Sign in to follow this  
PG-Prospecting

Minelab Equinox 800 Vs. Gold Monster 1000

Finally go the video finished of comparing equinox 800 to the gold monster 1000 on in-situ targets in the field.  This is my no mean the comprehensive review as im sure the settings on the equinox could be tweaked more produce even better results.  But from what i saw on my ground they were vary evenly matched.  The gold monster seemed to pop a little harder on the targets, but the equinox still hit all the targets the gm1000 hit.  Since i detect mainly creeks the equinox has a leg up since its water proof and i dont have to worry about it getting wet or falling in the creek.  Hope you guys enjoy the video and ill take more footage as i work this little patch.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Your thoughts about mirror mine, there is very little in it and you've demonstrated very well to people why you can't ignore those negative numbers on the Equinox, if it flicks off -8 or -9 even once for me I dig it, only if it's a solid -9 or -8 do a pass over it and even then I could be missing gold but in our hot rock areas you just have no choice.  In cleaner ground I'd just dig it all.  Even a much larger nugget at depth comes up in those high negative numbers.

To me the boosted loud audio on the Gold Monster is slighter better than the Equinox making targets stand out more, other than that.. very evenly matched.   The thing I like best about the Equinox is just how sensitive the 11" coil is to tiny gold as I do greatly enjoy the ground coverage you can get with it over the 6".

If someone owns one of them there is really no need to rush out and buy the other one unless there is a feature they want on it.  If you were picking which one to buy out of the two I'd buy the Equinox, mainly because it's multi purpose, waterproof and just as good for finding gold.

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Alex dragongold
      Hi all, just wanna show u this find ,was  in a breccia pipe, its not gold but its beautiful too ,cuprite crystal with native copper thanks to the gold monster, regards 👍

• By ColonelDan
      In a previous post of mine, I made the case for using 3 tones based on Low, Medium and High conductive targets; a system I routinely use in hunting our Florida beaches.  It's simple, effective and gives me the information I really need.
      The videos below however, make a strong case for 2 tones and the "Dig it All" approach when using the Equinox series detectors.   Why?  As you'll see in those videos, the tested targets span the VDI spectrum based on metallurgical composition, shape and size. Granted, these are nothing more than air tests which aren't affected by depth, moisture or ground mineralization but they at least provide some indication as to how a variety of targets range the VDI scale based on their individual characteristics.
      If using 2 tones, I would personally set the tone breaks at -9 to 0 using tone pitch 1 indicating probable junk and the second tone break at 1 thru 40 using tone pitch 25.
      If I were interested only in a more detailed target description, I would lean heavily toward the CTX 3030.  However, in the type of beach hunting I do, I favor the Multi IQ, faster processor, enhanced sensitivity and weight of the EQX over the CTX...just my personal preference or as I always say, "Just the view from my foxhole."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsgspduZA_8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7345qtsc7s&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMHH5ynSwW0&feature=youtu.be
    • By Rosemary
      Need help. My equinox 600 doesn't change discrimination patterns when I switch detect modes. I am always in all metal mode. My boyfriend has the same machine and his changes with each mode...he doesn't know why mine does not. I can't figure it out...help please.
    • By sdbirder
      I was having a relatively slow morning detecting at La Jolla Shores Beach in San Diego today, about $1 in clad and a euro coin when a young woman came up asking for help finding a ring. She was frantic and her husband was second guessing, saying it must be at home and asking when was the last time she saw it? She kept insisting it was here right here, next to the seawall. With just a couple swipes of my Equinox 800/15" coil I had it in the scoop. She was ecstatic and gave me a big hug. I've always dreamt of finding a big expensive engagement ring whilst detecting. I've gotten a few gold bands but nothing like this! I obviously didn't get to keep it, but it seemed to bring some good karma to the day and I found two large silver rings shortly afterward. She insisted on getting my info and address so I might be getting a reward or thank you letter later. Here's a couple pics of the expensive ring, the happy owner and the two silvers I got afterward.

• By GlazedTofu
      Been out awhile end of year at school has kept me busy. 
      Thought it would be interesting to hear everyone’s favorite go to.
      I primarily hit coal mining ghost towns and run 
      Nox 600 
      Field 1 and 2 all metal 50 tone
      sens 16-20
      recovery 3 
      IB-0
      I try new setups but end up back to where I started, some days are better than others.
      hope everyone is getting out and enjoying!

• By Daniel Tn
      Editor note: split from https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/9945-my-salt-water-report-card/

I agree with ya on some of your points and grades.
      After a year of using the Equinox, I can give a fair assessment on where it ranks and how it compares to other detectors for the uses that I do.  If I were solely a beach hunter, I would personally feel more confident with a CTX 3030.  I personally feel it has more depth to it in that arena.  Even in freshwater, I put a good season of water hunting in with the CTX and all last year with the Nox.  I found more rings last year with the Nox but I also found triple as much small junk that slowed me down...stuff that fell through the scoop, and or just disappeared.  This alone has me wanting to snag a good used CTX.  
      On saltwater beach...this is an even stronger feeling of favoring the CTX to me. I personally didn't mind the weight of the unit. I find the screen is easier to see on the Nox, particularly in direct sun light.  I even like the feel of the Nox.  I just feel from what I see, that the 3030 has more muscle to it in that area. I can't ever remember having a target that disappeared/vanished on me once I scooped a hole while hunting with the CTX.  I had some I almost gave up on cause they were so deep though.  The Nox will do the Houdini act in salt sand and in dirt....it doesn't like open holes at all.  
      When it comes to hunting in mineralized soil and coin/relic hunting back home...this changes big time. Even though the CTX is revered as a great coin machine, it is handicapped a lot by red dirt.  The Nox runs circles around it there.  Like night and day difference.  Hunting in iron...same thing.  Heavily favored to the Nox.  This leaves me in a split mood.  Most of my summer hunting IS in the water for jewelry, albeit freshwater.  The Nox will find the same rings as the CTX...but it also wants to lock onto those small pieces of crap that fall through the scoop. I need to figure out a way to have both and hope the wife doesn't find out 🙂