Old Uniform Button

Not sure the age on this one. Once I washed it up with some baking soda and toothbrush to get the dirt off it has some nice detail still. My cell phone didn't take a very good pick, the front is shiny brass, could be plated but not sure.

IMG_0681.JPG

IMG_0682.JPG

• Like 3

That is a primo button. What an excellent find.

Nice Button Kac...

Merton I tried looking up "Primo Button" but got no hits... :rolleyes:

strick

It's a Massachusetts state seal button. Not sure if these are classified as Mass Volunteer buttons. There are quite a few varieties. Not sure on the dates, but I think some are pre Civil War as well as Civil War. Hopefully someone can help you out better. Possibly could be MS31 in Albert's button book (Record of American Uniform and Historical Buttons)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Company was around from 1802 until 1974 so that narrows it down a century or 2. Found this bit of info: http://www.relicman.com/buttons/Button9901-Backmark-Scovill801.html

Back is steel it looks like front is brass. Photos from my iPhone in garbage lighting so colors are off. Possible it is from Civil War but I'm thinking it might be much later, maybe ww2 since it seems to have more refined details where as the older ones are pretty crude. Just my guess.

Did you consider contacting Harry Ridgeway?  His e-mail address can be found here:

http://www.relicman.com/

About halfway down the page under the heading "Authentication and Analysis" which you should definitely read!   Sounds like he enjoys helping people identify finds.  One interest thing I notice on your piece -- the inclusion of 'CONN'.  That likely dates the pieces manufacture in a certain range.

Great find, BTW!

• Like 1