9 hours ago, Mike C... said:

p04dqdgr.jpg.b3efcd245d9f11d7bfda2283d640cf53.jpgNice V gold-can you say chupacabra ? Mike C...:ph34r:

Stop it, Mike!  You are scaring me.  ?

It is funny how the mind plays with you for a while when you first get out there.  I have a 9mm that I wear that makes me feel a little warmer inside.  And when I have forgotten it, I keep my pick extra handy.  But I think if a mountain lion or chupacabra went after me, I wouldn't have much time to shoot.  I'd probably shoot myself trying to get the jaws off my neck.  LOL.

Thanks for the comment!

• Like 1

Very nice piece Andyy.  I often go out early in the morning over here, it’s amazing how much quieter the ground is.  I think it’s a mixture of two things, less EMI and the ground seems to degauze (not sure that’s a real word) overnight and reenergise gradually during the day from the sun.

I have a mate who loves detecting straight after lightning storms, he reckons that also seems to degauze the ground and make really hot ground quieter.

• Like 2

When I was in the oilfield I remember we often had to monitor solar activity and geomagnetic storms. Our MWD tools were sensitive to them, even downhole, the magnetometers would get skewed. It would alter the declination readings, which if I'm remembering correctly means that the local magnetic field of the Earth itself was slightly altered there too.

It may be possible scientifically for the sun to have some effect on detectors too when the sun is out vs sun down, by the same token. Certainly less EMI too.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2019 at 6:30 PM, geof_junk said:

Midnight Gold is a term meaning claim jumping here in Australia, the haul you got is great mate.:nugget:

Hi mate. Not necessarily. Has two meanings here in Australia. Yes the one you said but also for us from the VLF days it was common for us to go out on moonlit nights when the ground was, especially in hot areas, cooler and quieter because of that fact. It was common to do so in WA and in other states in the Summer. In the bush, not going where we shouldn't, but just because the ground was quieter and just too hot in the day. Moonlight detecting. Also at night industry and many common daytime comunications cease causing less interference as well as the all too common these days with PI machines Solar interference. Very quiet at night mate. Originally thats what it meant, and still does. But yes, there are the unscrupulous that go out and detect where they shouldn't at night.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, kiwijw said:

My exact reasons for loving night detecting when I ran PI's. I just found out by experience over time the benefits, no one told me. I just "worked" it out as I found the detectors just ran way smoother at night. It is not often I come across someone who mentions solar influence, but it is a fact. So thanks Busho. I usually timed it with a coming full moon. You could get in quite a few nights before, during & after the full moon. That way I only used a head lamp when digging & retrieving a target.

Good luck out there

JW ?

Yes, less EMI was an unexpected plus.  I make sure to noise cancel every hour because my GPZ gets significantly quieter over time.  As for full moon, it does help, but I have a couple different lamps that I bring with me.  One is a Predator and I can't remember the name of my other.  I will check when I get home.  Both are adjustable and can get very bright.  The benefit of the Predator lamp is that you have the Red or Green LED option, on top of the standard white.  The colored lights also will not be seen by animals, sometimes, which is why hunters use them.  The colored lamps aren't as noticeable by people as the white lamps either.  And while I do not claim jump, I like being discreet.  And if you like to see what is watching you, you simply holler out loud and scan with your light.  You *will* see eyes within 500 feet of you and realize you are never alone.  Just before finding the gold, I had run across a raccoon and a grey fox.  You just won't see these during the day..  Also, certain times of the year, the colored lights helps with bugs.  My only complaint is with the red light.   Sometimes they kind of bother your eyes, where-as the green just gets seen as white, eventually.

• Like 1