Out Scouting

Guest AussieDigs

Phrunt, I know you don't need any (further), advice. But I can say from a lot of years of first-hand experience that the one thing that upped my finds was slowing down - especially with the 7000. I am not trying to come off like some big expert but it's the first thing I look at when I find I haven't been hearing those subtle signals -I stop and have a short talk with myself to slow down. 

It's completely antithetical to my whole way of being, I love everything fast, but there you are.

Best...

Phrunt there is a place for fast swinging the coil. That is when you are out looking for a spot in unproven land, or walking to or from a spot. It is amazing how quick (pun intended) I slow down when an easy nugget yells out to me.? but good coil control as far as height goes. 

Guest AussieDigs

JW, three things mate,

I welcome off topic content. It can add substance to a thread.

Thank you sooo much for that previous bit of insight into your beginnings. This is the type of posts that teach me the most at this stage. Bad boy Simon has been very helpful. Reading what Super Swinger Simon has posted in the past about taking your time to cover that 20 metres caught my attention. To an extent, I think my thinking is on the right track. Mate, im getting over the nails and trash!

Me, im a slow swinger. No problems there. Im quite happy to take my time. The QED lets you know its prefered swing speed.

The pick tells me that the old timers worked the area. Was it surface/trench or reef. That should tell you how to work the spot yourself. Have a read of Egixe4 post a page or two back it sounds like Yackandanah is a close site worth having a look. If you know a place where a nugget was detected, put a 5 cent, 22 bullet and a air rifle pellet in the ground at lest 4" / 100mm deep. The size of your finds make me think your expectation might be a bit high.  Hope this help in your pursuit 

• Like 2

Guest AussieDigs
34 minutes ago, geof_junk said:

The pick tells me that the old timers worked the area. Was it surface/trench or reef. That should tell you how to work the spot yourself. Have a read of Egixe4 post a page or two back it sounds like Yackandanah is a close site worth having a look. If you know a place where a nugget was detected, put a 5 cent, 22 bullet and a air rifle pellet in the ground at lest 4" / 100mm deep. The size of your finds make me think your expectation might be a bit high.  Hope this help in your pursuit 

Geof, “surface/trench or reef”. Do you mean where i found the pick? The pic shows a reef as it was.

This is Yackandandah.

”Size of my finds- expectations might be a bit high”.  Sorry mate, not sure what you mean by this. I have found pieces the size of a match head up to the size of a spade! 11” mono on a ridge leading up a hill.

I think he was worried you were missing the quiet tones. If you are finding tiny bits also then your probably fine.

Lacky has got it right. A lot of new prospector have not heard a gold signal and the advice I gave would help in this case. I saw the mine and also the trench looks like a crosscut to find the reef. If that the case that slope may be worth a detect.

Guest AussieDigs
2 minutes ago, geof_junk said:

Lacky has got it right. A lot of new prospector have not heard a gold signal and the advice I gave would help in this case. I saw the mine and also the trench looks like a crosscut to find the reef. If that the case that slope may be worth a detect.

Geof, bit of a mix of pics. The mineshaft and rail track is up the road. The reef travels up the ridge a fair distance with intermittent diggings. This is where i found all those artifacts. The pick was laying on the surface below a mullock heap. Spotted it by eye. The chisel detected in the mullock.

You are right, i havent heard the faint sound of gold as yet but i can be a persistent prick!

Dont for a moment think i dont appreciate the input guys.

Al.