What Type Of Metal Detector Hand Grip Do You Prefer?

"S" Grip or Post/Pistol Grip  

58 members have voted

1. 1. "S" Grip or Post/Pistol Grip

• Post Grip
    • "S" Grip

Subject came up elsewhere so I thought I would run a little poll. The poll only gives you two choices but if you want to post about what you think your number one most comfortable detector model has ever been that would be great. It could be a lousy detector in every other way, all I am looking for it what detectors feel best on your arm when held for long hours. There are no right or wrong answers - this is a personal preference thing, determined in large part by hand and forearm size.

The "S" rod grip is where the grip is just part of the rod itself, not a separate element. The Post grip is a separate post attached to the rod. Lots of people call this a pistol grip, but that really is more about the shape of the grip. I have seen good pistol grips in an S rod design. There are also Post grips on S rods so it is not the S that makes for the S rod grip but the fact it is integrated into the S. The photos here make it more obvious. There is a difference simply between curved shafts and straight shafts but that is actually a separate subject so I will make a separate poll on it.

classic-metal-detector-s-rod-design.jpg.classic-metal-detector-post-grip-design.metal-detector-s-rod-configuration.jpg.6metal-detector-post-grip-configuration.jmetal-detector-s-rod-pistol-grip-design.curved-rod-post-grip-metal-detector.jpg.

I would like to see an adjustable angle post grip. A few degrees forward to back for detecting above or below your foot level and about 30 degrees right or left for detecting the sides of a gully.  I used a wing nut to tighten the handle on the GPXs and was able to detect side hill much more efficiently.

On 1/19/2016 at 11:28 AM, klunker said:

I would like to see an adjustable angle post grip. A few degrees forward to back for detecting above or below your foot level and about 30 degrees right or left for detecting the sides of a gully.  I used a wing nut to tighten the handle on the GPXs and was able to detect side hill much more efficiently.

That shouldn't be hard to make .... almost like a joystick with a thumb lock....

• Like 1

The GPZ would come in last place, imo.

But I love it anyway.

I agree. The hard plastic grip just isn't very comfortable to me. I wrapped it in some thick tennis racket grip tape and that helped a lot. It's really hard to beat the adjustability and comfort of the foam grips on the GPX models.

Most comfortable to me was probably the Fisher F-75. It was the first "expensive" detector I bought and I remember assembling it was like wow this thing is a Cadillac compared to the Tesoros I was using before.

• Like 1

If I had to say just one then I guess "s" rod. But whatever detector I use I just adapt. As long as it finds gold. Also quick note on gpx 5000 handle. I never broke one, but I can see that happening. Come on minelab. For an expensive detector why put on a dollar tree handle.and over $100 to replace, for a cheap piece of plastic and foam and a dainty wire. Makes no sense. Build a good one like nokta/makro.

• Like 1

I think the Deus should not be included as an S rod...It seems to be a hybrid of the S rod and the Post grip.  It is also the most comfortable detector I have.

strick

• Like 1

You hit the nail on the head strick. Post or S does not matter in my opinion, it is in how you design the grip itself, angle and shape. People usually say they hate S rod grips, but that is because most S rod grips are nothing more than cushion over a tube. XP shows how to do an S rod right. Maybe we call that a "Z" rod?

The gun people make an art out of it. Can you imagine Smith and Wesson coming out with a pistol, and the grip is just a round tube with rubber over it?

• Like 4

Your not wrong Strick.........If only the Z was at least 40% comfy like the Deus. You calling the Deus shaft a Z shaft Steve, Crikey :D

• Like 2