My Salt Water Report Card!

Tom D mentioned this as well.  It happened to him on a nickel.   I’ve just not noticed it I guess.   Thou targets do disappear in the hole even in the water.  I can understand the frustration as well....tuff enough digging in the oat meal without having targets disappear OR worse missing one you just didn’t even see.

2 hours ago, midalake said:

My main complaint is: the complete loss of a target when moving water is going by the coil. I had 100's of targets that I found, but when the wave wash was either coming up the beach or down it would not register, not even a tick until the water drained off. I found even 1 inch of moving water was enough to not allow the Nox to sound off on a target that was there, present, verified, and eventually dug out.

I will be working harder when I find these conditions again to see if there is a series of settings that will cut through this. However I will be not back on the machine until July.

One has to understand how frustrating it is to have a target but you have a 15 second to 1minute window to center it dig it and remove it before the next wave is coming at you. Also you could be waiting for minutes just to see wet sand with no water.

Dave - no black sand and you weren't getting the overload symbol right?  In beach 2 the transmit power is lowered and lowered even further in the presence of black sand, but that doesn't seem to be the issue here and your settings seem sound. Hope you can figure it out with some tweaking.

2 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Dave - no black sand and you weren't getting the overload symbol right?  In beach 2 the transmit power is lowered and lowered even further in the presence of black sand, but that doesn't seem to be the issue here and your settings seem sound. Hope you can figure it out with some tweaking.

I would say there is light black sand on this beach. I looked intensely for an overload symbol many times. None. Especially when a wave would first hit me.  Dave

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I did a little concentrated hunting in the wash yesterday just to see.   We dont have much mineralization here....... but i kind of get it.   In the wash the sand has a lot more air gap especially as the water moves in and out..... making the sand of course soft/fluffy.    Black sand and iron tend to concentrate there as well.   This machine seems to be sensitive to really light up those minerals/iron in that area as they MOVE with the water.   So i can see how targets might just disappear as the coil is overwhelmed with the sand AND salt water.   Much like targets that disappear in the hole.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2019 at 7:40 AM, dewcon4414 said:

I also find it a bit irritating that the machine wraps around in the lower gold digits.... rather than the higher digits out of my way.   That means you have to play with 5 tones or 2 tones.... 50 tones seems to work better for me to ID targets from that wrap around falsing.

Can you explain this more. Over my head. 

Have you ever dealt with hot rocks/big iron?   Most detectors if you run to much sensitivity will pick those up near the surface because of minerals/iron/rust in them.   Try putting the targets from - to + in a circle......there is a point where targets go from say - (iron) to + (large can).  If you have a rusty large piece of iron or hot rock.... they tend to JUMP into that very high digital range..... which is  called wrap around (going from - to a + digit).   Most detectors do it ...... but the Nox tends to do it jumping in the LOW positive end as opposed to the high.  The Nox tends to pick up a lot of surface minerals.... mostly bits of iron/black sand/hot rocks causing falsing in the  say +2 to +6 digit range.   IF you set that second bin wrong... you are going to waste a lot more time checking false signals because you have but one tone giving your information.... a dig it all tone.   50 tones can spread out those tones giving you a little more information.   Hopefully i explained that somewhat right lol.

• Like 1

I get what you mean now that you explained it in a situation where you got the machine running too hot. That and I can imagine how 5 or 2 tones would make this really frustrating. I’ve been 50 tones since the start. Only had the machine about a month so not a ton of time with it yet. Thanks! 

On 6/9/2019 at 1:58 PM, midalake said:

I would say there is light black sand on this beach. I looked intensely for an overload symbol many times. None. Especially when a wave would first hit me.  Dave

Hey midalake,

Ever since your thread I have been watching for what you described in all the beach hunting videos I've watched (I have lots of dead time at work and live nowhere near saltwater).  What your experiencing has to be site specific or a flaw in your particular nox. It is easy to see in lots of videos that the target doesn't fade out with the wave action.  I'd try in a few other places and if you still experience the same take video of the problem and get ahold of minelab. 

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 8:11 AM, dewcon4414 said:

I did a little concentrated hunting in the wash yesterday just to see.   We dont have much mineralization here....... but i kind of get it.   In the wash the sand has a lot more air gap especially as the water moves in and out..... making the sand of course soft/fluffy.    Black sand and iron tend to concentrate there as well.   This machine seems to be sensitive to really light up those minerals/iron in that area as they MOVE with the water.   So i can see how targets might just disappear as the coil is overwhelmed with the sand AND salt water.   Much like targets that disappear in the hole.

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 12:45 PM, Chase Goldman said:

Well yesterday was the day I had been waiting for in a long time. I have a friend who has a Nox 800 and is very accomplished on land with it. In fact if most of you were to see his colonial silver finds with the Nox you would pass out. 

YESTERDAY, started working with my machine for the first hour and a half, same issues in moving salt water as normal. Unhooked my machine and plugged his into my phones and the next hour and a half was exactly like my machine. Zero difference in depth, sounds, target ID issues, recovery, lost targets in moving salt water. I also did testing with different recovery speeds and IB, as compared to sensitivity. Worked tracking GB as well as fixed 0 GB. Standing by all of my original reporting and just stating that there are issues with the Nox in moving salt water.
I want to give thanks to cjc with help and some special setting that might work. 

Dave

Man, you broke someone else’s detector, too, Dave? :laugh:

Seriously, though, glad the broken detector theory is put  to bed.

So I guess it’s the phones...:rolleyes:

If you get some combination of Clive’s settings to work better please post specifics of your best setup for the benefit of others who might be in the same situation.

• Like 1