phrunt

Who Needs A Metal Detector When All You Need To Do Is Walk Your Dog

Australian man finds 624g gold nugget worth $37,000 while walking dog

13 May, 2019 7:56pm
The father said he had been informed the nugget would likely be worth more than the A$35,000 estimate if it was sold whole. Photo / News Corp
The father said he had been informed the nugget would likely be worth more than the A$35,000 estimate if it was sold whole. Photo / News Corp

An Australian family have literally struck gold after finding a valuable gold nugget during a Mother's Day outing.

The family from Bendigo in Victoria, who asked to remain anonymous, were walking their dog — fittingly named Lucky — on the outskirts of town on Sunday morning when the daughter kicked something hard lying on the ground.

At first, the father and his two daughters were unsure of what they had found — but it has since been confirmed by experts as a 624 gram gold nugget with an estimated value of at least $35,000 ($37,000).

"I actually walked right past it but my daughter pretty much kicked it as she was walking. She then goes — dad, is this gold? I said, I think it might be," the father told the Bendigo Advertiser.

The stunned family first took their find to an IGA supermarket to weigh it, with the rock coming in at 624 grams, or 20 ounces.  The father said he had been informed the nugget would likely be worth more than the A$35,000 estimate if it was sold whole, and that he did plan to sell it eventually.  He said the unexpected windfall had come at a crucial time.

"We've come on some tough times so it's really good because we've been struggling financially. It couldn't be better timing really," he told the Bendigo Advertiser.  "Just having it at home, I've been like where do we store it? I haven't been sleeping very well and we think it's best just to sell it."  He said the "really random find" had inspired the family to return to the site and look for more gold lying beneath the surface.  "Usually when you find a nugget that big, there will be more gold around so hopefully that's the case," he told the publication.

However, it's not the first time an Aussie has struck it rich.  Last September, a huge gold nugget worth at least A$110,000 was uncovered by a retired prospector in remote Western Australia.  That find weighed in at a hefty 3.23 kilograms and was dubbed "Duck's Foot" because of its unique shape.    And in 2017, Surfers Paradise gold digger Greg Cooke made headlines after finding several gold nuggets on a northern Gold Coast beach over several visits.

In fact, Australia is famous for its treasure trove of gold nuggets, with eight of the world's 10 largest found in the country over the years.  The "Welcome Stranger" nugget, pictured below, weighing between 2380 and 2284 ounces, is the biggest ever found on the planet and was discovered at Moliagul, near Dunolly in Victoria, in 1869.

QV7DKFHKUVE2RPTNHULEXLNJ4I.jpg
The "Welcome Stranger" nugget, weighing between 2380 and 2284 ounces, is the biggest ever found on the planet. Photo / Supplied

Source:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=12230581

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

what can you say  ?

What has the guy sitting in the Gold Coast sand dunes got to do with the find in Bendigo? Nothing! Just more lazy rubbish from News Corp. They couldn't even put up a photo of the real 20oz nugget, which the Bendigo Advertiser at least did.

The guy in the sand dunes is definately not related to the finder in any way, and the piece he is holding looks to be only a couple of ounces.

• Like 2

Real one (The Age)577fecd2070ebcf1974c693a86d4599676fa7c35

• Like 5

They said in another article he found that on the beach at Gold Coast along with several others.  I would expect that to be the weirdest place to find nuggets.  I spent all those years living there and could have detected the living daylights out of it but didn't even consider it ?

https://www.news.com.au/finance/money/wealth/bendigo-man-finds-624g-gold-nugget-worth-35000-while-walking-dog/news-story/310de4c6f50258f0219aee146d6a80df

• Like 2

There is no way on earth nuggets were found on Gold Coast beach. Total rubbish.

2 minutes ago, Reg Wilson said:

There is no way on earth nuggets were found on Gold Coast beach. Total rubbish.

I thought the same, it just doesn't seem right, unless someone dropped them ?

This was the story on it

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/wtf/surfers-paradise-gold-digger-finds-four-more-nuggets-in-the-sand-on-gold-coast-beach/news-story/9295cf02f989a29c6b9e60f34f425215

Take a look at those colors. They are red stained. Need I say more?

