ATX Updates?

I noticed Steve mentioned in his post where he rebuilt an ATX into his LTX that he said something about not using his 1st ATX because he'd been using the new one...…...I've been researching for days, eyes are crossing and I can't find anything about any updates to the ATX since it was released in 2013...….except on one thread a person (this year in spring of 2019) said that their new ATX came with a different cord (so possibly Garrett has recently addressed their degrading cord issue?)  Does anyone know anything about either of these? 1. have their been any upgrades to the ATX since 2013 introduction? 2. did Garrett finally fix the cord degredation issue this spring?

I am not aware of any changes to the ATX but that does not mean there have not been any. No upgrades were ever announced, that’s for sure, so no reason you would find info that does not exist. Manufacturers however often make model changes without announcing anything. Have you asked Garrett?

Yes. People call or email and ask questions of manufacturers all the time. They won’t always answer questions but they will answer a lot more than people think. Personally, given the complaints about the ATX coil cables, Garrett would be smart to tell people the cable has been upgraded. If it has not, they would either say so, or ignore the question, which is the same thing.

I don’t know this for sure but I suspect the coil cable issue has been vastly overblown. First of all, it’s only the water guys making the complaint anyway. And out of those only a minority, but minorities can be noisy on the Internet. Garrett may simply not be experiencing failures at the rate people assume, and so they may consider replacing coils with failed cables to be the more expedient route, especially if they have a 10,000 foot reel of the stuff on hand!

I do not have an ATX at this time but if I wanted another concerns about the coil cable would not be enough to put me off. All detectors can fail but the odds are so low of that happening with any of them I just do not see it as a factor in my purchases. I assume all detectors will fail and always have a backup which greatly reduces any worries.

Thanks for the info Steve, Given the sheer volume of complaints about the cable issue and the fact that probably of 98% of my hunting will be on the beach and n the water I decided to swing a Minelab Equinox to start out.  I'm new to detecting and it just seems like an easy detector to start with while not compromising too much.  What would your thoughts be on the new tech in Minelabs 7000 if they repackaged it someday in the future into a waterproof detector?  Would that be good tech for the beach?

Shawn I dont think the 7000 is a suitable beach machine, its set up for prospecting. If you want to get a better detector then look at a CTX3030, but make sure its the mark II with improved sealing on battery.

4 hours ago, Seeker Shawn said:

What would your thoughts be on the new tech in Minelabs 7000 if they repackaged it someday in the future into a waterproof detector?  Would that be good tech for the beach?

The GPZ is like a super VLF that easily detects saltwater, making it a poor candidate for beach use.

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 10:29 AM, robin said:

Shawn I dont think the 7000 is a suitable beach machine, its set up for prospecting. If you want to get a better detector then look at a CTX3030, but make sure its the mark II with improved sealing on battery.

ok, thanks guys...…...anxiously awaiting some better tech for the beach......the way the CTX3030 misses gold chains leaves a lot to be desired for me. I opted for the Equinox 800 because all the reviews I saw it pretty much held it's own with the CTX and it is much lighter and doesn't miss gold chains...…..looking for an even better option though.

48 minutes ago, Seeker Shawn said:

ok, thanks guys...…...anxiously awaiting some better tech for the beach......the way the CTX3030 misses gold chains leaves a lot to be desired for me. I opted for the Equinox 800 because all the reviews I saw it pretty much held it's own with the CTX and it is much lighter and doesn't miss gold chains...…..looking for an even better option though.

The ctx gets most gold chains, the really thin ones not but the EQ needs to be right on top of it and the chain needs to be on surface, even then the EQ signal is weak.