Report On Noisy, Salty Northern Nevada Ground, The GPZ And The SDC

Great report, Chris. Certainly shows why having more than one "arrow" in the quiver can be advantageous. Owning both of those machines I think would cover most prospecting situations. The addition of a good VLF for trashy areas would round out them out.

Did you notice much depth loss hunting in the salt mode on the SDC? Not that it would make much of a difference in that if the machine isn't stable you won't be effective at any depth. Thanks again!

Dean

Reading this post and other posts in the 4Ms archives, it seems you folks have ground just the same as we have here in OZ. Most of the ground I prospect in NQ OZ is only slightly noisy. If wet even less noisy and more depth penetration. Certainly not like your salt areas, nor like some areas of WA or in particular some patches around Wedderburn in Victoria OZ.

Got me thinking and must ask you fellows that have experienced both US and OZ fields, is there really any difference, is it just a myth downunder that our ground is the worst to detect in?

Got me thinking and must ask you fellows that have experienced both US and OZ fields, is there really any difference, is it just a myth downunder that our ground is the worst to detect in?

No Myth. Topographically places in northern Nevada look somewhat like WA, but geologically, its night and day different. We have some places in the Western US that are bad, some as bad as Australia, but overall, you are way worse. There are a few mild places in WA, and there are a few bad places in the US. We just have a lot less iron in the ground where most of our gold deposits are. Salt however, is totally different to ground balance as compared iron rich, magnetically reactive soils.

• Like 1

Yeah I did some detecting in the salt lakes of WA back a bit, certainly difficult. We are probably fortunate in QLD OZ, we do have some "hot" areas, but overall tis quiet, well where I`ve been. But I get you the iron richness is what makes WA  gold deposits different to most of yours.

Hi Chris, Thank you very much for the report and all the help and information you so freely give all of us. I'm really appreciative for the info and it will be a big help for me next month. thanks

with the GPZ, when encountering difficult salty ground, i imagine it is difficult to say exactly where you will encounter this problem other than by how the metal detector reacts. Or, do you tend to find the difficult salt ground to be in more low lying areas or pockets? Is there any relationship to heavy salt concentrations in higher areas that might indicate ancient low ground that may also have collected other heavy metals and by this could the GPZ's extreme sensitivity to salt be anyway advantageous?

Hey, I found some of that window screen wire with my 2300 in N Nevada too.   Must have been after Steve cleaned out the patch.  :ph34r:   Thanks for nice write up Chris. 

I've found that window screen in a bunch of places. For some reason the desert old timers liked it - it was cheaper than a real window. One window screen, once rusted can break up and the wind will contaminate dozens of acres with little wires a quarter to a half inch long.