• Like 1

All this publicity about GOLD FINDS seem like the early day when Nuggets showed up just before Easter, Xmas, school holidays and the release of a NEW Detector.:rolleyes:. I remember when a new detector was released and a photo of mine turned up in a major Victorian News Paper.:rolleyes: At least the photographer had got the rights from me two years early for use of the photo. I still have a copy of the article with my gold memories. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Any chance of posting it Geoff?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By mn90403
      The SS Central America had lots of coins and lots of treasure to say the least.  We has a presentation (with coins and gold nuggets) at a PCSC meeting in Downey, California last year.  The author said this book was coming.
      I don't see much of a preview online but it may be a reference book that will show up in your local library!
      https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/new-reference-details-gold-silver-recovered-in-2014-from-ss-central-america
    • By phrunt
      https://www.news.com.au/technology/science/archaeology/ultrarare-diamond-with-another-diamond-inside-found-in-siberia/news-story/fc36004d80fd986200447dffab326b4f
      Miners have unearthed an ultra-rare diamond with a second diamond inside it.
      The inner gem is loose inside the first diamond, moving around freely — and could be the first example of such a diamond ever found in the world.
      This rare gem is believed to have formed around 800 million years ago.
      It was dug up by Russian diamond miners Alrosa at the Nyurba mine in Siberia.
      Scientists then used X-rays and other scanning techniques to confirm the presence of a second diamond inside the first. A diamond within a diamond has wowed the world.Source:Supplied
      “Based on the results of the study, the scientists made a hypothesis about how the crystal was formed,” Alrosa said.
      “According to them, there was an internal diamond at first, and the external one was formed during the subsequent stages of growth.”
      The gem has been dubbed the Matryoshka diamond after the Russian nesting dolls of the same name.
      The outer stone weighs 0.62 carats, while the inner gem weighs 0.02 carats.
      “As far as we know, there has been no such diamond in the history of global diamond mining,” said Oleg Kovalchuk, of Alrosa.
      “This is really a unique creation of nature, especially since nature abhors a vacuum.
      An X-ray view of the diamond inside another diamond.Source:Supplied
      “Usually, in a case like this, the minerals would be replaced by others without forming a cavity.”
      He added: “The most interesting thing for us was to find out how the air space between the inner and outer diamonds was formed,” said Oleg Kovalchuk, of Alrosa.
      The diamond will now be sent to the Gemological Institute of America for further analysis. Researchers haven’t estimated its worth yet — it will be difficult due to the gem’s rarity, they say.
      However, they do have one theory as to how it formed.
      “A layer of porous polycrystalline diamond substance was formed inside the diamond because of ultra-fast growth,” Alrosa scientists explain.
      “And more aggressive mantle processes subsequently dissolved it.
      “Due to the presence of the dissolved layer, one diamond began to move freely inside another — just like a Matryoshka nesting doll.”
    • By Tnsharpshooter
      https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=277106
    • By phrunt
      Australian Coin Hunters in the future are in for some quite amusing finds, see the new range of $1 coins about to hit the streets
      See the story and full collection here, a new Aussie themed coin for every letter of the alphabet.
      https://www.news.com.au/finance/money/australian-mint-and-australia-post-release-coins-to-celebrate-meat-pies-weetbix-esky/news-story/ccb2bfa5b305746d4e20186aa62b6f92
      Pretty cool idea, I'd like one of each

