Rechargeable Aa 1.5v Batteries

You should get more than 7 hours with those, on average you get 1 1/2x the run time over a standard Alkaline. At least that is how they work out on all my machines I use them on.

You do need to sort of keep track because battery indicators are no longer accurate because the LiPo will run at nearly full charge the drop off fast. If I see my indicator down 1 or 2 blocks I recharge them.

• Like 1

I have just received from Amazon my 4 rechargeable AA Backubes that I will use for my 540

1,5V regulated , 1850mAh capacity which is less than the stock ML NimH  (2500mAh) but still ok for me.

Weight 18grams , much lighter than the ML Nimh ( 28grams ).

Nice product , my rating 8/10 .  I have just to test them on the field but I am sure that they will do the job ... 🙂

DSC02546.JPG

DSC02547.JPG

DSC02552.JPG

DSC02553.JPG

• Like 5

• 5 months later...

To you users of these regulated-buck-booster lithium AA batteries, are these still holding up well? Also, have any of you experienced EMI from these cells?

I just bought a pack of Tenavolts, which are very similar (at least in concept) to the AmpTorrent cells mentioned earlier.

I normally use NiMH cells for almost everything, but some of my son's motorized toys are REALLY sensitive to the lower voltage of nickel-based batteries.

Anyways, while running his toy R/C car that use 3 AA cells, I noticed a drop in effective range when it got too far away (which was basically 20-30 feel away). I know some users of the Tenavolts say these won't work in some radios due to the RF interference.

Given their weight difference, I thought the Tenavolt cells would be a gready addition to my AT Max. But b/c of the AT Max's propensity to suck up EMI, I wonder if that's a good idea. 

I have a Fisher F-Pulse on the way. I may try using the Tenavolts in there first. Pulse induction is suppose to be more resistant to EMI compared to VLF? Or is that not true at all?

In case you're wondering, my voltage booster in my Garrett Carrot doesn't produce any noticeable interference or change in performance compared to a regular alkaline 9V battery.

1 hour ago, mh9162013 said:

To you users of these regulated-buck-booster lithium AA batteries, are these still holding up well? Also, have any of you experienced EMI from these cells?

I have used the Blackubes a few hours in my Vanquish 540 . I had sometimes pbs to insert the usb connectors in the batteries . As I now use an Apex with an integrated lithium battery I cant really answer to the question sorry ..

• Like 1

Tenavolts update:

Using Duracell alkaline cells, I turned on my AT Max in my kitchen. It was in Zero mode and got no audible interference up to 3 (out of 8 ) sensitivity. But when going to sensitivity settings 4-8, all I got was this steady loud noise. This isn't surprising. These results were the same regardless of which of the 4 channels I was on.

I repeated the same experiment in my kitchen, but using Tenavolt cells. The results were identical, except:

With the Duracell alkalines, the Target ID Cursor (the little black dot that moves back and forth along the VDI spectrum depending on the type of signal detected) would randomly move back and forth, but mostly around VDI numbers of 20 and 60.

With Tenavolts, the Target ID Cursor would mostly move back and forth along the VDI spectrum from from numbers 60 and 80.

The Target ID Cursor observations were only present when on 7 or 8 sensitivity. This applies for both Duracell alkaline cells and the Tenvolts.

So it appears the Tenavolts are having some effect on the AT Max. I don't know if it will have any practical implications, but something to consider for those using Lithium cells with built in electronics.

• Like 1

I still have the original set of black ubes I use in my Tejon have many recharges and they still work as good as new. I also have a set in my external battery pack for mu Kruzer and have used them in my Seahunter. I have not had any EMI issues.

When you did your test did you try it outside in the field? Indoors EMI is a much bigger problem as you have wires, pipes, wifi etc all running in a small area. Could be just a coincidence. Not sure how a set of batteries would have any EMI especially when they are in a battery pack but anything is possible.

On my AT Pro I have the RTG pack and that still works very good even after a few years. That same RTG pack is compatible with the AT Max but it is a bit pricey.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kac said:

I still have the original set of black ubes I use in my Tejon have many recharges and they still work as good as new. I also have a set in my external battery pack for mu Kruzer and have used them in my Seahunter. I have not had any EMI issues.

When you did your test did you try it outside in the field? Indoors EMI is a much bigger problem as you have wires, pipes, wifi etc all running in a small area. Could be just a coincidence. Not sure how a set of batteries would have any EMI especially when they are in a battery pack but anything is possible.

On my AT Pro I have the RTG pack and that still works very good even after a few years. That same RTG pack is compatible with the AT Max but it is a bit pricey.

I did my testing in my kitchen. I know EMI is more of an issue inside than outside (usually), but I wanted more consistency to determine if the Tenavolts were producing noticeable interference to the AT Max and I felt doing a test inside would be more likely to provide that consistency.

You're right, my results could be a coincidence. But others have observed EMI from the Tenavolt cells and how they've experienced interference with their radios (not sure what kind). So given how chatty the AT Max is, I'm not surprised that using the Tenavolts produced noticeable EMI.

RTG pack? Do you mean an RnB pack? I've heard good things about it, but I won't buy that pack out of principle.

Some charging circuits can produce HF interference. So checking is good , then you'll know .

Edit: Thought about this more today..

Plus there must be a BMS in each one , could be a "symphony" of EMI ?

Possibly different amounts between brands too.

Or nothing at all ?

On 7/13/2021 at 7:54 AM, mh9162013 said:

Or is that not true at all?

Not true.  It is less susceptible to ground noise (not EMI) because it can ignore the instantenous ground inductance because it is only looking for the return signal delay from the target.  That's being said, I am not sure how the F pulse will respond to these types of "active" cells.  BTW I don't think the internal electronics pack is doing any sort of buck-boost output regulation except perhaps when charging in which case there may be input voltage regulation.  The flat to rapid drop off of terminal voltage is simply a characteristic of LiIon battery technology.  That being said, the internal active powered smart chip electronics can still cause EMI with the charger disconnected due to its microprocessor that is monitoring temp, voltage and current during discharge so that it can provide active open circuit protection from thermal runaway if these parameters exceed their safe operating envelope setpoints.

• Like 3