Beach Hunts Are Coming To An End

My beach detecting season is coming to a close, so I took the opportunity to get in another hunt. I am still recovering from a cold, but decided I wanted to get in a hunt anyways.  Besides, I got a couple of new coils to try out and couldn’t resist. First was the Equinox with the 15” coil. I wanted to return to a spot that I found those rings last week. Unfortunately, the area was mostly sanded in and the tide was relentless. First off, the arm cuff finally completed it breakage. The stand part broke off weeks earlier and now the arm cuff snapped. Why anyone would use PC instead of ABS for their material is beyond me. But I did get a chance to try it out for a while before it snapped. First impression is that coil did not like the sand at this beach. Reminded me of the CTX in that purple/black sand. I got a very iffy target that jumped to the 30’s every other sweep. So, I did a lot of iron bias/recovery speed adjustments as well as adjusting the sensitivity down as well as up. Tried beach 1 and 2. Quarter was 4” down and I couldn’t believe how poorly the signal was received. This was dry sand area. So, I will test it another day at another beach. I’m sure it’s a great coil, so I’m still looking forward to hitting the fields with it. Now, the 8x16” coil for the GPX was just what I expected it to be. Solid, deep and a tad bit heavy, but a perfect size for deep beach hunting. Not a lot of coins found, probably the lowest coin total for this year. A did stumble onto a  planted beach hunt V nickel that looks like it has been there for a couple of years. Nicer finds included a couple of probable silver earrings, a stainless steel (unfortunately) ring and a nice gold hoop. It has extremely tiny hallmarks and an off-center stamp which probably reads 500 (12K). I can see the 00, so I’m assuming it says 500. Not the best hunt in the world considering the drive down. Always nice to see the sun out and do what I love to do best.

DSC00002.JPG

DSC00003.JPG

DSC00004.JPG

DSC00005.JPG

DSC00006.JPG

• Like 4

Beaches here are bit depleted, waiting for the to refil from the eager crowds this summer. What detector was that arm cuff from? Personally if I were to make one I would use 66 nylon as that would be nearly indestructible. ABS will degrade under UV light and doesn't handle bitter cold weather very well in comparison. I recently snagged the SeaHunter just for beach hunting even though the discrim pretty useless the trash I have come across wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Depth on the little stock coil blows me away. I thought hot rocks would also be an issue and I can barely pick them up so very very pleased with the purchase. Should provide some good bang for the buck. Detection on the sides of the coil took me a little to get used to where a vlf is in the center but I found it actually easy to determine target sizes as I can go around the target helping me separate pocket change from cachet's of natty lites.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kac said:

Beaches here are bit depleted, waiting for the to refil from the eager crowds this summer. What detector was that arm cuff from? Personally if I were to make one I would use 66 nylon as that would be nearly indestructible. ABS will degrade under UV light and doesn't handle bitter cold weather very well in comparison. I recently snagged the SeaHunter just for beach hunting even though the discrim pretty useless the trash I have come across wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Depth on the little stock coil blows me away. I thought hot rocks would also be an issue and I can barely pick them up so very very pleased with the purchase. Should provide some good bang for the buck. Detection on the sides of the coil took me a little to get used to where a vlf is in the center but I found it actually easy to determine target sizes as I can go around the target helping me separate pocket change from cachet's of natty lites.

The arm cuff was on the Equinox. The GPX I'm using is generally indestructible compared to the Equinox. I agree the beaches are stripped clean of most targets to 10". I'm generally after the deeper 10-18" ones that everyone misses. For me hot rocks are not much of a problem on the PI's but very popular on the Equinox multi frequency. Them black rocks hit hard on the Equinox. Good luck with the Sea Hunter.

Ya hot rocks are killers on vlf's

That cuff should be cheap enough to replace, just never seen one break before. Wonder if the screw was over torqued and crushed the plastic?

32 minutes ago, kac said:

Ya hot rocks are killers on vlf's

That cuff should be cheap enough to replace, just never seen one break before. Wonder if the screw was over torqued and crushed the plastic?

The cuff should be covered under warrantee, but it will be the same cuff (material wise) that broke. I have heard of others that have had the same issues. It is one of those problems on this machine that will never be acknowledged directly by a manufacturer. Too bad there are no recalls for detectors like there are in cars.  

If they just send you the part and have you do the install, maybe putting a rubber washer then a steel washer on top would give it just a bit of protection and disperse the forces where it is bolted in. Not sure why they would have just one hole to mount. I would have had at least 2 screws, one upper and one lower with a curved washer on them.

9 hours ago, kac said:

If they just send you the part and have you do the install, maybe putting a rubber washer then a steel washer on top would give it just a bit of protection and disperse the forces where it is bolted in. Not sure why they would have just one hole to mount. I would have had at least 2 screws, one upper and one lower with a curved washer on them.

I'm never sure why any of the manufacturers do what they do  lol. They are extremely intelligent in designing the brain of a machine but not so smart on the details of durability. There is no reason that an arm cuff should break this quickly. It makes no sense since it renders the machine inoperable. It's a 2 hour drive to the beach for me and the cuff snaps after about an hour or so. Lucky I had a back up machine, although it altered my plans a bit. I am not the only one that has had issues with it. But that is for another post, just not by me. :laugh: I'm done and  I will probably end up buying an after market shaft/cuff to solve this issue.

8 hours ago, BeachHunter said:

Cool finds! Not so cool on the cuff. Under warranty maybe?

Thanks, I love beach hunting. Time to move to the dirt for a while. Cuff is probably under warrantee.

• Like 1

If the cuff isn't then maybe look into after market shaft system. People seem to like the carbon fiber ones out. Think Anderson might have a setup for it.

• Like 1