Rechargeable Aa 1.5v Batteries

On 5/8/2019 at 1:33 PM, kac said:

I recently purchased these

Blackube AA Rechargeable Batteries Lithium 1500mAh Double A Battery with Micro USB Charge - 1.5Hours Charging -1.5V/2250mWh - 4Pack

They are the proper 1.5 volt and lithium batteries. They work well in my Tesoro that tends to chew up batteries fairly quickly. Will see how they hold up. They should not fade in performance as regular Alkalines do.

$20 for 4 is pretty good. Much less than the $80 I paid for my AT Pro lithium pack.

Just checking in on how these are working for you? Just saw a sale for very similar 4 pack at 2300mAh for $15. If they can maintain 1.5v output sounds like a great way to go. Should be a lot better and a lot cheaper than running AA's in the long run. Curious, what sort of time do the TDI SL users get using alkaline AA batteries before the voltage drops significantly? If these don't drop off too quickly should give 4-5 hours (duracell AA are rated at 1050mAh at 0.5A load)

https://www.18650batterystore.com/products/epoch-aa-usb-4pack

• Like 1

So far all the ones I have purchased have more than paid themselves off. I am averaging more than 1 1/2x the power life per charge vs alkalines.

Did come across another brand that has an actual charger called AmpTorrent and have the 3000mAh. They seem to last bit longer but for similar price I find the actual charger easier and it too has a usb plug. I think most of them are pretty much the same.

You guys need to pay close attention to the specs of these cells, with regards to mAh and mWh... milliamp-hour and milliwatt-hour.
mWh = mAh x cell voltage ( 1.5V here )
So those 'Blackube' cells described as 2250 mWh are actually 1500 mAh, nothing too special, though clearly the cell is only two-thirds 'full', as there's a USB port on the side.
Likewise, those 'AmpTorrent' cells are 3000 mWh , equivalent to 2000 mAh, which is quite respectable. This is because the cell occupies nearly all the space in the package, perhaps just 1mm at the end for the regulator electronics board. The special charger makes direct contact with the 3.6V cell, usually there's an exposed ring of metal around the positive pip.

The lithium cells the AmpTorrent ( and probably the KentLi type, and others ) are based around are known as 14500 size, basically AA, with no pip. The best of these come in at about 900 mAh, maybe 1000 mAh, working out as 3300 mWh. With the 1.5V regulator circuit, they end up producing 2000 mAh at 1.5V.

• Like 4

So even on the lower end do they last longer by 1 1/2x because they don't fade power like an alkaline?

Amp Torent ones do last longer from my xp with the 2 brands but think its because what PimentoUK said. Makes sense.

"Do they last longer by 1 1/2 times because they don't fade power like an alkaline cell?"

Basically, yes. The currents mentioned earlier of 0.5 Amps are pretty hard for little AA cells, especially continuously, so alkaline's don't give anywhere near their full capacity. I recall they're typically 2500 mAh at modest discharge rates ( 10 + hours ). Whereas rechargeable AA's, regardless of whether they're NiCad, MiMH, Li-Ion, all have very low internal resistance , and can put out modestly high currents with minimal fading, until they finally go flat, quickly.

For interest, here's a disassembly of the 'KentLi' version of these '1.5V' types, showing that it's a cylindrical 'foil-pouch' cell, slightly smaller than the AA package it fits in:

http://dangerousprototypes.com/blog/2014/12/23/teardown-of-kentli-ph5-1-5-v-li-ion-aa-battery/

Foil-pouch cells can easily be made in any size, so odd under-length variants, and uncommon diameters are all possible. It's possible the Blackube cells use this type of internals, as the have a nonstandard short length cell internally.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2019 at 1:31 AM, kac said:

Now if they made 9 volts that would be cool.

Hi kac. There are a few Li-Ion available with micro usb port.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=9v+rechargeable+batteries+micro+usb&__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=QY7E2EXF7EOA&sprefix=9v+rechargeable+batteries%2Caps%2C333&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-a-p_2_25

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, locator said:

Hi kac. There are a few Li-Ion available with micro usb port.

Ya bunch of different brands out, I actually like the ones with the charger rather than the micro usb, just easier to pop them in than to fiddle with little ports. Think they run similar in price. Overall I think they are just better than alkalines in general.

On 5/8/2019 at 10:33 PM, kac said:

I recently purchased these

Blackube AA Rechargeable Batteries Lithium 1500mAh Double A Battery with Micro USB Charge - 1.5Hours Charging -1.5V/2250mWh - 4Pack

Hi ,

What is your blackube battery weight ? 

I plan to use them for my Vanquish. For info I currently use non rechargeable lithium 3000mAh batteries ( 15grams ) , instead of the stock 2500 mAh nimh batteries ( 28grams )

thanks ...

Blackube 2250 mHa 17 grams. I can be a dink and tell you they weight the same when fully charged LOL

The Torents weight 20 grams

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/30/2021 at 9:44 PM, kac said:

Blackube 2250 mHa 17 grams. I can be a dink and tell you they weight the same when fully charged LOL

The Torents weight 20 grams

I have ordered the Blackubes on amazon , I will receive them in a few days . Mine are 2775mWH  --> 1850mAh . Expected run time on my Vanquish : 7 hours .

7 hours is enough for me , I will recharge them after each outing 

• Like 1