Civil War Relic Hunting

Got out with the Equinox again to do a little civil War era hunting. I hunted a fort that was occupied from 1851 thru 1862. I dug a lot of trash but I managed to rescue a few keepers.

IMG_20190505_181559186_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190505_181614903_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190505_182412073_HDR.jpg

32847.jpeg

32840.jpeg

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Nice keepers, esp the plate and those buttons.  Lot's of dropped live ammo in that trash...wow

Those are spent blank casings, they used to do reenactments here in the day. They are a major pita ?

2 minutes ago, Dan(NM) said:

Those are spent blank casings, they used to do reenactments here in the day. They are a major pita ?

Ah, I saw the crimps when I zoomed in.  Yeah, that would be fun to deal with, lol.  But hard work did pay off.  Great saves.  Was that a cartridge box plate?

13 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Ah, I saw the crimps when I zoomed in.  Yeah, that would be fun to deal with, lol.  But hard work did pay off.  Great saves.  Was that a cartridge box plate?

Thank you.  I'm a new comer to this type of hunting, so, your guess is as good as mine. Several guys have commented about it being that, I don't have a positive ID yet.

Dan -- TREMENDOUS digs!!! SUPERB!

Steve

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, steveg said:

Dan -- TREMENDOUS digs!!! SUPERB!

Steve

Thank you Steve, I had a great weekend digging.

Dan - if the lead backing on the U.S. plate is intact and there are wire loops, then the plate is a cartridge box (flap) plate.  If the back has a hook and two "puppy paw" feet, then it is a belt plate.  Either way, something I am still trying to scratch off my bucket list, though I did snag an Eagle Breast Plate that fastens to the cartridge box strap at a site last year.  

Also, the Dragoon Eagle (Eagle "D") is very nice but that pre-Civil War Eagle shield button is really interesting.  Can you make out any letter on the shield?  Possible War of 1812 vintage button.  Nice.

15 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Dan - if the lead backing on the U.S. plate is intact and there are wire loops, then the plate is a cartridge box (flap) plate.  If the back has a hook and two "puppy paw" feet, then it is a belt plate.  Either way, something I am still trying to scratch off my bucket list, though I did snag an Eagle Breast Plate that fastens to the cartridge box strap at a site last year.  

Also, the Dragoon Eagle (Eagle "D") is very nice but that pre-Civil War Eagle shield button is really interesting.  Can you make out any letter on the shield?  Possible War of 1812 vintage button.  Nice.

The US oval is extremely thin, no lead backing or signs that is was attached in any way at all. I also dug an Eagle breast plate from this site a couple of months ago. Back in the 80's and 90's a dozen or so belt plates came from this location, I know there's gotta be one more ?

I checked the button up close, nothing on the shield, we've dug buttons from here that go back to the 1820's and 1830's