Out Scouting

Guest AussieDigs

Guest AussieDigs

Simon, i need a decent backpack but thats what ill do eventually.

miners old spag tin!

middle phot guys. The heap in the foreground is rock only, the pile in the background is both rock and dirt. Also it looks to have been shifted out to its location as it doesnt appear to be excavated at the pile site. Unprocessed?

DBA00653-D6BD-4B71-B537-C2F5525EDD29.jpeg

60F8DA57-6203-4EA6-8E24-50EEB8481B54.jpeg

A5D6D6F2-27B3-4BDC-864F-5FFAE66C1C00.jpeg

Aussiedigs, Your QED is actually a PL1, but I believe Howard is going to bring it up to PL2 specs for you, with an advanced mode and electronics update. What coil are you using? I hope it is a mono, as the DD coil will work, but only half the coil will function.

Guest AussieDigs

Reg, i tried to get info on that coil in the pic above which was supplied with the detector. Proving difficult to achieve. Ill send the serial number to Minelab and see what they have to say.

PL1? Yeah Ok, has PL2 on the front panel and the AGB button (not working) and goes up to 15 modes but thats not the be all. Howard will sort it out.

cheers Reg.

Al.

3DFA9520-5EFB-4F0B-A4AD-668DBA6ED3A3.jpeg

Guest AussieDigs

Ok guys, if this Coil is in fact a DD, what would be a good choice in a smaller medium sized mono that is reasonably sensitive?

Thanks 

Al.

Al, it looks like a DD to me, as the monos have a label identifying them as such. It looks near new, and I can't help wondering whether the previous owner was aware of it being a DD or not. I would hate to think he stooged you by knowingly fitting that coil, as the QED was never supplied with a DD.

My recommendation would be a Commander 8" mono. You should be able to pick up a s/h coil for around AU$100. I picked one up recently for a friend from Coiltek. They may even give you a trade in on your DD, as it will be useless to you for QED use. I have always found Coiltek to be most helpful, and it would be worth your while to get a price on their Elite 11" mono as this coil works really well on QEDs, especially those with the extended mode. The Elite is more sensitive than the earlier bundle wound coils, and will be noisier in the low modes, but don't be afraid to increase the mode by quite a bit and then bring the gain up a bit to compensate. A compromise between these two settings is important in getting a nice smooth but sensitive threshold.

• Like 1

Guest AussieDigs

Thanks Reg.

The coil was new when it arrived while the detector had had plenty of use.

If i was to make an assumption id say he knew about the coil. To use a detector as much as this has been evident by wear and tear youd have half an idea!

Thanks for the info on the coils mate.

Al.

On 6/9/2019 at 5:51 PM, AussieDigs said:

3DFA9520-5EFB-4F0B-A4AD-668DBA6ED3A3.jpeg

Al something you might want to consider regardless of the coils you use,  re tension your coil lead where it goes into the coil. You are putting heaps of tension on that lead and will shorten the coils life.   Dave

SDC14069 (1).jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest AussieDigs

Thanks mate, yeah it has been pointed out. Ill run them with not so much tension from now on.

Cheers mate.

Al.

Guest AussieDigs

Out floating around late this arvo walking the dogs with beer in hand. Not suggesting anything by these pics, just of interest. Beats walking around the footy oval!

810D4EF0-110F-4FFE-99C2-5A24A59690DA.jpeg

ED3B3500-5EE8-41AB-A615-FF001E4F821F.jpeg