Which P. I.?

Guest AussieDigs

Guest AussieDigs

Gold Bug Pro of the PI world?

uncomplicated, not ridiculously expensive, excellent performance!

Which unit would it be?

Uncomplicated = SDC 2300

Not ridiculously expensive = QED. 

Excellent performance = GPX 5000

Hope that clears things up for you  ?

Guest AussieDigs

Noooo Northeast, one unit that fits all criteria, lol!

so the GPX 5k would perform better than the QED? Just as complicated?

On 5/9/2019 at 2:43 AM, AussieDigs said:

so the GPX 5k would perform better than the QED?

JR and Reg are probably the best people to answer this.  I have never used a GPX so hard to provide a comparison but I can only assume that a more complex, more expensive and much raved about GPX 5000 would have the edge with regard to raw performance.   

The QED is not ridiculously expensive, it's light, good range of coils are able to be used, etc, etc.  

Uncomplicated.  I think the QED is actually quite easy to use if you stick at the Default settings.  There are a couple of things I have struggled with but I also think I am trying to squeeze too much of it.  I think I've got ground balance under control now.  A really nice, steady threshold and being able to increase Gain are perhaps the final jigsaw pieces I'm trying to find.  Yet, I did find my first piece of gold with it today (teeeeeeeeeny tiny!).  

Excellent performance?  - well it is better than any other PI that I currently have  ?  The piece I found today was extremely small but shallow - using the 11" Detech Ultra Sensing today.  I have found deeper targets with the 11" and I have found deepish targets with the 20" NF coil.  

Later this month I am spending 5 days in the GT and plan on spending some time with Mitchell and hoping to catch up with Reg and a few from PA forum.  In that 5 days I will hopefully find the missing threshold/gain jigsaw piece and really get to know just what it can do re: performance.  

Guest AussieDigs

The QED isnt sounding uncomplicated!

A little time with Reg will be a good thing.

Mate, if indications from past and present hadnt given the thought that the QED was a tad difficult to master, the reason for my post wouldnt be necessary.

Cheers mate.

Guest AussieDigs

Just read this thread with the enquiry being between the SDC2300 and the GPX4500.

I am after depth, size and to cover a large area. Would it be fair to assume a decent VLF in the lower freq could prevent the need for the likes of the SDC? Something like a combo of the likes of the Gold Bug Pro/Fors Core-Gold and the GPX4500? Ok the GPX is more complicated but it has been suggested it can be conquered. Playing with the Bug Pro is teaching me plenty albeit with alot more to learn.

SDC V's a GPX of any model I would choose the GPX every time purely due to its versatility.  Tiny coils, massive coils, DD coils, etc, etc.  With the SDC you are quite limited even with the new coils that have come out.  And then there are the different timings on the GPX too.  

A 4500 matched with a higher frequency VLF like the GB2 or a Gold Monster or an Equinox 800 and you wouldn't be leaving much gold behind.  

Someone else will be able to give you the answer to this question but I am thinking the SDC will find gold smaller than what the VLF detectors around the 20KhZ range will find??  That is the only reason I am suggesting a higher KhZ VLF unit.  (Although, since you already have the GB2 it is probably good enough).  

Cheers, NE.

• Like 1

Guest AussieDigs

Thanks guys, doing more reading this morning has made things a little clearer.

Yes im reading the likes of the 4500 can be more versatile and get close to the SDC with the right coil.

For what im thinking i want to do with a PI, this sounds like its more suited. Not only being new to detectors but new to where to find gold, Im considered going beyond worked over ground but working between leads and reefs etc. whether that is worth doing im not absolutely sure but also beyond the fringes of worked areas so something that can punch deeper than the likes of of a VLF and a SDC.

The 5000 and definitely the GPZ is out of my budget range. The likes of a used 4500 used in the manner Simon described sounds very feasible or can the QED be used in the same manner, ie run at the basic settings in the interim? Is the likes of the QED only a difficult machine to master for the experienced trying to get the most out of it? Like trying to get another 5-10% potential from the base settings?

cheers for the responses guys.

Al.

Guest AussieDigs

NE, initially for me it was difficult to choose between the high and low frequency VLF so due to our heavily mineralised ground against hence why i went with the 19khz!