Makro Racer 2 Prototype Vs Gold Racer On Buried Gold Nuggets

The video on the two detectors shows that the Gold Racer is great on gold. Would the Racer 2 be any better on a small gold ring ? I'm wanting  a coin and jewelry detector but I don't see this video help me make that decision.

Keith I've always enjoyed every video you made. I look forward to any others you make in the future. Thank you for your time doing them.

Chuck

Well, we are looking at a 0.6 grain and 3.6 grain gold nuggets. Of course a 56 kHz machine slays a 14 kHz detector for tiny gold.

I want a Racer 2 specifically for jewelry hunting first, coin detecting second, and actually think it will be a good nugget hunting alternative to the Gold Racer.

Everything in metal detecting involves trade offs. The Gold Racer is obviously hotter on small gold and would be better than the Racer 2 on single post ear rings, thin gold chains, and other micro jewelry. However, it will also love tiny aluminum bits. For nugget detecting, the Gold Racer pays a price by being more reactive to bad ground and hot rocks and so can be challenging to run in disc modes in that type of ground.

My interest in the Racer 2 involves the fact it will be on par with most of the 14 kHz units, which means still very good on gold, especially gold rings. Just not on micro jewelry or tiny nuggets, but also not on tiny aluminum. It should also run smoother in bad ground than the Gold Racer, and in theory at least perhaps have an edge on 1/4 ounce and larger nuggets in really bad ground. There is a point where high frequency fights you in mineralized ground for sheer penetration as you get too much blowback from ground signal. In low mineral ground I would always expect the Gold Racer to have the edge however on gold of any size.

These are the trade offs you always see in VLF detecting. The Racer 2 should also be a better high conductor (coins and silver jewelry) detector than the Gold Racer although maybe not quite as good as a detector running in the single digit frequency range. Toss in all the vastly superior tone settings and I have to have a Racer 2. But my Gold Racer is going nowhere. I am actually very curious to see how they both fare as jewelry machines and just where the lines get drawn in the gold jewelry versus aluminum battle.

• Like 8

I ordered one of the R2's after using the red racer for the past year. I'm excited to try it out as a jewelry machine. I plan on raising the iron disc to just cover small foil, putting the high tone in the middle and the mid tones copper penny and up. Then set the iron audio low. I think Steve mentioned something similar.

We are so used to companies delivering the same detectors for 10 - 15 years we don't know what to make of a company company coming out with detectors so quickly. The thing is they only had a couple models and are trying to fill out an entire product lineup. Each model is not replacing the last - just occupying different niches in a complete catalog of detectors. I would expect when they get "caught up" things will settle down.

Nokta/Makro has got nothing on First Texas (Bounty Hunter, Fisher, Teknetics) when it comes to having a zillion flavors of vanilla to choose from.

• Like 3

Bring on the Impact (higher end), and PI gold machine...just not tomorrow :-) 

The Gold Racer can certainly find the bits, and I meant small. Pinged this one today, barely :blink:

Racer 2 bit.jpg