekend. I was wanting to try the 15 x 14 coil over the same ground. That post still to come.

The 10 x 9 is going to open up so much more ground to me that I just couldn't get the ML 14 into. Every bodies wish was for a smaller coil for just that reason. This coil is it. Cheers

Good luck out there

JW 🤠

• Like 2

This has been a very cool spot for JW and his X-coils, it's been detected to death, JW's obviously done it numerous times but by the number of dig holes and the ease of access I'd say many more people have too.  The place is covered in dig holes!  I wasn't able to pull up any gold with either detector.  It's amazing the X-coils are now getting him gold out of it again.

It has lots of little iron stones or something too, which made life hell with the Equinox. 

IMG_20190504_131409.thumb.jpg.fa8433d8ae37b954cfc18f11e44efef9.jpg

A big fat wad of them stuck to my pick's magnet. I should of put eyes on it and I'd have a smiley face 🙂

The other oddity I found here was these Green hot rocks John talked about them in his post, they were everywhere and caused me grief with the Equinox and GPX, more so the GPX as they were such a sweet signal. With the Nox I could ignore targets that came in as  -8, -9, 11 and 12 on the VDI's, they for some reason bounced between all those numbers.

I smashed one open to see if I could find out why they set my detectors off and they had this brown rusty interior, this particular one had a hollow all the way through it like metal that had rusted out and disappeared

IMG_20190504_130442.thumb.jpg.fc6e92ec2a75360cab3e61cdff909e91.jpg

IMG_20190504_130434.thumb.jpg.7386e8edf67c551534c58b17daf994e1.jpgIMG_20190504_130733.thumb.jpg.ae89c17287b9f0505bb067226e2c8a79.jpg

• Like 7

Strange looking rocks Simon, like some kind of Oxide has leached out and left the cavity in the rock.

cheers dave

• Like 2

Indeed, I even found a green rock that was giving a pretty solid 39 on the VDI's, absolutely stumped why a rock would come up such a good number. I tried to smash this one up but was unable to, it was tough. 

Beautiful area to detect though and pretty close to home, and it's good to see John's pulling more gold out with these coils when he thought it had dried up,  I'm determined to get some there, I won't be beat! 🙂  Every time I look over to see how JW's doing he's got his phone out taking a photo of his coil!!!   I don't have that problem, I'm too busy taking photos of rocks.

I showed my wife JW's post and she said oh no, he broke his arm!! because he said he broke his swing arm :laugh: for those that don't know, the swing arm is an accessory

You wait for JW's day 2's report at this spot! The X-coils are brilliant :nugget:

One of John's nuggets looks like a little Thumbs UP

536813598_thumbsupgold.jpg.f03278166cf79dfc2aff576752211d92.jpg

👍 to the X-coils :laugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Looks like you may have found the source rocks for where the gold formed.  Vuggy iron oxide cavities in a greenstone, look like a great place for nuggety crystal growth.  

• Like 2

Way to make that x-coil work JW, nice finds that you've earned through years of dedication. 

As always, I really enjoy your write-ups and your photographs, much appreciated.

All the best,

Lanny

• Thanks 1

Simon,

Enjoyed your write-up and photos as well. It looks like you've found some rocks (green) with a high concentration of oxidized iron, and maybe something else? A bit of a mystery for sure.

I've found strange rocks from time to time that mimic gold in every way for the detectors I use, and they sure get the heart racing until I uncover them and see that they're not gold.

Interesting how nature can counterfeit the signature of gold . . .

All the best,

Lanny

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, afreakofnature said:

Looks like you may have found the source rocks for where the gold formed.  Vuggy iron oxide cavities in a greenstone, look like a great place for nuggety crystal growth.  

All the gold I have found in this locality over the years has all been smooth water worn alluvial/glacial. So has traveled far from where it came.  Not one piece that resembled rough reef gold or any quartz specimen pieces. No quartz attached to any of it. Geologists are of the opinion that this valley has reversed itself since the gold was deposited & before the last glacial advance ripped up this valley re sorting it all again. Smart buggers these geo's. There is identical gold a few valleys over where Simon & I have detected. Faulting & folding & land upheaval mixed in with glaciation throws a spanner in the works trying to make any sense of it & just where the gold came from.  Over the years I have given up trying to work it out. Gold is where you find it.:rolleyes: The old timers have helped me out immensely. Cheers

