AT Pro - Coil Cable Causes Tone When Bumped Close To Connector

I have had a Garrett ACE 250 for several years and just bought a very slightly used Garrett AT Pro a week ago.  A couple of times I did not get any sound when first turned on but after wiggling the coil cable it started giving tones again.  On occasion it has suddenly started chattering with almost no movement and I have done a reset and it corrected the problem.  My main issue right now is that if I bump the coil cable close to the connector I get a tone every time.  I have removed and re-inserted the connector twice making sure it is fully inserted but still get the tones.  I have made sure its not the connector itself.  I don't have another coil for the AT Pro to swap out.  I texted the previous owner to find out when he purchased it hoping it was less than the 24 month warranty that Garrett has.  Wondering how strict Garrett is on fixing issues like this or replacing a coil with a bad cable if I was not the original purchaser.  Any suggestions are appreciated. 

Sounds like cable shielding issues, as phrunt mentioned it could be either the cable connector or female socket in the housing.  Seems to be a common issue, used to have the same problem with the Infinium coil cable plugs with the same style of connectors.  Also check that none of the pins are bent or cracked and align properly with the socket.

If the connector doesn't have any play or wiggle to it then it could be dirty connecter pins. If you can find a bit of lithium dielectric grease you could put some on the pins.

Good chance the machine was in the salt and some salt got on the connector.

When I rewired a boat I had I used that grease and it works awesome.

Garrett is really good on repairs so giving them a holler if that doesn't work won't hurt.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I haven't had much time to work on it but I looked at the pins and connector again and everything looks brand new.  It continues to not give any tones or display indications when first turned on after sitting or a day or 2 until I jiggle the coil cable. According to the previous owner he only used it a few hours and never in water.  It looks basically new.  He said it was his first detector so I am wondering if the issues I am experiencing caused him to sell it.  I decided to call Garrett as suggested by Kac and they said it was never registered and it was 2-3 months past its warranty going by the date it was made.  Garrett is sending me a slightly used replacement coil they said was used in some videos at no charge.  Hopefully I will get it this coming week.  I'll keep you posted. 

Thanks again!

• Like 2

Garrett really stepped up to the plate on that issue trying to help you. The good news is that you can get coils from other manufacturers for the AT Pro if you want to.