Just now, Northeast said:

Darn it Dave!!  I’m going to have to read that bloody manual again!  ?

NE,

I youtube it, to learn the different settings, to me visually watching is much better than a manual, kind of like having your own personal tutor, I just wish it was with some DD's..... ??

• Like 3

Both Gold 1 and Gold 2 are single tone VCO audio only. You can set that single tone's base pitch anywhere on the Tone 1 pitch scale. I run my kind of in the middle of the scale. I use the threshold tone which can also be set at any pitch. I set it an octave lower so I don't get the target tone and threshold tone confused. So you can have two different pitches at the same time but one is the target tone which modulates with the size and depth of the target and the other continuous tone is the threshold tone that drops out if anything discriminated is detected. You can also set volume levels independently for the target tone and threshold tone which is really nice. Like Phrunt, I have to use a little iron disc like -9, -8 and -7 where I hunt due to an abundance of hot rocks. Its either discriminate or go nuts in my case. I don't want to go nuts in the middle of nowhere......

Awesome finds, Phrunt!!!!!

Jeff

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nice find!!

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Both Gold 1 and Gold 2 are single tone VCO audio only. You can set that single tone's base pitch anywhere on the Tone 1 pitch scale. I run my kind of in the middle of the scale. I use the threshold tone which can also be set at any pitch. I set it an octave lower so I don't get the target tone and threshold tone confused. So you can have two different pitches at the same time but one is the target tone which modulates with the size and depth of the target and the other continuous tone is the threshold tone that drops out if anything discriminated is detected. You can also set volume levels independently for the target tone and threshold tone which is really nice. Like Phrunt, I have to use a little iron disc like -9, -8 and -7 where I hunt due to an abundance of hot rocks. Its either discriminate or go nuts in my case. I don't want to go nuts in the middle of nowhere......

Jeff

Jeff,

Yes your right, sorry for the error NE, your right,  gold mode only has the 1 tone VCO ...

Dave

• Like 2

Congratulations Simon on your largest nugget to date! ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Awesome on your biggest phrunt! ?

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Northeast said:

Is there a setting on the 4500 where these don't get a response?  

I also wonder what a smooth threshold on a GPX sounds like.  Yours is sounding a little wavery like what I get often on the QED.  I am wanting it much smoother.  It's interesting to hear if this is considered a 'stable' GPX threshold. 

Congrats on the PB - always nice to get one over a gram  ?

I doubt my GPX would be considered smooth there but it's how I like to run it when I can get away with it, that's maximum sensitivity with audio in it's boost mode and sensitive extra, it's basically running the GPX flat out is my understanding.  I can get away with those settings in any places without power lines and when using them opens me up to finding 0.X gram size bits of gold and sometimes smaller..  The downside is the shotgun pellets you start to dig.  In powerline areas I have to drop my gain to between 9 and 12 and then I start to lose sensitivity to tiny gold.  A majority of the GPX gold I've found is in those settings.

I also have one of the first generation Australian made GPX's which I believe are a bit more ratty than the modern ones.

I would like GPX users past and present to comment on that threshold to see if I'm hindering myself running it so hot like that.

I had the audio very loud in the video as I turned my SP01 enhancer up to full volume to make sure it could be heard in the video properly.

I've tried every setting, I can't get rid of the hot rocks.  Changing coil is my next step in trying to tame them, maybe the NF Evo is just too sensitive so I'll try my Coiltek Joey or the stock 11".

• Like 1

7 hours ago, strick said:

Nice Nuggets you got there Simon...It looks like you are hunting tailing piles? If so do you have any idea how the old timers might have missed nuggets of that size? Do you know what methods they might have been using at that area ?

strick

JW would be the best to answer this question strick but the biggest nugget wasn't in a tailings pile, it was in a very unlikely spot which is why I found it, the tailings piles have already be cleaned out by JW and others, they wouldn't miss a big one like that ?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, strick said:

It looks like you are hunting tailing piles? If so do you have any idea how the old timers might have missed nuggets of that size? Do you know what methods they might have been using at that area ?

strick

Hi there strick. I will take Simon's lead here & answer on his behalf. Naturally these gully workings go back to the initial gold rush days & for this location was 1862-63. So the first method was just all by hand. Turning the floor of the gully over by pick, shovel & wheelbarrow from one side to the other. Diverting the creek in the process. Then came ground sluicing to work higher up the banks & spurs. You will notice in Simon's 3rd pic a couple of horizontal lines cut into the hillside. These where water races & they are on both sides of this valley picking up what ever water they could from little side creeks. The material we are finding the gold in is from virgin ground that they didn't sluice away. You can tell by the look of the material itself that it hasn't been sorted by water & has all the natural fine gravels & silts undisturbed & mixed in still. The slope of the ground gives the impression that they are piles but that is just where the old timers stopped. Probably because they couldn't get their water up to that height or they thought it not worth their while to do so. Their method of sluicing was ground sluicing & not the high pressure monitors. Other gold I am finding is what is still jammed up down in the schist bed rock cracks & crevices that the old timers water didn't wash out & they didn't see but their sluicing took away the over burden down to the bed rock. God bless them.

This little coil is blowing me away with the gold it is finding me as I know how many times I have been over these grounds with my GP 3000 & 4500 with many different coils & the Zed with the ML 14. To be fair to the ML 14 coil there are some places that I just couldn't easily get that coil into, but they weren't many. I was still in for a few surprises with this little coil verses the ML 14. But that is my post yet to come. Cheers

Good luck out there

JW ?       

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2