Good luck out there

JW 🤠

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Skookum
      Alright, I know nobody really knows the answer to when there will be a GPZ successor.  Because of that, I'm just pinging for some opinions.  We are currently a VLF only family that's interested in a detector that reduces some of the hot rock music we listen to here in Arizona.  If you were in the market and didn't have a PI detector would you:  A) get a used GPZ for $4500-5000 or B) wait and see what comes out over the next one to several years (depending on what rumors you believe)?  And, a here's bonus follow up question.  Does anybody have a guess what happens to used GPZ prices after the next model appears?
    • By afreakofnature
      I would like to start a thread of peoples opinions on what they found between these two machines with various coils.  I love my SDC and have found my biggest and smallest gold with it (8”).  My GPZ has definitely gone deeper for gold (14”).  I am about even on the total count for each, weight a being different story.
      I understand that if you only have one detector then you want coil options, but if you got both I wonder what would be a better bang for your buck?  A 10” Xcoil at $1000 or a 11”Coiltek at $310.  Thats if they compare at depth and sensitivity.
      Norvic I would love for you to state your opinions here, you seem to have the most on thses just based on other posts.
    • By phoenix
      Clearly, with the huge amount of interest that is being shown in the after market coils for 7000, it`s obvious that there is a market out there for coils other than 14'' and 19".       I don`t take the 19" out much because I have had very little success with it and with my bad wrists it`s just too damn heavy, but Minelab did tell us in the early days of marketing the 7000 that they would be releasing a 11" coil down the track, and now there is another company that nobody has ever heard of making a huge range of coils that are lighter and have so far been very well received by the public.
      What`s going on Minelab?
    • By phoenix
      A couple of months ago I put out a call for the parts list for the WM12 because my original WM12 was taking forever to charge.          At the same time I bought the replacement battery, I also bought some heavier charging cables because I have about half a dozen devices that all use the same cable. I bought cables that were listed as suitable for external hard drives and they were about 6 bucks each. Because I kept changing cables on different devices I don`t even know now what cables came with the WM12.         Anyway, with the heavier charging cables my original WM12 now charges QUICKER than the newer WM12, so I don`t need to fit the battery.        Maybe, if your WM12 is getting sluggish charging, it may not be the battery, it may be the cable breaking down.   Just a thought.    Dave

• By davsgold
      The battery is ok but, it maybe the speaker or some other connection.
      It has static at times and cuts in and out, even when it is clipped to the arm strap on the detector, I have narrowed it down to the WM12 as even when it has headphones plugged in it still does the same as when they are unplugged and with a booster and external speakers it does the same whether they are plugged in or not.
      Is there a way to check if it is just the WM12 speaker or something else inside it.
      It looks like the actual speaker is a replacement part? and would hopefully be cheaper than a whole new WM12
      Any ideas?
      So for now I am just plugging the booster and dual speakers into the back of the 7000 near the battery, but after getting used to being unteathered  by cables it is just a bit annoying when you put the machine down and go to retrieve the target. 
      cheers dave
    • By Jonathan Porter
      Hi Bill, Salt is always going to be a problem, especially if you want to also achieve depth. Deeper targets are slow responses, salt signal kills slow signal responses. My advice on salty areas is to try your most sensitive modes first and go down from there, in this instance it would be High Yield, then General then Xtra Deep Normal before I changed any of my other settings.
      Your Threshold is too low, stick to 27 especially if Audio Smoothing is in the Off position, I would also recommend using Semi Auto mode because Salt signal messes with the Ferrite Balance in Auto mode. 
      There is a huge difference in Salt signal if you go from Normal to Difficult, this also might have been a good option for you dependant on the ground in your area. A lot of people shy away from Difficult especially in quieter soils because there is a perceived depth reduction, however on Half ounce nuggets Difficult actually gives a better signal response than Normal does in any of the Normal modes (HY, Gen or XtraDeep). 
      Minelab introduced the Ground Smoothing mode in the last update, this mode was specifically designed for Salty ground conditions, essentially they are Motion filters so there is a depth reduction when you select either Patch or Salty mode so I tend to avoid them but it does smooth the machine out a lot.
      Finally, having a controlled swing speed helps immensely with Salt signals, try not to suddenly vertically lift the coil as this exacerbates the salt signal immensely. To confirm it is salt signal just lift the coil from detect height to abover your head, as the coil transitions from your waist height to shoulder height you should hear a moaning sound, the level of salt signal is determined by how loud this response is. The other way is to place the coil in the air out in front of you with the coil parallel to the ground then rotate the coil from left to right and listen to the audio response, the greater the noise the greater the salt levels. This will help you to decided how aggressive you need to be in reducing sensitivity via the Gold/Ground type Modes or the use of the Ground Smoothing filters.
      Hope this helps
      JP