Out Scouting

Guest AussieDigs

See if you can get some geology maps for your area and you will see if the structures (reefs) are connected. Or you 

can get an app like the one by trilobite solutions. You can get geo maps for vic on your phone and it will show you where you are on the ground when out there. I use it here in WA for finding promising spots.

Finding new areas to find gold can be like looking for a needle in a haystack. Knowing the underlying geology will at least show you where the haystack is.

• Like 1

Hey MT, I downloaded the trilobite solutions one 2 weeks ago - very happy with it. 

For everyone else - the  subscription is about $12 a year for the geology maps which are very interesting. They provide overlays for all of Australia. 

Then the free overlays re: gold, copper, silver, deep leads, etc are very good and the info attached is also good. 

There is a gold overlay subscription for each state that is also a pay-to-use subscription but is reasonably priced and (I think) they are updated monthly. I haven’t subscribed to that as yet as the free overlays are enough at present. I think the WA subscription was a little dearer - have you got this part MT or do you not feel it is needed for where you are?  

Australian Geology Travel Maps is the app name. 

I have tried Avenza Maps, Hema Maps and some other thing that I just deleted 2 days ago - AGTM is the best I’ve seen so far. 

Happy to post some screen shots if anyone is interested.  All the info is held on phone and is available when out of phone service as long as your phone or tablet is GPS enabled. 

• Like 3

On 6/9/2019 at 6:13 PM, AussieDigs said:

Ok guys, if this Coil is in fact a DD, what would be a good choice in a smaller medium sized mono that is reasonably sensitive?

Thanks 

Al.

Al I went looking in a QED manual because I didn`t know, and I came across this line "The QED was built upon the mono search coil platform, DD searchcoils will not work properly as only one side of a DD coil will be functional."
       What that means is, hold a small target in your fingers, and if you can only hear it on the left side of the coil, that coil is definitely a DD.                    DD`s transmit on the left side and receive on the right side.    If the coil is a DD, and I think it probably is, you don`t have a 11" round, you have a 11 x 5½" elliptical, which I think will still work fine, you just won`t get the full depth of a 11" mono.     I have found gold with DD`s  running the detector set to mono.
      And I agree with Reg, I think the Minelab 8" Commander is a killer coil, over the years I probably found more pieces with it than all my other coils combined.    Dave

• Like 1

Guest AussieDigs

Thanks guys.

considering he was selling the QED, id say he has bought a Minelab with that coil, which is why it was new, kept whatever he was running on the QED and sold the QED with this coil.

Well Al, I have to agree with your assumption, and a bit of a dog act, as the seller would have been aware of the situation. I have done some research, and know who this person is. He will probably read this post, so I appeal to him to do the right thing and contact you with the aim of replacing that coil. It would be the decent thing to do.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AussieDigs said:

Reg, ive had a reply. He is going to replace it with the mono.

That is an unexpected but welcome outcome for you AD. 

Whatever the reason you ended up with the DD, kudos to the seller for making it right ?

• Like 1

Guest AussieDigs
39 minutes ago, Northeast said:

That is an unexpected but welcome outcome for you AD. 

Whatever the reason you ended up with the DD, kudos to the seller for making it right ?

Absolutely mate.

with the correct mono and Howard waving his wand, it will be a beast!

Guest AussieDigs

I took the dogs out for another walk this arvo near where i had done some scouting once before. While i was about 60-70 metres from the ute, another ute came out of the bush passing mine. Where they came from there is no track but there is worked ground in there. Didnt think much of it. After i left i came around a sharp left hander with these two young scruffy blokes standing outside their ute blocking the track. They came to the drivers door with one of them swearing and carrying on about me following them. I asked him if he was serious having a laugh. He was getting real ansy. I told him he was paranoid and laughed it off. He just lost it and told me F off so i said move your ute and im out of here.

It didnt even enter mind till later but obviously they must have thought i was stalking them in their gold hunting haunt. 

Guest AussieDigs

Ive a had a quick swing in there but nothing major. Its Heaps Reef off Orton Rd. Northeast would know where it is. Not very smart fellas. I was none the wiser not thinking too much of their existence initially as plenty get in there for various reasons, hunting, trail bike riding, firewood, 4WDriving etc. Had his approach been more freindly i still wouldnt have been tweaked to their presence. 

It didnt stop there. It continued further up the road at a turn off. Now that we were more out in the open with passing traffic and i had unrestricted access (exit) the discussion got quite heated. If i could make an assumption, it was looking like these two jokers would be on the dole and going by the time of the day. One of the twits saying they would have the last laugh in 6 months time insinuating they were going to make their fortune!

They werent very smart Simon about anything they said or did. They might have found like 1/2 a gram and think they are on top of the motherload! But then, i shouldnt dismiss it either!

No PL’s in there either!