Some Vortex Questions Answered

As to the iron volume on the VX5, if I remember right from the quick start guides, the iron volume was shown lower than normal volume in the program defaults. 
I know your 9 is a prototype but how was the default setting of iron to normal volume?  

On 7/4/2024 at 4:52 PM, Noah (FL) said:

As to the iron volume on the VX5, if I remember right from the quick start guides, the iron volume was shown lower than normal volume in the program defaults. 
I know your 9 is a prototype but how was the default setting of iron to normal volume?  

Unfortunately that is subjective. I have high frequency hearing loss so low tones sound louder to me than they are. Let me play with it again some more, including with and without headphones, and get back later on that one. Remember the VX5 has no iron volume at all but I think it is safe to assume it defaults to the same as with the other models that do have the feature. 

I would say what I have is closer to pre-production than prototype status. They are about ready to ship and my unit certainly works well enough. I saw an uneducated comment by a guy on Findmall thinking Garrett had failed since they are still tweaking the software at this point. News flash - been that way with every detector for every brand for at least the last 20 years. A detector is not even done just because it ships! My iPhone and PC updates never stop coming, one a month at least, and detectors are trending in the same direction. The number of Nokta Legend updates are, well, Legendary. So yeah, they are improving it now, and will keep improving it later. It's a dream for engineers as any engineer will tell you no product is ever really done. Back in the day you just got as far as you could before the ship date, and then it was done. But it never really was done, they just put a gun to the engineers head and said "Stop"! :smile:

I'll try to answer some questions on this thread, or explain why I will not at this time.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Having a Vortex in hand and knowing what I know now this might be a fun thing for people with the right attitude. The Vortex is a near infinite sandbox for an engineer. The detector will never be finished per se, because feedback from users will be critical in defining if there are bugs that need fixing, and more importantly, what general free updates or full blown paid upgrades would be desirable. People who get on board with the process with genuine helpful feedback will be influential in driving the platform forward over the coming years. The Negative Nellie’s and those who like to cast firebombs for eyeballs, not so much. I’ve created the Garrett Vortex Forum as a place where like-minded individuals can discuss the platform in a positive fashion, with the promise that it will be seen by the people that matter. People who just want to complain or generally rain on the parade will be excluded. So if that sounds like something you might be interested in, come join the fun!

garrett-vortex-vx9-metal-detector-ms3-headphones-zlynk-pinpointer.jpg

@Steve Herschbach  can you answer a question for me that I have been wondering about

(and I am sure others would like to know also)

with the supplied coil that will come with the Vortex how is the balance and over all feel of the Vortex with the supplied coil just curious

On 7/4/2024 at 4:52 PM, Noah (FL) said:

OK, just checked and the Iron Volume default of 4 is indeed audibly about half the main volume at 8. Looks like I chased myself into roughly the same thing with main volume 2 and iron volume 1. Probably the headphones got me off track. This time I simply went with default main volume 8 and iron volume 4, reduced headphone volume until the main target responses were comfortable, and iron was about where I like it. In other words the defaults with headphone volume reduced was good for me. Without headphones - well, just depends where you are and what the background noise level is. This thing has plenty of external speaker volume. I assume that reducing the main volume reduces the iron volume proportionally on the VX5 so all should be good.

garrett-vortex-factory-default-settings.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DSMITH said:

@Steve Herschbach  can you answer a question for me that I have been wondering about

(and I am sure others would like to know also)

with the supplied coil that will come with the Vortex how is the balance and over all feel of the Vortex with the supplied coil just curious

01-Vortex-VX5--Gallery.jpg?itok=Td_YaZ_8

I'm a S rod fan but can't complain about how the Vortex felt on my arm. Honestly about like all the other similarly outfitted models out there these days, and it will depend on how big your hand is etc. as to which fine differences matter to you. No doubt some might like other models better, some like Vortex better. Long story short I think it is fine.

Some will think the Raider coil a tad nose heavy just like all the other models that come with 11" coils. The Viper might feel better to some people, but I think Garrett made the right choice for people who want good depth with the coil that comes with the machine. I did not need the arm strap at all, took it off, and that is partly because the slight nose heavy balance means the arm cup is firm on my arm without the strap. My hand likes the grip but that's very subjective related to hand size. My hands are not large. The upper arm cup is a near perfect fit for my kind of skinny arm so no doubt there will be some complaints from the big arm guys. It's completely flexible and will spread out to fit any arm but you know how people are.

The bottom line for me is that at 3 lbs. I simply do not have an issue with detectors. I'm used to swinging 4 - 7 lb. detectors all day long, and so all these featherweight machines are all dreams come true as far as I am concerned. One of my favorite all time machines has been the Equinox. The battery that was in the handle was larger than what is used now, and my hand went through a serious adjustment phase with that detector. The models made since by various companies now use a smaller batteries and the grips are more oval/contoured than the round post used on Equinox 800, and so all of them feel better to me than my old Equinox. They all are a bit nose heavy with 11" coils, and all tend to feel better with the next smaller coil size. The Vortex is no different.

The two upper rods are powder coated metal and lower rod is plastic. At full extension the lower rod exhibits some flex, but since there is plenty of adjustment I kept it a hair short of full extension and it was fine. A tall water hunter at full extension may have issue with it. The upper rod has two locked detent button positions. The lower rod slides variably but is grooved on each side so it can't rotate.

garrett-vortex-metal-detector-search-coils-headphone-accessory-options.jpg

• Like 3

I've noticed the coils have the squared off backs on them, I'm assuming this stops the dreaded fall over when you put the detector down stuff that happens with so many detectors?

garrett-vortex-raider-search-coil.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

OK, just checked and the Iron Volume default of 4 is indeed audibly about half the main volume at 8. Looks like I chased myself into roughly the same thing with main volume 2 and iron volume 1. Probably the headphones got me off track. This time I simply went with default main volume 8 and iron volume 4, reduced headphone volume until the main target responses were comfortable, and iron was about where I like it. In other words the defaults with headphone volume reduced was good for me. Without headphones - well, just depends where you are and what the background noise level is. This thing has plenty of external speaker volume. 

Thanks for the info!  I will probably be starting with the 5 and upgrade if it feels lacking.  I’m used to Garrett’s usual 3 tone breaks and never detect at the beach.   The Garrett detectors I’ve used have never had a problem with volume, you can hear an AT from a mile away 😂 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, phrunt said:

I've noticed the coils have the squared off backs on them, I'm assuming this stops the dreaded fall over when you put the detector down stuff that happens with so many detectors? 

Not so much stops rollover as reduces it. I never had an issue with rollover park hunting at least but would say the Vortex is average in that regard. All the pods on a stick are inherently top heavy.

Closer look at the handle/grip:

garrett-vortex-handle-grip.jpg

• Like 2