Minelab CTX 3030 Sounds

I have been using my 3030 for almost 2 years now and I still only use Smooth for the sound.  It is quite good but sometimes it 'balances out' or becomes difficult to get it to repeat consistently.

Recently I have been reading about some CTX programs for download and others use Pitch Hold.  I tried it last night and it was just so odd.  The threshold goes to a different sound and pitch, the volume goes to a lower level and I have a hard time hearing the target.

After this I tried Normal and it makes me wonder how someone can use this also.

Long is close to smooth.

The difference is so much and unusable to me that I think I must send it in for repair.  Before I do that I will have a friend come over and compare my sounds to his.

Does anyone else have problems with these sound settings?

Mitchel

(All of this makes me want to get my hearing checked!)

Fred,

I have started my hearing test online.  It says that I have trouble hearing in a noisy situation.  Another test tells me the frequencies that are difficult for me to hear.  I wonder if it is those tones on the 3030?

For those of you with similar difficulty or even if you don't here are a couple of tests that I took.

Here is the best test I have found so far.  It tests for frequencies you can hear.  I took it with some headphones so that may have some effect.  If you don't have good headphones or good speakers on your computer it will affect your test.

http://myhearingtest.net/

This test is like several I found which test your ability to hear in noisy situations.

http://www.hear-the-world.com/en/hearing-and-hearing-loss/online-hearing-test.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwnKCrBRCm1YuPrtWW0QMSJAC-5UYk7JIik7Cmx1rn4vXJ9dIcYCSWvgMyiEPyykAdcT4EVxoCksXw_wcB

This one wants to get your email to tell you that you have trouble hearing in a noisy area ...

http://www.beltonehearingtest.com/us/

Who has a link to a better test?

What have you done to modify your detector to hear it better?

Clean your ears out!!!! just teasing, Mitchel. But seriously the wax/crud build-up in your ears can affect your ability to hear well.

Most people lose their ability to hear/pick certain noises from the ambient level. It also has to do with paying attention-like listening to a certain singer in a group or a certain instrument...the best thing is to find the tone you hear best while using your detector in the field. You can get to the sound ranges on the ctx and compare them, even change them if you understand how to do it.

fred

ps. how was tonopah?

I went out to the beach this afternoon and used the SE Pro and I have as much problem understanding those 'Responses' as I do on the 3030.  Long and Smooth are the best. 'Normal and Pitch Hold' are a mystery to me.  It makes me understand why I like them (3030 and SE Pro) because they have a screen which will show the target with and without the sound.

I used the 3030 in Tonopah around all of the nails and found just a 41 nickel.  Lu found a 47 dime with the SE Pro.  You have to go really slow in the trashy areas even with the Fast Recovery.  At another location we each found a Levi's button and some clips.

Hunting and sifting the dump (not Lu's favorite) got us a silver fork and some other buttons for our 3 hours at it.  That is not enough time to find anything really good.  That means the Masonic Ring I found last year is even more lucky.

Mitchel

Part of the problem with my sounds are the headphones.  I mostly use the Koss UR-30s that come with their models but I have had problems.  One set I sent back to Koss and they sent me a new headphone for the $15 replacement fee.  I had to send Koss the old Minelab phones.

Now I have a set under warranty with Minelab and I called them up.  I told them the unit works properly with other headphones and they are sending me a new set without any return or further questions.  It seems that this latest problem results from the short cord and if you get it caught and it pulls against the ear piece.  It will pull loose some connection in the speaker area. (At least this is what I think.)

I saw where Steve H had a problem with his headphones and his 2300.  He is selling the old and new set together thinking one could be for parts but I don't know how to open the area that needs to be fixed.

Minelab did a good service call by seeing my registration, believing me and sending out new headphones within 5 minutes.

Mitchel

Mitchel;

you will never have that problem if you use the module...alternately you could go buy a three foot male to female cord for an extension...

I put my module in my shirt pocket and have never had a problem losing it. On my gpz I was hooking it on my pack's cheststrap. That was no good because it would flip around. Now I have an old cellphone "wallet" that I pinned to my strap...the velcro cover latches the wm12 in very securely...

just charge the module everytime you charge the ctx battery and no problems...you will be free of the umbilical cord too...time to separate...haha

fred

I have worn the WM10 on my hat and it works that way except when the wave noise is high.  Then it helps to wear the headphones.  The headphones also are warmer and if I don't have the right hat with me then they will protect my ears from the sun.

I have another pair of headphones that has its own power supply.  They are Able Planets that can work fine.  (Sometimes they hit my ears wrong so I take a break from them.)  The thing I like about them is that you can put the threshold down low and turn up the volume (amplfy) on the headphones.  They have a long straight cord that will work well with the WM12 for the 7000 when I get out to use it again.  

You are right about the module alone being a good option.  When I have worn it on the back of my cap the swing is very intuitive.

Mitchel; I should have been more informative...I plug the headphones into the module. The surf noise is way to intrusive to not use headphones...in the desert I vary but like the dual external speakers with Jonathan Porter's enhancer best...

fred

• 3 weeks later...

I've never had my hearing checked since high school. Many rock concerts, gun shooting, and saws and nail guns since then. Just called to schedule a appointment with the audiologist. 25 bucks. She even said bring the detector with me and she will make sure my hearing and pitch of the detector will be in perfect tune. I feel a small price to pay to make sure I'm not missing any targets.

• Like 1