Report On Noisy, Salty Northern Nevada Ground, The GPZ And The SDC

Interesting test report Chris, i don;t get over to northern Nevada much but your info is always welcome, gives me more info to work with, thanks for sharing.

Thanks Chris, it's great to have some pros in the US that can tackle our tough questions and provide insight into the complexities of the GPZ 7000. Hopefully the ground will dry out soon and some better gold will be found! :D

Bill

Can't say I have found the salt ground more than annoying. I reminds me of beach detecting. I do have some more experiments to try yet myself but for now have an essay at http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/970-minelab-gpz-7000-a-super-vlf-saturable-soil-tips/ that relates to this subject.

The first time I used my 7000 was on the beach.  I didn't get the coil wet but I went over wet and dry areas of the beach.

It wasn't so noisy that I couldn't use it but I have a 3030 and SE Pro with discrimination that I use.

When I went to Northern Nevada it was mostly dry and my problem was not with the ground but going to an area that had gold that I could detect.  I didn't hear the noise on that trip but I didn't hear any gold either.

I can't prove this but I think certain types of hearing loss may be a benefit to detecting-sometimes.  My hearing is so acute that I can hear a few small rain drops hitting my akubra hat...the point being I hear every little sound. 

Others that could not hear as well had a much easier time in that Nevada ground...

fred

Fred

I think you are right on. I didn't have much problem with the wet ground sounds and was able to concentrate on the real target sounds. In an earlier post, I shared the settings that worked for me in that wet soil. When I got back home, I tried those settings here and the ZED was unusable. All soils and conditions dictate finding the best settings for the ground you are presented with.

Norm McQ

• Like 2

Hi Chris and steve,just wanted to add Chris i was down on our claim in nevada where you and steve were testing sdc2300 's last time,i was there 27th.and 28th. Pretty damp. What i noticed with sdc this time in same location was i could run on #4 all the time and sometimes in afternoon when ground warmed #5 and it was still pretty quiet, could run threshold on level #1 and was very quiet yet. Just wondering if you two remember what settings you were running that trip when you were down over the hill?,thats where it was running at it's best on 4 and 5 in damp ground,when i was down trip before you could not run this high in dry ground, what do you think? Rick