Report On Noisy, Salty Northern Nevada Ground, The GPZ And The SDC

Fred I was teasing.

I also agree with what you are saying.

My hearing is not good. It takes a very precise adjustment on the audio tones

to get just the right frequency to take best advantage of the limited hearing range I have left.

When the detector is tuned well and the tones are right,

I agree it is like audio 'tunnel vision.'

Hope to perhaps run into you this summer

best…

• Like 1

Thanks steve,i wont get much chance to hunt probobly till october, then will be recouping from shouder sugery anyway gonna be one armed for awile. When i ran sdc there in march it was not as quiet dry as it was wet this time have you noticed this?

I would say that based on experiences so far that if the GPZ 7000 has an Achilles Heel it is salt ground. Minimal salt levels would be indicated by ground that simply refuses to ground balance out that last couple inches near the ground. The more salt, the higher off the ground you will get signals that will not balance out. Minimal salt your can just lift the coil a bit. But if you are getting signals over a foot above the ground, or at waist height, there appears to be nothing you can really do that does more than slightly help. The problem does not go away through tuning.

As has been mentioned before it really takes both salt and water to create the problem normally. A cup full of dry salt can't be detected. Add water and mix, and now a hot detector will pickup the salt water. Hot VLF detectors sound off on your hand because of this. So ground that was not bad one trip can be very bad the next if some rain has occurred in between.

Here is a not happy customer in Oz very frustrated with the issue http://www.finders.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?p=101734#101734

The early Minelab PI detectors also suffered in salt, but special "salt" coils and then later special settings helped tackle the issue.

Salt conductivity mimics gold conductivity. The only way you can get rid of salt signals is to eliminate the overlapping gold signals. Still, if a machine is non-functional due to noise, doing this and still getting the other gold that falls outside the salt range it a preferable option.

Right now if a person was going to really be getting into a lot of salt situations, another machine may be the way to go. The GPX series obviously handle salt areas well. I kept my ATX specifically for dealing with any salt situations I ever encounter that might foil my GPZ though I have not had to go there yet. There are other possible options, even the CTX 3030, that can be considered.

My take is pretty simple. The GPZ is crazy powerful, and in the current form salt ground may therefore be an issue. I have never yet found one detector that is perfect at everything and so no big shock to me. It may be some future GPZ version sports a special salt mode and that would be great. But if it does, it will then be no better than any other detector that ignores salt ground. I plan on more tests regarding this in the future and will report my findings at a later date.

• Like 3

Thanks Chris for the chat while you were there. The GPZ is in it's own class with all the moans and groans and I can't wait until we dry out.

Also thank you and Steve for the feed back on these detectors.

Wow, he is certainly not a happy customer. Remarkable, if his criticism is true, why didn`t ML tweak to this early in the piece before release?

Can`t bitch about mine, just found the GPZs second broken down reef in country that has been flogged by everything and everyone. Having a ball, from default setting upped volume and sensitivity two notches, vary between difficult and normal and went back to low audio smoothing, found current patch from a indicator 8.24 gram solid at measured depth of 22" in creek that had also been flogged. Tested audio response in difficult over find in normal less response but still positive, low audio smoothing no drama over no smoothing,but my country has no salt and is only moderately mineralised. Very interesting for country around Leonora which had been no drama to the SD2100 back last century.

Wow, he is certainly not a happy customer. Remarkable, if his criticism is true, why didn`t ML tweak to this early in the piece before release?

Can`t bitch about mine, just found the GPZs second broken down reef in country that has been flogged by everything and everyone. Having a ball, from default setting upped volume and sensitivity two notches, vary between difficult and normal and went back to low audio smoothing, found current patch from a indicator 8.24 gram solid at measured depth of 22" in creek that had also been flogged. Tested audio response in difficult over find in normal less response but still positive, low audio smoothing no drama over no smoothing,but my country has no salt and is only moderately mineralised. Very interesting for country around Leonora which had been no drama to the SD2100 back last century.

as I read about his experience with target pinpointing and recovery of his target, I don't find that I'm having the same degree of difficulty. it is unfortunate his experience is so unsatisfying Im just thankful those problems seem to be related to some specific conditions in which the detector is operating as I am not experiencing the same level of frustration with mine.

Welcome to the forum Road Dog!

I enjoyed bilbos rant. Reminded me of me when I get wound up, which luckily is not often! Nothing works perfectly for everyone everywhere unfortunately. The day that happens I will need only one detector and right now I am struggling hard to cut it down to six.

• Like 1