A whole new and more valuable collectable craze is about to sweep across Australia with the announcement of the Great Aussie Coin Hunt.
      Australia Post and the Royal Aus­tralian Mint will release millions of $1 coins from today featuring classic Australian themes such as the Hills hoist, a quokka and an Esky.
      There will be a different design for each letter of the alphabet with the first six available now.
      A will feature Australia Post, F for footy, I for Iced VoVo, M for meat pie, S for surf life saving and X for the tiny township of Xantippe.
      Bless!Source:Supplied
      A few Philip Seymour Frothmans one ice.Source:Supplied
      New coins will then be released every Monday until October 21, culminating in Z for the summer staple Zooper Dooper.
      But there’s a catch.
      The only way to get your hands on the iconic coins will be to make a purchase at an Australia Post store and receive the limited edition $1 coins in the change.
      The humble meat pie.Source:Supplied
      “We want everyone to get involved,” Australia Post consumer and community executive general manager Nicole Sheffield said.
      “Not only will it be really exciting to hunt for all the coins and build an amazing collection, but each and every coin opens up the opportunity for wonderful conversations about quintessential Australian life.
      “It’s a great way for grandparents to connect with grandchildren, and for all of us to share our own experiences and memories with each other — both here and with friends and family overseas.”
      The summer staple.Source:Supplied
      What’s more Aussie than swinging from the Hills hoist? Picture: David CairdSource:News Corp Australia
      Summer goodness.Source:Supplied
      Name another country where a clothes line is iconic …Source:Supplied
      Australia’s unique culture will be displayed on the $1 coins from favourite foods, the boomerang and didgeridoo, sports footy and cricket, and, of course, the television classic Neighbours.
      Native wildlife favourites the kangaroo, platypus and even the quokka will have their own special coin.
      The coins will be released from Monday. Picture: Daniel Pockett/Getty ImagesSource:Supplied
      Unfortunately no Hemsworths will feature but the quokka certainly is. Picture: InstagramSource:Instagram
      The massive campaign is the biggest minting and release of $1 coins since they were created in 1984.
      “We are excited that The Great Aussie Coin Hunt has now officially launched, giving families and all Australians the opportunity to participate in a fun and educational nationwide coin hunt,” assistant treasurer Michael Sukkar said.
      Australia Post to jillaroo.Source:Supplied
      From kangaroo to thongs.Source:Supplied
      Ute through to the icy goodness.Source:Supplied
    • By geof_junk
      The man who discovered GOLD first in Australia..pdf
    • By jrbeatty
      Reg Wilson is a bit of a legend in Australian detecting circles and has kept a comprehensive photo collection of his finds over 4 or 5 decades. Now everyone likes gold images and stories -  and there are plenty here!  I've been offered existing topics to post on, but I believe the topic deserves its own thread to do it full justice. All images are those of Reg Wilson unless otherwise attributed.
      The album consists of hundreds of photographs of not only gold, but many gold detecting industry characters, some of whom are no longer with us, but who all contributed in their own unique ways to the great gold chase we still enjoy today. Firstly, a bit of background.
      Reg first shot to international fame with the finding of this 98 ounce piece which he named the "Orange Roughie" in 1987, decades later to be fraudulently rebirthed as the "Washington Nugget"
      By no means his first find, Reg was already a successful detector operator and at the time was testing a prototype GT 16000 for Minelab's wizz kid engineer Bruce Candy:

Photo: Australian Sun Herald
      L to R:  Bruce Candy, the late Doug Robertson, Ian Jacques, Reg, John Hider Smith.

Reg recalled: "The man standing next to Bruce Candy is the late Doug Robertson, who with his brother Bruce worked the aluvials below the famous and fabulously rich Matrix reef at McIntyres. They had an old Matilda tank with a blade attached to clear Mallee scrub. Between them they had a wealth of knowledge of the northern Victorian gold fields.
      (Doug's name may have been Robinson. Memory is a bit foggy)" Ian, Reg and John were prototype SD 2000 testers in Victoria, AU and were collectively known as the "Beagle Boys" a name bestowed upon them by Dave Chappel, the publican of the Railway Hotel Dunolly. On any Friday night huge nuggets, some weighing well over a hundred ounces could be seen displayed on the bar.
      120oz from Longbush. Found all on its own, finder anonymous:

The playing cards and US currency indicate that the nugget has just been purchased by the late "Rattlesnake" John Fickett, a US gold buyer who bought many of the big pieces back then:

Ian Jacques and Reg with 44 oz 1989:

Ian Jacques with his SD 2000 prototype late 80's.
      Real prospectors don't use bungees  

All for now, but at least we've made a start - - -