Out Scouting

Guest AussieDigs

Guest AussieDigs

I have been doing some research, whether im on the right track or not is part of the learning curve i spose!

Are reefs/leads connected? Are they related to each other?

I went off in another direction today. Riding the dirt bike to cover ground quickly and efficiently. No detector. Interesting to see ‘scratchings’ between reefs!

Am i right or wrong?

3E20FF6F-96C3-4F6F-B49D-02D8F028DFDE.jpeg

C76B86F3-5490-402C-BFDA-FDA288D77490.jpeg

281526CB-528A-4FBA-9868-B35343CCCE0D.jpeg

3C03808F-E252-410F-8488-86DA7AA8247C.jpeg

Hi mate. Connected as in thats what fed the leads and gullys. Sometimes they were found, the reefs and indicators that did so, sometimes not. Some places like fields such as Castlemaine if im not mistaken, there is a reef working of some kind associated with all the gullys. That's not to say the ones found and worked were the only ones that fed the gully, just that those obvious and more easily found were. Then you can have a place like Talbot where there are numerous rich leads and gullys but no apparent reefs found or worked with many of them. Thats the short answer. Such is gold. 

Guest AussieDigs

Thanks Guys.

Fred, id deff work where the old timers have worked but was considering waving between those incase there was a patch missed. Is this a waste of time better spent on worked over ground by the oldies? There are alot of spots looking as though as they havent been touched/thrashed being no easy to access.

Guest AussieDigs

My intentions is not to go just anywhere but study the maps etc and consider where the likelihood of gold may ly. There must have been some correctness in my thinking as there was evidence of scratchings between reefs. Throughout the Beechworth surrounds there is evidence of scratchings and leads when you venture beyond tracks and in to the bush. The bike helps cover ground quickly. Im surprised by what i have found by walking the hills.

Im very fortunate to be in the vicinity of plenty of workings. They sluiced across the road from home. They turned the place over only 500 metres away. Mineshafts at the same distance. I take the dogs out and let them wander while i swing the detector.

This arvo. A shovel head. Ok it is large but the GBPF picked it up at a decent depth under noisy rock and clay. Gain and thresh at 1pm.

15579AF0-A050-48DC-977C-4882B4D138CE.jpeg

Yes, work between and around the old diggings. But, it is often worth while to work tailings and throw-out for specimens and nuggets.

You can get left-overs or you can try for new; ground-enjoy the adventure.

fred

• Like 2

Guest AussieDigs

“Exciting “ it is mate. I have always been one to scout the hills on foot with dogs. Might as well swing a detector while im adit!

This might help you with Beechworth and Victoria Gold Mines. The link below will take you to my old post in another forum.                                                                                      http://golddetecting.forumotion.net/t2273-historical-gold-mines-in-google-earth

In the Table in the first post under GoogleEarth Compressed Files   Select  "HistoricalGoldMinesVic.kmz"  When the page turns up Click on the Blue Download button and select Direct download  you should find the file in your download folder. Click on the file.                     GOOGLE EARTH if installed will zoom in on Victoria. In the SEARCH field type in "Beechworth VIC, Australia" zoom in and pan around your area.  

I have included a direct link below which can be dragged to your desktop.

HistoricalGoldMinesVic.kmz

Guest AussieDigs

Out for a scout this arvo for two hours letting the dogs loose for a stretch.

Another shovel, axe head, chisel and two horse shoes!

372E3998-BA93-4D31-8C43-364EA34741D7.jpeg

A4529CF6-7B53-4CE4-ACE3-4C3CDA6EF579.jpeg

0C302B8A-8F70-46F1-BD26-852005FA2943.jpeg