Park 1 Vs Field 1

9 hours ago, Rich (Utah) said:

Chase,

I'm thinking the next time I'm out and have some marginal targets, I need to take the time to test both methods and see if one of them provide better audio and visual ID's.

And apologies to everybody that WAS following this thread for hanging a hard left .   

Rich -

Would be interested in hearing your results.  When I do get a chance to detect, I am usually on the clock for those precious few hours I have and want to make the most of my time detecting rather than testing, but might try to force myself to take the time to do some testing myself.  However, with respect to the GB thing, I am pretty sure that doing a GB to start is probably better or at least no worse than just leaving it at the default so there is not a lot of impetus for me to go prove that to myself.  Wouldn't mind being proven wrong because at least that means I learned something new and that is something this hobby keeps reminding me - you never know as much as you think you do.

My take on the GB issue is simple.  Test it for yourself and go with whichever gives you the best results.  I have areas of mild ground and areas with severe ground. In every place I have tested the "leave it at 0 vs ground balance" on actual targets, it has widely favored ground balancing.  Your area may be different.  It's a simple test to do and a setting to change back to.  In my opinion,  that is better than just relying on what you read or what others have said.  If I took to heart what people say on the internet forums, then validated 12" Fisher CZ machines and only Ireland made FBS machines can find silver coins. And or, a Tesoro Mojave can do everything these other machines can do.  And if you go by what is said on YouTube channels and social media...the Garrett AT Series is the pinnacle detector series of the world.  

I know all that to be hog wash...but point being, test it out for yourself.  I've had an Equinox since April/May last year and it gets the most use of any of my machines.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, scott said:

should you use the horse shoe button when finding a clean spot to ground balance?

I think you just need to find a clean spot using the pinpoint option.

Rich, Chase, 

thanks a lot for the discussion. LOTS of useful information. At the end of the day everyone can draw conclusions from it. I tend to go back and forth: sometimes I perform GB, sometimes not. Most of the time I just leave it at 0 since that is what Minelab suggests for the modes I use. Unfortunately, as you both pointed out, Minelab is not telling at what point GB should be performed. So maybe GB should be performed "just in case" everytime ? I guess I am running in circles as well when it comes to this ?

• Like 1