Which P. I.?

Guest AussieDigs

Ive used every single detector mentioned on this thread, for ease of use the 2300 is best. Best value for $$: QED (but more self training is needed to get the best out of it) and the 4500/5000 is of course a great option. For the QED and GPX, use spiral wound coils only, otherwise you're flogging the same depth capabilities of everyone else for the past 10 years. The QED is a killer with the small 9" coiltek elite and any big coil when adjusted to a wider pulse train and coil match.

• Like 1

Guest AussieDigs

Thanks Aureous, great input.

The QED is proving to be a difficult one. The Experienced are divided on this one with a few not liking it. How would the likes of me, a beginner fair? Thats the quandary for me with the QED. Hopefully NE will be able to shed some light after the meetup with Reg.

Guest AussieDigs

I wasn’t suggesting Reg would be anything but straight up.

If experienced operators are having difficulty, it can suggest a beginner like me could have enough difficulty to not warrant the purchase of the QED. It is difficult for someone like me who is new to detecting to make a decision on the QED with so many fors and against. Trying to seperate the ‘wheat’ from the ‘chaff’.

For what it’s worth I think the Minelab GPX 4500 does represent the best “value proposition” going in a prospecting PI at this time. I nominate it as the “Gold Bug Pro” of the PI world, proven safe and reliable, fabulous coil selection, great price.

If it was me I would probably spend the extra on a GPX 5000 just to have the “Fine Gold” setting which the 4500 lacks. That’s a big premium for one setting but “Fine Gold” shuts up hot rocks better than anything I have ever used.

If a person is not going to get into hot rocks severe enough to require the Fine Gold setting then the 4500 is an obvious winner.

• Like 3

Guest AussieDigs

“Gold Bug Pro of the PI world”. 

”fine gold setting” Two detectors in one!

Brilliant Steve. 

Yes, the QED is more of a task to get running well if you're used to Minelab PI's....if its all green pasture to you, with zero PI experience, the QED will suffice nicely. Get some in field training with Reg or Stinky Pete and you'll find its a great unit at a great price. But get some flat-wound mono coils to run on it, the 9" Elite and 14x9 Evo worked great on mine.

Guest AussieDigs

Having a Gold Bug Pro and researching what the ins and outs of proper setup and use for the last month and beyond should hold me in a better steed for when im ready to purchase the QED and a catchup with Reg.