phrunt

Who Needs A Metal Detector When All You Need To Do Is Walk Your Dog

Australian man finds 624g gold nugget worth $37,000 while walking dog

13 May, 2019 7:56pm
The father said he had been informed the nugget would likely be worth more than the A$35,000 estimate if it was sold whole. Photo / News Corp
The father said he had been informed the nugget would likely be worth more than the A$35,000 estimate if it was sold whole. Photo / News Corp

An Australian family have literally struck gold after finding a valuable gold nugget during a Mother's Day outing.

The family from Bendigo in Victoria, who asked to remain anonymous, were walking their dog — fittingly named Lucky — on the outskirts of town on Sunday morning when the daughter kicked something hard lying on the ground.

At first, the father and his two daughters were unsure of what they had found — but it has since been confirmed by experts as a 624 gram gold nugget with an estimated value of at least $35,000 ($37,000).

"I actually walked right past it but my daughter pretty much kicked it as she was walking. She then goes — dad, is this gold? I said, I think it might be," the father told the Bendigo Advertiser.

The stunned family first took their find to an IGA supermarket to weigh it, with the rock coming in at 624 grams, or 20 ounces.  The father said he had been informed the nugget would likely be worth more than the A$35,000 estimate if it was sold whole, and that he did plan to sell it eventually.  He said the unexpected windfall had come at a crucial time.

"We've come on some tough times so it's really good because we've been struggling financially. It couldn't be better timing really," he told the Bendigo Advertiser.  "Just having it at home, I've been like where do we store it? I haven't been sleeping very well and we think it's best just to sell it."  He said the "really random find" had inspired the family to return to the site and look for more gold lying beneath the surface.  "Usually when you find a nugget that big, there will be more gold around so hopefully that's the case," he told the publication.

However, it's not the first time an Aussie has struck it rich.  Last September, a huge gold nugget worth at least A$110,000 was uncovered by a retired prospector in remote Western Australia.  That find weighed in at a hefty 3.23 kilograms and was dubbed "Duck's Foot" because of its unique shape.    And in 2017, Surfers Paradise gold digger Greg Cooke made headlines after finding several gold nuggets on a northern Gold Coast beach over several visits.

In fact, Australia is famous for its treasure trove of gold nuggets, with eight of the world's 10 largest found in the country over the years.  The "Welcome Stranger" nugget, pictured below, weighing between 2380 and 2284 ounces, is the biggest ever found on the planet and was discovered at Moliagul, near Dunolly in Victoria, in 1869.

QV7DKFHKUVE2RPTNHULEXLNJ4I.jpg
The "Welcome Stranger" nugget, weighing between 2380 and 2284 ounces, is the biggest ever found on the planet. Photo / Supplied

Source:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=12230581

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

what can you say  ?

What has the guy sitting in the Gold Coast sand dunes got to do with the find in Bendigo? Nothing! Just more lazy rubbish from News Corp. They couldn't even put up a photo of the real 20oz nugget, which the Bendigo Advertiser at least did.

The guy in the sand dunes is definately not related to the finder in any way, and the piece he is holding looks to be only a couple of ounces.

• Like 2

Real one (The Age)577fecd2070ebcf1974c693a86d4599676fa7c35

• Like 4

They said in another article he found that on the beach at Gold Coast along with several others.  I would expect that to be the weirdest place to find nuggets.  I spent all those years living there and could have detected the living daylights out of it but didn't even consider it 😞

https://www.news.com.au/finance/money/wealth/bendigo-man-finds-624g-gold-nugget-worth-35000-while-walking-dog/news-story/310de4c6f50258f0219aee146d6a80df

• Like 2

There is no way on earth nuggets were found on Gold Coast beach. Total rubbish.

2 minutes ago, Reg Wilson said:

There is no way on earth nuggets were found on Gold Coast beach. Total rubbish.

I thought the same, it just doesn't seem right, unless someone dropped them 🙂

This was the story on it

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/wtf/surfers-paradise-gold-digger-finds-four-more-nuggets-in-the-sand-on-gold-coast-beach/news-story/9295cf02f989a29c6b9e60f34f425215

Take a look at those colors. They are red stained. Need I say more?

• Like 2

All this publicity about GOLD FINDS seem like the early day when Nuggets showed up just before Easter, Xmas, school holidays and the release of a NEW Detector.:rolleyes:. I remember when a new detector was released and a photo of mine turned up in a major Victorian News Paper.:rolleyes: At least the photographer had got the rights from me two years early for use of the photo. I still have a copy of the article with my gold memories. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Any chance of posting it Geoff?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Steve Herschbach
      “The single biggest hoard of Celtic coins ever found is now thought to be two separate stashes that were buried together. The Le Câtillon II hoard includes 70,000 gold and silver coins and 11 gold torques, or necklaces, and dates to the First Century AD. Researchers believe that two distinct tribes created the currency, due to variations in the quality of their production as well as the metals used. The collection, thought to be worth £10million ($13million), was brought to the island and buried - most likely to hide it from Roman invaders, experts say.”
      Full story and photos here
    • By AussieDigs
      Still no luck. Large nails which look to possibly hold timber rail. I know one mine in this group still has the track intact. Bullet head and shells, plenty of old iron. I scoured the steep hillside which tested my knee and foot. My foot is full of titanium and registeres a signal all too often. Being removed soon.

