My Salt Water Report Card!

11 hours ago, phrunt said:

Seeing you're not in favor with the Equinox, what detect are you going to be using now?  I doubt you'll have a hard time selling the Nox so that's a good start ?

I am not totally discounting the Nox, but it will not go to the low trough with me often. I can see it doing well after a large wave event, high wet sand line where I can cover lots of sand. However that is a limited use. 

The EMI is concerning for me. I have talked to many detectorists on this beach every year. One thing never talked about was the EMI over...……..there.  I have never had a conversation about EMI on this beach until now.  I just want some people using the Nox to look closer and do some testing when the waves are moving lots of water. 

Dave

8 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

it is hard to ascertain if the issues you are having stem from inexperince with Equinox after one and a half extended Mexican beach trips or a possible defective machine (the need to use different sensitivities on wet sand vs. in surf is hard to analyze without knowing the specific beach environmental characteristics and yes cell phones are going to be a problem if you are forced to detect when and where the beachgoers are also swarming, something I tend to avoid, but have still not experienced the issues you have even with crowds).

Hi Chase

I was there for over three months and detected 4 days a week for 3-4 hrs a trip. One thing I do like [which is local] The Equinox completely ignores the 1,2 and 5 peso Mexican coins, they ring in at -6 -7. This is an advantage in the wet sand as I can cover much more beach than I would otherwise. This is high season and any given day many hundreds use the beach.  But I really encourage beach hunters with forceful waves to check their targets when water is moving up and down that slope. The amount of targets that disappeared was just short of unbelievable. But just as fast to reappear once the water had drained out. Thanks to all who put tips on here. I can tell from my years behind a detector that the Nox is most likely a beast on land.

Dave

You are going to have to decide if filtering out the nuisance coinage is worth all the other headaches you have articulated. You seem to be really frustrated, annoyed, and disappointed by the Nox ever since the headphone adapter debacle and continuing on through the latest excursion where having to simply adjust sensitivity on the fly drives you nuts.  I say give your blood pressure a break and try another detector that doesn't have a single F on it's report card much less the 3 F's Equinox scored for you.  I wouldn't stand for such poor performance and neither should you.  Dump it, is my advice.  Not a good fit for the one thing you want to use it for.

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

I am not even going to try to give any hints (not being a beach hunter, you have already said you don't want to hear anything I have to say). I am going to make a general statement which is that default Beach 2 is by far the most chatty of the Park, Field and Beach modes in my high EMI detecting areas.

Like Steve and Chase, my remaining productive detecting time due to my age is too short for me to even consider using much less owning a detector that doesn't suit me for the majority of my detecting scenarios. If I can't trust it or if it has as many shortcomings as you have described, it's gone..............

Jeff

• Like 2

Well said Steve.   I’ve been pretty happy with what the machine has put in my treasure chest.   The machine isn’t perfect....but most water machines there are things I’d love to improve.   I’ve never used PPing... I like AM....though I wished it was like the Xcal.    Conditions can make the difference with any machine....I’m in the Gulf and she works good

My spin is this:  with a single frequency machine there's more of a tendency to be noisy in fast salt.  With  the EQ--targets are more in the background.  There's also a "bittyness" to the audio when it's not handling well.  Ive done okay with it in B2  2 tone with the NF tone at 25 and if  its making noise the TB jacked up to above zero.  Also I've been testing an "undertune" prog that keeps the GB way down at -9.  Seems to make targets stand out a little better.  Its no CTX thats for sure.   In ground where a pulse would be noisy no VFL gets off scott free--there's always a price to be paid whether you notice it or not.  Certainly not thrilled about a machine for the water that can't be heard  underwater...  cjc

• Like 1

Clive - can you clarify a couple things - by NF tone at 25, are you talking volume or pitch? And how far above zero are you typically having to set the non-ferrous (NF) tone break (TB) under noisy conditions and what is your "do not go above" max TB setting?

Finally, what were you driving atvwith that last comment (i.e., "can't be heard...").

The EQ can be a chatty machine in the water near hardpan..... better in fluffy sand out there.   If the Box and coil is under water its not EMI as much as the salt/minerals.   The deeper you go the more effect the salt has on the machine.  I also find it a bit irritating that the machine wraps around in the lower gold digits.... rather than the higher digits out of my way.   That means you have to play with 5 tones or 2 tones.... 50 tones seems to work better for me to ID targets from that wrap around falsing.    You can always turn down the GB...... but in hard pan your will really notice a depth difference since the machine is already working with reduced power.    You can also turn up the RS.... but that kind of chops signals... and you still have to reduce sensitivity with to much chatter.   IMO they need to play with the salt balance a bit more.   I agree Clive its not CTX or Xcal in PP mode...... they seem a little more refined out there and can be deeper if you have to do a lot of adjusting to the Nox....... BUT the smaller shallower gold the Nox seems to pick up.

• Like 3

Chase--that's pitch--takes some getting used to but it's the most distinct.  I typically run the TB at around 2 --not really expecting any micro gold well worth the trade off in stability.  Cant be heard underwater--real flaw IMHO---just no volume.  

cjc

On 5/19/2019 at 7:40 AM, dewcon4414 said:

The EQ can be a chatty machine in the water near hardpan..... better in fluffy sand out there.   If the Box and coil is under water its not EMI as much as the salt/minerals.   The deeper you go the more effect the salt has on the machine.  I also find it a bit irritating that the machine wraps around in the lower gold digits.... rather than the higher digits out of my way.   That means you have to play with 5 tones or 2 tones.... 50 tones seems to work better for me to ID targets from that wrap around falsing.    You can always turn down the GB...... but in hard pan your will really notice a depth difference since the machine is already working with reduced power.    You can also turn up the RS.... but that kind of chops signals... and you still have to reduce sensitivity with to much chatter.   IMO they need to play with the salt balance a bit more.   I agree Clive its not CTX or Xcal in PP mode...... they seem a little more refined out there and can be deeper if you have to do a lot of adjusting to the Nox....... BUT the smaller shallower gold the Nox seems to pick up.

Always appreciate hearing your spin on things Dewcon.  It is amazing just how much of this low end wrap this detector has--thats why I have no hesitation in running the TB up a bit to shut it up and reduce these partials.  Amazing that these will not even be iron just seabed.  Some will be way up at 9 that's too high.  Ive been testing an "undertune" (-9) prog that works well at making good responses stand out well.  Chase is right on with suggesting not straying too far from the stock settings especially RS--as you say it either flattens or chops.   Hunted with the EQ as a pro last week and although the coil went  it did quite well.  Taking some early notes for a V3 and realize that V's 1 & 2 did not address these issues nearly well enough.  You really need to have a good grasp of how Sens, GB, RS and Bias interact to get performance from this detector in deep salt water---especially if you want to hear any faint targets  over this "racket".

cjc