Out Scouting

Guest AussieDigs

Guest AussieDigs

A little more trash today. A decent sized hook, the rest, nails.

These critters are why you dont scoop out dirt without gloves.

A053CAB6-1B29-4C91-8895-F5B6F0E8702B.jpeg

C6AD8C40-4E24-4B25-93EB-F613A6C004EC.jpeg

D606F517-BF21-43A8-AC80-60F408C222ED.jpeg

58495644-56A7-4A25-83E4-CBFD34E051E6.jpeg

Guest AussieDigs

This arvos finds. Nails, bullet head, bit of aluminium. When did they start using aluminium for say bottle tops? There is a little track ‘dozed’ down to this spot. Dozers were late ‘20’s early 30’s? Theres a track put in above this spot that went to an adit but the reef i was working crossed this adit track but it had been worked since this track being put in. Where it crossed the track they had dug. The picture of the wood is Redbox ‘fiddleback’.

1497DDB3-9CE1-4386-B723-65717C4C02B9.jpeg

489E23F0-1250-44B7-9B79-21DBBBA85607.jpeg

1E714A75-0B20-43E8-B2A6-CAA4BE6B27E7.jpeg

I don’t normally offer advice on the net, but I’ve had a long association with the Beechworth area

And done quite nicely around the place over the years.

For good sized gold, get up to Yac, then smaller coils on the top of hills and on the steeper slopes, save the big coil for the lower flats.

• Like 2

Guest AussieDigs
9 minutes ago, egixe4 said:

I don’t normally offer advice on the net, but I’ve had a long association with the Beechworth area

And done quite nicely around the place over the years.

For good sized gold, get up to Yac, then smaller coils on the top of hills and on the steeper slopes, save the big coil for the lower flats.

Thanks mate, really appreciate the advice.

Al.

10 hours ago, AussieDigs said:

When did they start using aluminium for say bottle tops?

From Wikipedia:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screw_cap_(wine)

The most known brand of wine screw caps is Stelvin, which is commonly used in the wine industry as generic trademark for any brand of screwcap.[5] The caps have a long outside skirt, intended to resemble the traditional wine capsule ("foil"), and use plastic PVDC (Polyvinylidene chloride) as a neutral liner on the inside wadding.

The Stelvin was developed in the late 1960s and early 1970s by a French company Le Bouchage Mécanique at the behest of Peter Wall, the then Production Director of the Australian Yalumba winery.[6] In 1964 Peter Wall approached Le Bouchage Mécanique. The Stelvin cap was trialled in 1970 and 1971 with the Swiss wine Chasselas, which was particularly affected by cork taint, and was first used commercially in 1972 by the Swiss winery Hammel.[7] From about 1973 Yalumba and a group of other wineries - Hardys, McWilliams, Penfolds, Seppelt, Brown Bros and Tahbilk - were involved in developing and proving up the concept and began using it commercially in 1976.[8]

Although this article is about aluminum caps used for wine, my guess it that this occurred prior to aluminum caps on soft drink and beer bottles.  (That is also my recollection, having lived through those times. ?)

See also:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium#History

where it says aluminum products began around the turn of the 20th Century and really took off after WWII.

Guest AussieDigs
3 hours ago, kiwijw said:

Sweep speed always matters. I have given up telling you to slow down. VLF or not you still need to SLOW down. I believe it is the one ingredient that is missing in your pursuit of finding gold more often. I don't understand how you can say the QED is FORCING you to slow down. You should be slowing down with all your detectors. You have some very good detectors. You have developed a very bad habit & it is costing you gold. You have said it yourself, how I can focus on a small 20 meter by 20 meter area all day. The saying "low & slow" is the golden key to better success. More so with our small gold. I am of course talking of areas we detect where gold has been found before. Maybe I should strap on a ball & chain to your ankle, or beat you with a stick. Just need to make sure my ferrite ring isn't on the end of it.:laugh: SLOW DOWN ? I mean it all in a nice way. :smile:

Good luck out there

JW ?

Ball and chain, big stick? Careful JW, he may not slow down on purpose!

Guest AussieDigs

@fredmason and @GB_Amateur,

I dont have a full cap. Im only making the assumption that thats what its from, the piece in the photo above. Its not lead im sure as its more stiff like alum. Its thickness is consistent with that of a bottle cap. I doubt whether this area has been worked since the original workings as there isnt any evidence and too much trash about and in particular around where i found this piece. There are indicators though that suggest possibly at least two different prospecting periods.

GB, thanks for the wiki link on aluminium history. Interesting readding.

Al.

There was an old bull and a young bull up on top of a hill and a herd of cow in the paddock below. The young one said lets run down and knock a few of them up. The old wise bull said let walk down and do the lot in. Phrunt it seems like you are the young bull. :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pretty heavy for a screw cap, I think. In the thirty or forty’s screw caps were fairly common on whiskey and condiment bottles...my time line may be off a bit, just my memories from hunting old dumps.

Phrunt...??? Even coin hunting requires decent ground coverage and coil control, listen to the Master!

with respect 

fred

• Like 1