phrunt

How Do You Store Your Detectors?

I've been storing my detectors on a couch in a spare room for the past year and a bit, my wife finally cracked it and said I have to do something, they're not staying on the couch anymore. She even wanted me to get rid of some of them saying you don't use that one, that one, that one.... eeeeeekkkkkkkk!

So I became a man on a mission to save my detectors, KiwiJW had obviously been through the same thing at some point in time as he has a nice neat rack to put his on, I took a photo of it and showed my wife to get her approval of this being a suitable solution to save my detectors.

IMG_20190504_091838.thumb.jpg.31d6e05d3d5a414648b55eb93e6a46c2.jpg

This is a portion of JW's rack

She liked it and I got the go-ahead to try make one, I'm no handy man but I gave it a shot

IMG_20190507_112713.thumb.jpg.d2b1baf25ff13dbf1e877c27b6b89d0e.jpg

Joint two bit's of timber I had laying around together to get good thickness and to have a nice smooth front on it and drilled the holes, trying to get them all the exact same angle.

IMG_20190507_132512.thumb.jpg.6f4309030a3bf7e4b315c5a9f250aab9.jpg

I spaced them differently to fit the different detectors and coils they usually have on them

IMG_20190507_201854.thumb.jpg.0acbeb3912b19197051870f1476929d1.jpg

Gave it a lick of paint inside as it was cold outside, it'd never dry ?

IMG_20190507_211324.jpg.9d6d651584d97784e3d1ed30c7e93358.jpg

And the finished product, the only problem is....... it wouldn't fit all my detectors

IMG_20190507_211505.thumb.jpg.33b438bdf6f6dcaa593ab0371c952215.jpg

I still have three homeless ones, and one of which is my most important one.  I'll have to work out a home for them quick smart.  Don't laugh at my little radio shack orange detector, I've had it since I was a kid!

Now I have to find a way to store my coils too!

• Like 8

Me too got too many........well done will do a similar stand one day........

RR

• Like 1

Nice job!  Got thinking, if you sold all those you would have enough probably for a Zed! :biggrin:

• Like 1

I could never do that to my detectors, who knows what sort of home they'd go to, what life they'd lead... I'd rather sell a kidney.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I could never do that to my detectors, who knows what sort of home they'd go to, what life they'd lead... I'd rather sell a kidney.

I understand :biggrin:

I used to be, and in some aspects still am, like that.  As others, I think I have a detector addiction vs gold fever.  I like the tech and how it works, but after a few years I realized I can't swing them all and had to focus on what I would use the most.  I sold almost all my toys to get a Zed and never looked back (and I mean I sold everything, plus it was quite liberating to clean out the house).  Now I am down to four:  The Zed for the serious work.  The Excal for the water/beach.  The EQ for everything else.  I always say I'm gonna use it for gold but never do, I always say I'm gonna go to the park but instead I go to the woods for gold, not even sure why I still keep it.  (Detector addiction :biggrin:)  I still have an SDC2300, and I actually want to sell that one, but my fiancé likes using it when she goes with me, so it is her's now, plus it makes a good 8" stream detector (which the EQ would probably be better for).  Damn...... wonder if I should sell my EQ :biggrin: (Oh wait, the fiancé uses that on the beach too :laugh:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good solution phrunt, good woodworking skills. I'm lucky, I have two spare bedrooms I store my 4 detectors in and all my equipment, I have lots of that. I know where your coming from don't want to give up anything I have, hope you find a good solution to your storage problem.  

• Thanks 1

Simon - you have a nice work and order out of your detector ... One of the things that I can give you is to make the side of the cabinet 2 short rails - create a storage space in the shape of U ..- store all your detectors ..
  I've been thinking about it lately because of the number of my detectors and coils ... it's pretty big.

Coils  - for  winter storage....

December 1 Iphone 5S 2018 032.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Oh my! 1

5 hours ago, phrunt said:

I've been storing my detectors on a couch in a spare room for the past year and a bit, my wife finally cracked it and said I have to do something, they're not staying on the couch anymore. She even wanted me to get rid of some of them saying you don't use that one, that one, that one.... eeeeeekkkkkkkk!

So I became a man on a mission to save my detectors, KiwiJW had obviously been through the same thing at some point in time as he has a nice neat rack to put his on, I took a photo of it and showed me wife to get her approval of this being a suitable solution to save my detectors.

IMG_20190504_091838.thumb.jpg.31d6e05d3d5a414648b55eb93e6a46c2.jpg

This is a portion of JW's rack

She liked it and I got the go-ahead to try make one, I'm no handy man but I gave it a shot

IMG_20190507_112713.thumb.jpg.d2b1baf25ff13dbf1e877c27b6b89d0e.jpg

Joint two bit's of timber I had laying around together to get good thickness and to have a nice smooth front on it and drilled the holes, trying to get them all the exact same angle.

IMG_20190507_132512.thumb.jpg.6f4309030a3bf7e4b315c5a9f250aab9.jpg

I spaced them differently to fit the different detectors and coils they usually have on them

IMG_20190507_201854.thumb.jpg.0acbeb3912b19197051870f1476929d1.jpg

Gave it a lick of paint inside as it was cold outside, it'd never dry ?

IMG_20190507_211324.jpg.9d6d651584d97784e3d1ed30c7e93358.jpg

And the finished product, the only problem is....... it wouldn't fit all my detectors

IMG_20190507_211505.thumb.jpg.33b438bdf6f6dcaa593ab0371c952215.jpg

I still have three homeless ones, and one of which is my most important one.  I'll have to work out a home for them quick smart.  Don't laugh at my little radio shack orange detector, I've had it since I was a kid!

Now I have to find a way to store my coils too!

You still have both sides of that closet to put a mini strip on each side (fitting one or 2 machines on each side.)

Never mind EL NINO77 beat me to it LOL. But it must be a good idea.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, phrunt said:

KiwiJW had obviously been through the same thing

No, I just wanted law & order & to protect them. Instead of having them lying around & potentially getting damaged & also a lot easier to just grab one & go. You haven't seen up in my attic space:rolleyes: You have seen the pile of some of my coils. Added another one today on top of the three latest X coils.:biggrin: 10" elliptical for the GB2, as I only had the little sniper coil. Addiction....what addiction. Who needs drugs.

By the way....there is a patent on that rack. :laugh:

Good luck out there

JW ? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I am a bit more slack about it then you guys i have a room for toys ,detectors, skis, snow boards and fishing poles on the walls, the mostly unused detectors are the in the closet.

IMG_4282.JPG

• Like 2