• By Steve Herschbach
      “A man who unearthed a £145,000 Anglo-Saxon pendant has found more treasure dating back about 800 years. Tom Lucking's latest find saw him dig up a brooch dating back to between 1200 and 1300 in Wymondham, Norfolk in September.
      In 2014, the then student found a pendant in Winfarthing, Norfolk dating from circa 630AD. Mr Lucking, 27, said the brooch, which features two lions and is studded with two pink stones, was a "special" find.”
      Full story and photos here
    • By mn90403
      Tuesday I leave for OZ as it turns out now it is a scouting trip for those to follow.  I'll still be there when Condor and crew shows up some place in the Triangle.
      I don't live on gold so I had to take a trip to find it.   As a matter of fact I've taken a few in the last couple of months but I've come up 'short' on each of those trips.  I've not had anything worth posting either.  This time I went to Gold Basin again which is 6 hours for me. 
      This trip started out with a nice conversation with a guy who told me about 'finds' he knew about and he had made.  He warned me about a couple of things.  One was the snakes.  He had been bitten while reaching into a bush but said later it was a 'dry bite' so he survived without knowing the snake had hit his arm.  The other thing he 'warned' me about was all the gold had been taken by the 7000s!  He told me he was hunting in way out places now and had found good gold but not close in.  Ok, both of these warnings will make me more ready for OZ.  haha
      I left him and detected with the 800 first on a site that had been a loading platform for dirt to be processed.  I've hunted near this site before but not with the 800.  It has lots and lots of trash.  My first good target looked like a penny (20 on the screen) and sure enough it was but it was a Lincoln.  Ok, that was different.  I remembered I had seen where someone had found a gold coin in the area this year so I kept looking.  Not far from this penny I got a dime sound (25) and thought oh, great but then it was also a penny but a wheatie (1947D).  That was a good start. 
      Now it was time to hunt for gold in some 'worked' places.  I was looking at the previous areas where gold had been found hoping to find missed or undetected nuggets.  I've armed myself now with deep seeking settings!  Nothing at the next several locations but I've had a good start.  It was time to find some meteorites and a place to stay with the 4Runner for the night.
      Meteorites were tough also.  I got a little one and then travelled to a different area.  I got another one and just before driving off into the sunset I got a 90 gram sunbaker!
      The next morning I got up and searched around.  I was looking down on Lake Mead.  I looked in that area to no avail and then headed to known gold areas for me.  I hunted and hunted and finally found a 1.3 g nugget to break the skunk!  
      I was going to make a better story out of this but there are distraction here.  haha  Enjoy the pictures.
      In the collection picture I have an odd flat shaped nugget of some sort.  Any ideas?
      Mitchel

• By Condor
      I hate to distract us from the spirited discussion of ZED aftermarket coils and new gold detectors, but I've been working on a plan to spend a few months downunder detecting WA.  I sold some gold to finance the operation and convinced my Baja detecting partner we need to get us some Aussie gold.  Just so you know I'm not a idiot and going off half cocked here, I purchased the premium edition of Nurse Paul's primer "Yank's guide to plundering Aussie Gold".  Some very helpful information..."when handling sharp digging tools, always wear flip flops".  Or the timeless, "When drinking a few cold ones with the locals, the acceptable ratio is 3 to 1.  Buy 1, drink 3, it makes them feel superior."  What could possible go wrong with that kind of wisdom at my disposal?  Yeah I know, $16,000 worth of detectors got stolen while he slept on watch, but that could have happened to anyone.  He's matured alot since then.
      Seriously though, we leave May 19 and don't expect to return until my 90 day visa expires.  Paul has in fact helped me get a handle on the geography, Ute selection and basic gear requirements.  We'll be boondocking it, living on road kill and brown snakes with a case of Vegimite for emergencies.   I've already purchased one of the new X-coils 17" for the Zed which will be waiting for me when I arrive.  I had a sacrificial coil cable for the jumper connection since I destroyed the original 14" stock coil, long story, but apparently you're not supposed to drag that coil behind the Rokon at cruising speed down desert dirt roads for a couple miles.  Who knew they were so fragile?  Wore right through the plastic housing and exposed the copper windings, bummer.  But, I've got me a $900.00 Minelab chipped coil cable so the glass is half full.
      Nevertheless, an adventure is at hand.  I'll post updates and photos as opportunities present.