Tesla App Based Detector?

It would seem inevitable when you look at what XP has done with wireless coils. Everyone already owns the best color screen control box billions of dollars can make, with screens and processing power galore. And built in GPS! Take calls while detecting - well, that might not be a selling point but you get my drift. Another great idea that should be happening here first but instead we are seeing it from overseas. I am sure it has limitations but the way tech is advancing it really is just a matter of time.

Cant see dirty hands and a touch screen being very practical. After translating the web site, it looks like it is not based around using you existing phone, but it looks like they used a phone as the control box and you have to buy it. App phone tech is certainly something we are going to see more of with Minelab all ready going that direction and it looks like XP are going that way as well.

They make hundreds of things that fix the dirty finger issue for cell phones. I can get totally submersible cases for my iPhone. Underwater detector! I do not see the DEUS control box as being any less prone to wet dirty finger issues. The fact is once the detector is set up you don't play with the controls much if at all anyway.

Whoever does this right is going to score. Most old line companies will avoid it because it will eat into what most mainly sell you, which is the control box and what is in it. But XP has proven the working guts can all be in the coil, and the box is just a control and display interface.

Hey, I am the old fashioned give me a wired coil guy here. But I can tell a big seller when I see it. Even if it were just a basic park coin shooter it would appeal to a very large market. I know this Russian detector is not it but the concept is a gold mine for the outfit that does it right.

Sell me the coil and make the app open source so we can all modify if we wish and watch the combined ingenuity of the community take over.

• Like 3

Sell me the coil and make the app open source so we can all modify if we wish and watch the combined ingenuity of the community take over.

Wow just imagine the possibilities, I can see why the old firm would not want it coming but, you know what it is coming and if they don't jump on ship sooner rather than later they will be left behind. 

One limitation for powerful gold machines will be the phone battery life, but even that can be fixed with piggy back lipo packs.

Using the phone as the brains and having a box containing the power electronics would resolve this

Anyone up for a patent application here?

On December 7, 2015 at 9:52 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

Whoever does this right is going to score. Most old line companies will avoid it because it will eat into what most mainly sell you, which is the control box and what is in it. But XP has proven the working guts can all be in the coil, and the box is just a control and display interface.

Hey, I am the old fashioned give me a wired coil guy here. But I can see a big seller when I see it. Even if it were just a basic park coin shooter it would appeal to a very large market. I know this Russian detector is not it but the concept is a gold mine for the outfit that does it right.

Of course the world would be better with open source "apps" that do whatever we want for free. That model is breaking down at present due to lack of incentive on the part of the folks who write the code but that could change. As long as consumers are willing to pay 100s of dollars for a marginal computing device but want free or low cost "apps" to get use out of their purchase the quality of "apps" is going to be stuck at Candy Crush and Minelab's 20 year old XChange 2 format. Relying on "free" for your software does have it's drawbacks.

It's really ultimately going to be up to the "old line" companies to come up with an "app". Either they need to pony up on the R&D costs or license their technology because the actual final results are determined by the processing of the raw signal no matter what method was used to produce it. Those processing systems are proprietary and are what distinguish the capabilities of one detector from another, all else being equal.

I don't think phones, in their present form, are capable of handling that processing, but they are getting closer. The big octa-core processors can now handle the math involved but the bus speeds are still a stumbling block. The new iPhone upped the bus speed, and performance, considerably but with it's dual core processor it's about the slowest of the "smart" phones when it comes to math.

Breaking the multi core, bus speed, graphics, battery capacity, heat circle is the big task ahead for phones. They've got a long way to go to catch up with even your average home computer much less the purpose built processing of a device like a modern pi detector. Their small size and low power radio requirements just don't allow the use of the latest speed technologies.

Other than bus speed improvements coprocessors are probably the best way to get the capability needed. The Apple M7 coprocessor and the Motorola 8 core split show that coprocessors can lead the way to faster computing on phones but they also demonstrate that phone makers are more interested in adding more locational ability, better graphics and games than they are in making a computer like device.

The smart phone is, after all is said and done, a walkie talkie with interesting and sometimes useful features added. As long as the bulk of the buying public finds that formula desirable the processing power advances that might lead to a sophisticated and responsive phone app based detector are going to be incidental at best.

Eventually we will break out of the concept of phones and detectors being different machines just as most people today see email as a cell phone or web technology (it isn't). When that time comes I doubt we will be waving smart phones at our detectors but I'm not a prophet and stuff happens in the future that I haven't lived yet. It's always "anything can happen day". :D

You are making it too hard Barry. The heavy work is done in the coil. The phone is just the interface. It might mean a $500 coil and a $20 app (free with coil). Though an iPad Pro surpasses most home computers in processing power right now and I doubt the phones will be far behind, I just don't think detectors have as much processing power in them as you think anyway. A pay for app would be a near certainty; the open source idea was just wishful thinking.

I hear what you are saying but I never thought my phone would replace my camera and GPS yet I am about there. Never say never when it comes to technology. XP is working on it right this minute. Their controllers are just that and no reason a phone can't replace them.

• Like 1